Like this is really going to help...

Tell that to the gun control freaks.
You can bet your bottom dollar that no criminals and gang bangers turned anything in on this.

Gato_Solo said:
Guns turned in for fun and profit. One glaring mistake, though...

A semi-automatic is not a mchine gun by any stretch of the imagination. ;)

It is according to the ATF

EC-9—The 9mm TEC-9 assault pistol was originally developed by Interdynamics AB of Sweden and produced in the U.S. by F.I.E. of Florida. The original version, the KG-9, was easily converted to full auto and was subsequently reclassified as a machine gun by ATF in 1982. Soon after, the weapon was redesigned to sell as a semi-auto and reclassified the KG-99. Subsequently, a Hong Kong company bought the rights to the weapon from Interdynamics AB and a new company, Intratec USA, was formed in the United States to manufacture the weapon, now dubbed the TEC-9. In November of 1987, Intratec USA reorganized to become Intratec. Twelve and a half inches long, the lightweight TEC-9 comes with a 36-round magazine. The TEC-9M, a smaller version of the weapon, is 10.5 inches long. Both have threaded barrels so that they can accept silencers and barrel extensions. High impact plastic is used for the gun's receiver, magazine well, and pistol grip.[139] Promotional material for the guns describe them as being "high-spirited" and "weapons that are as tough as your toughest customers."[140] The TEC-9 retails for approximately $250.

If you are going by the strict letter of the law, my Desert Eagle would be classified as an assault rifle. It is a gas operated fire arm that waighs more the 60 ounces.

A.B.Normal said:
It is according to the ATF

Only after it's converted. It says that, too. Once again, a salient point is totally missed due to reading only what seems to support your argument. Bottom line is...unless it's converted, it's not a machine gun. If it was converted, then it's not semi-automatic.

It's what you get for having the uninformed write and edit "news" stories. It's not exactly the same as "liberal bias" but it contributes to the general impression. :shrug:

Gato_Solo said:
Only after it's converted. It says that, too. Once again, a salient point is totally missed due to reading only what seems to support your argument. Bottom line is...unless it's converted, it's not a machine gun. If it was converted, then it's not semi-automatic.

Its because its so easily converted that the ATF classifies it as a" Machine Gun" and the Brady Bill specifically(by name) restricts it.I was at the Inlaws and the CNN report(same item) did mention it as a "sub-machine gun "though. maybe they left off the "sub" to save text.
:shrug:

While I can admire the reasons behind something like this, why would the criminals or the potential criminals anyway, turn in their guns? So that is two big mistakes not just one. And from what I learned and my little knowledge of guns is that an automatic can have a pin put into it to make it semi auto though I am sure that isnt the whole story there

A.B.Normal said:
the CNN report(same item) did mention it as a "sub-machine gun "though. maybe they left off the "sub" to save text.

Are we surprised they lie to gain political favor? It is CNN after all.

A submachine gun is an automatic pistol. A machine gun is an automatic long gun. Automatic means that it continually reloads & fires, as long as the trigger is depressed. A semi-automatic is one in which the trigger must be released & repressed to fire the weapon.

highwayman said:
If you are going by the strict letter of the law, my Desert Eagle would be classified as an assault rifle. It is a gas operated fire arm that waighs more the 60 ounces.

gas operated..with these prices...ok bad joke.

gas operated, how does that work, as compared to a gl;ock, or whatever.

paul_valaru said:
gas operated..with these prices...ok bad joke.

gas operated, how does that work, as compared to a gl;ock, or whatever.

As in semi-auto, it depends on who you are talking to. There is a group out here in my area that reefers to semi-auto's as gas operated because it uses the gas pressure from the spent cartredge to cycle the slide... Hope that helps....

A.B.Normal said:
Its because its so easily converted that the ATF classifies it as a" Machine Gun" and the Brady Bill specifically(by name) restricts it.I was at the Inlaws and the CNN report(same item) did mention it as a "sub-machine gun "though. maybe they left off the "sub" to save text.

Once again...if it's not converted, it does not meet the definition of machine-gun...sub, or otherwise. The ATF uses that definition to justify locking up anyone who has that weapon...regardless of conversion state. While that, in and of itself, can be classified as legal, what's to stop them from deciding your 3-shot pump shotgun is illegal because it, too, can be modified to fire fully automatic?

That aside, it is also a very poorly-made weapon, prone to jamming and misfires. Only an idiot buys a problematic weapon, so I think it should be given away...free...at the local stadiums...along with a healthy supply of ammunition...with the doors set to lock once closed. When the shooting stops, clean up the bodies, and start over. I shouldn't take long because most idiots are self-trained to respond positively to the word "free"...

Inkara1 said:
I'm guessing it uses pressure from a gas cylinder, kind of like a paintball gun.

:grinno:

Read, and heed, grasshopper... :D and the gas pressure does, indeed, come from the spent round. A small hole is in the barrel, which allows some of the gas from the firing of the previous round to move the bolt back, extracting the spent cartridge, and self-load a new, unspent cartridge...;)

found here and a quick blurb on fully automatic works. In this case, the M-16.

Back