Lost my faith in MSI

ok.. after recieving a MSI K7N2L that gave 2.1v to the DDR, i RMAed it and gave it another chance, return board was ok, normal 2.5-6V (in spec). Its been 6 weeks and guess what? fired up the board this morning and wtf? no post... smell burning, 768MB Kingston PC2700 no longer works.. and the board is dead.. psu is working fine, all voltages check out..thanks MSI :rolleyes: my Abit NF7-S v1.2 is working 24/7 without issue btw.

Filled out RMA forms for both.. no way am i keeping the return board, RAM will do good in my old Nforce 1 LEadtek board thats like a year old but quality.

I've had my MSI K7T Pro2A RMA'ed twice since 2001. :wink2:

* completly erases the previously crossed-out name from the list. :D

Oddly enough, my MSI K7T Turbo has been working reliably since October 2001. I should probably shut up so I don't jinx myself.

definetly :D, all my previous MSI boards have been rock solid, seems theres alot of issues with this particular one, maybe they got lame and did'nt research enough into Nforce 2 architecture properly, but thats no excuse imho, get it right then sell it..

Justintime said:
ok.. after recieving a MSI K7N2L that gave 2.1v to the DDR, i RMAed it and gave it another chance, return board was ok, normal 2.5-6V (in spec). Its been 6 weeks and guess what? fired up the board this morning and wtf? no post... smell burning, 768MB Kingston PC2700 no longer works.. and the board is dead.. psu is working fine, all voltages check out..thanks MSI :rolleyes: my Abit NF7-S v1.2 is working 24/7 without issue btw.
I have no idea what you just said :confuse3:

my KT7 Pro2, I think that's what it is, has been rock solid for ~18 months. That's what I've put in every new system since then too. I'll have to be a bit more cautious next time.

Re: Re: Lost my faith in MSI

Leslie said:
Justintime said:

His motherboard FUBAR'd. He replaced it, and that one FUBAR'd and took the RAM with it. His confidence in the motherboard maufacturer is severely eroded (and should be). :D

The third board they sent me was a K7T Turbo2. Been running fine (knock on wood) since July, but my past boards have been going out in June (lasting a year). All of them due to leaky capacitors.

Re: Re: Lost my faith in MSI

Leslie said:
Justintime said:

it was somehting like blah blah blah broke blah blah sent it back blah blah broke again blah blah the sixth form girls covent blah at 3 in the morning blah blah with my reputation..

:D

The leaky cap issue never got me thank god.. sending off the board tomorrow, inspected it and nothing was amiss really.. it just does not POST, and the RAM is tested in 3 boards now with no POST either.

I'm searching high and low for the cause.. meter reads zilch on all voltage hot spots..something major went and took the RAM with it.. luckily it was a server board and had an old 8MB Ati rage 128 in it, though that survived ok.

I like ABit... 3 of my 4 computers have ABit boards... SE6, KT7A and KD7E. I was considering an MSI, now I'm glad I didn't.

I thought about getting a MSI board but decided not to. My Gigabyte is very stable.

ris said:
it was somehting like blah blah blah broke blah blah sent it back blah blah broke again blah blah the sixth form girls covent blah at 3 in the morning blah blah with my reputation..

:laugh:

Back