letter of resignation

kuulani

i'm about to write my very first one ... any tips?

and should i just sneak it in to my boss' tray or should i go in and explain my reasons to her?

A lot of that would depend on the reasons, your relationship with said boss, and wether or not you care about any possible recomendations from said employment.

These are people that you've known for years as near family if not outright family. Go ahead and be direct and tell them that you are resigning and that you will deliver the letter by the end of the day. Just be sure to clear out your desk the day before just in case things go sour.

Again, it all depends upon the reasons and general work climate.

This is the school, no?

Write the letter giving them a date of the last day you will be working (I give at least two weeks)...

As far as giving a reason why it would depend on your relationship with the boss...

it's a tough situation ... it kinda is a family-run charter school, the problem is it isn't run by someone in the family anymore.

besides that, they dropped me from a full-time to part-time. i just can't live on that kind of pay.

i just feel a little bad about leaving in the middle of a school year, so i will offer to stay until the 1st quarter is over at the end of the month. that's pretty decent of me, isn't it? :D

Considering that you were dropped to part time, anything more than 2 weeks is cream on your part.

The other question is... what jobs are there for a MEd in the middle of a school year? Most of those full time positions fill up before school starts.

The hubby still working up on the mountain?

Hey - they were the ones who cut your hours. Like Unc says, make sure your comp is cleared of everything personal and your desk is cleared of anything you wanna keep or... need to photocopy? :D

Considering that you were dropped to part time, anything more than 2 weeks is cream on your part.

The other question is... what jobs are there for a MEd in the middle of a school year? Most of those full time positions fill up before school starts.

The hubby still working up on the mountain?

That's what I was thinking. So is 2 weeks too much? Could I just up and leave now?

I'm moving to an office position at another school. The pay is better and I don't have to work with whiny kids who didn't do their homework *lol*

Hubby is still on the mountain, 3 days on, 4 days off. He loves it!

I don't know about over there, but here the notice of the length of notice required is usually specified in the Individual or Collective Agreements. Usually it's 2 weeks to a month.

If you're not sure how to format a resignation letter, I find googling helps : e.g. http://jobsearchtech.about.com/od/letters/l/aa030998_6.htm

As far as doing it, if you're ending on good terms, then it's preferable to talk to them first before dumping a resignation letter in their cubby (and then giving it to them in person). If it's NOT ending on good terms, then email them a copy of the resignation letter, and then cc a hard copy to them in their cubby.

Most places here are considered to have "at-will employment." At least non-union jobs... I can't speak for union jobs because I've never had one. But at-will employment means they can shitcan you at any time for any reason... but conversely, you can quit at any time for any reason. No notice required from either side. Two weeks is customary but not required.

Oh... and here, we have a 3 strikes you're out system. they can't just fire your ass unless there's a REALLY good reason.

Ku'u... you've been there for years. Give them the full two weeks. Otherwise you give them wiggle room to put a black mark on your resume'. When people call for a reference, they can say that you walked without notice. Also, in making the old job angry, they may not want to give stellar cooperation in talking to new employers.

Yeah, like unc said, don't burn any bridges by just up and quitting. That kind of thing can come back and bite you in the ass. We have a lot of people quitting here, and they are not saying where they are going. In turn, the management is getting pissed because it helps them figure out what they are doing wrong. In turn, if said quitter ever wants a reference from here, they'll be hard pressed to get one from someone in a high up position.

Anyway, good luck with the new job. No whiny kids must be a HUGE bonus! :D

Ku'u - did you tell the boss yet? Can't wait til you come on board with me on the daaaarrrrk side .. :)

The problem is the former principal (who was a distant family member ... i say distant because i have no respect for him anymore) up and quit last christmas ... how can a principal up-and-quit in the middle of the school year?

Anywho, once the former principal quit, this school is becoming less and less about family. The office staff has powertrips, no one is communicating ... it's not a good work environment anymore.

YOU LEFT THE FAMILY TOO???

Man you guys are lucky you're not Italian...:grinyes:

I am still teaching my two classes (because I love teaching and there's no one else who can teach them) and am a fulltime tech at another school down the road where my children attended during their elementary years ...

I didn't have a raise in three years, was working more than 50 hours a week, and the crap going on with power trips and whatnot just pushed me over the edge. I'm much happier now (and making a lot more money) :)

Lucky for us, the family is very understanding .. the bottom line is the best education our local kids can get ... *whew* .. so no hit has been placed on me LOL

Be polite, thank them for the great time you've had working at the school, say that you're sad to leave but due to circumstances beyond your control you have to quit on such and such a date.

Quick, easy and no recriminations... Still good for a reference if you need it at a later date. ;)

Back