London shaken by explosions

chcr

Too cute for words
ris said:
many thanks for the concern, but most fortuntely i live in bristol these days, and work in bath. this is about 100-odd miles west of fancy london town.

my sis lives in north london though, and works in town, but she has been in contact to let me know she is ok, which is a relief.

lots of other places have had scares and alerts though, cardiff and bristol trains have been right buggered up, which meant the missus was quite delayed getting home. not best pleased about it either.
Good to hear you (and your sister) are okay. If your wife is much like mine, somehow all the train delays are no doubt your fault? ;)

ris

yep, and so is not going to get her from the station because i'm playing football. she may have a point on the last one.

greenfreak

Glad to hear some of our own checked in and are ok. What a terrible day, I've been reading BBC all day and the toll keeps rising and rising. :(

MrBishop

Got a quick email back from Gotnolegs
Hi Marc

Yeah I'm fine. I missed it all by about five minutes,
for some reason I decided to get off the tube early
and walk the rest of the way. I'm glad I did now...
Still nothing on my end from CB or Stewey.

freako104

unclehobart said:
London is a very security camera covered city. Mayhaps all of the perps will be identified within the week.

Al Qaeda supposedly claimed responsibility for it.

Marc: thanks for the update on GnL. I hope the rest are ok. I hope Scanty, IPH, Stewy and the rest let us know they are ok

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Perps, week? :lol:

How about, before the smoke died down, men were being pulled from their beds.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It could have been worse.

July 7, 2005 — In what appears to be the first major break in the London terrorist attacks, U.S. authorities tell ABC News that police in London have recovered key parts of the timing devices that set off the bombs, suggesting they were planted in packages or bags and left behind.

There also are reports that police may have discovered two unexploded bombs as they sifted through the wreckage of the four bombs that did go off. At least several dozen people were killed in the attacks, and hundreds of others were injured while traveling on subways and a double-decker bus. Scotland Yard has denied finding undetonated explosive devices in the wreckage.

ABC

ris

Winky said:
So now that the Brits have had their '9-11' whats next?

i don't belivee this will have anything of the impact of september 11 in the uk. the perpetrators might be different, but the uk and london in particular has been dealing with regular terrorist attacks since the late 1970s. not far off the same number of people were killed at omagh (35, i think it was there).

even blowing up a bus isn't original, the ira done that before.

unclehobart

freako104 said:
Al Qaeda supposedly claimed responsibility for it.

Marc: thanks for the update on GnL. I hope the rest are ok. I hope Scanty, IPH, Stewy and the rest let us know they are ok
Anyone can claim responsibility ex post facto. The calls didn't come in until after the bombs went off. That makes me skeptical.

chcr

Too cute for words
unclehobart said:
Anyone can claim responsibility ex post facto. The calls didn't come in until after the bombs went off. That makes me skeptical.
What makes me skeptical (and note that it wasn't al-Qaeda, but rather some sort of affiliated group) is the unexploded bombs and such. Al-Qaeda are usually better than that. :shrug: OTOH a lot of London cops were in Scotland, so the timing was well planned.

MrBishop

The unexploded devices are a boon to investigators. Bombs are like fingerprints to a forensic team. Styles, triggers, material-origins, etc... opens up the trail for whoever did this and starts the hunt off early.

Wonder if they'll tie it in to Al Quieda or if it'll be another McVeigh.

chcr

Too cute for words
MrBishop said:
The unexploded devices are a boon to investigators. Bombs are like fingerprints to a forensic team. Styles, triggers, material-origins, etc... opens up the trail for whoever did this and starts the hunt off early.

Wonder if they'll tie it in to Al Quieda or if it'll be another McVeigh.

Yep, that's why the unexploded bombs surprise me. It's not the type of mistake al-Qaeda usually makes.

Re McVeigh; Please don't tell me you believe that he and Nichols acted alone. That was a pure "sweep it under the rug and move on" deal.

greenfreak

ris said:
i don't belivee this will have anything of the impact of september 11 in the uk. the perpetrators might be different, but the uk and london in particular has been dealing with regular terrorist attacks since the late 1970s. not far off the same number of people were killed at omagh (35, i think it was there).

even blowing up a bus isn't original, the ira done that before.
You know, I was wondering about that. Any typical US news source is woefully neglect in reporting the world's news instead of just US news. That's why I've started reading BBC online, they have better world coverage IMHO.

When was the last terrorist-type attack in London, post or pre 9/11?

MrBishop

chcr said:
Yep, that's why the unexploded bombs surprise me. It's not the type of mistake al-Qaeda usually makes.

Re McVeigh; Please don't tell me you believe that he and Nichols acted alone. That was a pure "sweep it under the rug and move on" deal.
Acted alone...nope. Home-grown terrorists. I seem to recall that the Middle-East was being blamed for Oklahoma for a while before they found McVeigh. Maybe it's more of an IRA splinter group. :shrug: Hopefully we'll know eventually.

ris

word on the bbc this morning was that, despite the claims on us news networks, no unexploded devices had been found. that was via the police service.

last terrorist attacks in london were probably the white city bomb (bbc, hit by a taxi-bomb), and possbily the bus-bomb before that. they were late 90's i think.

MrBishop

ris said:
word on the bbc this morning was that, despite the claims on us news networks, no unexploded devices had been found. that was via the police service.

last terrorist attacks in london were probably the white city bomb (bbc, hit by a taxi-bomb), and possbily the bus-bomb before that. they were late 90's i think.
Do you think that there are no unexploded devices or that the BBC is trying to hush it up to give the investigators a quick start and the terrorists no 'warning'. :shrug:

ris

i think that the underpinning of what was said was this:

'There were two other "controlled explosions" carried out by Met experts on Thursday but no other bombs were found '

bbc