maybe something will be done about elderly drivers

chcr said:
50 is not old (said the 47 year old). Seriously, Spot, age doesn't start taking your reflexes until you're past sixty, but it should be every 3 years, not five.

reflexes maybe not, but eyesight starts to deteriorate much sooner for plenty of folks.

:dizzy: Could you increase your font sizes people? I ain't no spring chicken, ya know...

Sign?...What sign?

The one one the bridge...

Bridge?...What bridge?...

Most drivers need to be kicked off the road. They get in my way with their pansy ass Wahhhh, I'm already doing 95 & my speedometer only goes to 85 crap. :D

It'll be fun to watch a bunch of new laws get passed just as the boomers enter the geriatric stage. :elaugh2:

outside looking in said:
I wouldn't bitch too bad about requiring someone to have a license to buy a car. The few cases where it might be a real pain could probably be handled by a special permit or similar. However, requiring a car to be insured when purchased just isn't going to work. Despite what you and many others may think, there are legitimate things to do with cars other than drive them.

Tell you what. You list a few of those legitimate reasons, and I'll give you counterpoints. ;)

They're thinking now that he was escaping from a hit and run when he went into the market. This is just horrible.

Gonz said:
Most drivers need to be kicked off the road. They get in my way with their pansy ass Wahhhh, I'm already doing 95 & my speedometer only goes to 85 crap.
:worship::thumbup:

Police are investigating whether Weller may have first hit a Mercedes, then sped toward the market while leaving the scene of that collision.
Police also said they found evidence that Weller hit his garage with his car at least twice. Weller's attorney, Jim Bianco, has released a statement saying the tragedy was an accident. Weller mowed down more than 50 pedestrians.
"He should have stopped when he knew he was not supposed to drive. If anything happens to him, it doesn't matter to us anyway," said Nazi Noor, Brendon's great aunt.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/ap20030721_220.html

Christ. :disgust:

Inkara1 said:
In California, it's $12 for a four-year license renewal, or if your driving record is good enough they'll let you re-up for five years for $15.

Damn, that was cheap. I paid $26 last month for another five years.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the hits keep on comin'. A couple months ago, my mother-in-law got backed into by a woman in her late 70's who mistook the gas for the brake. Sigh. Nobody hurt, got the car fixed, life goes on.

3 days ago, she got nailed again, exact same spot, by a 92 YO woman who.....drumroll....mistook the gas for the brake!

We have an aging population, folks. Time to set a mandatory upper age limit for drivers?

You know what might work? Responsable families. Yeah, think about it. An elderly woman needs to go to the shops .... and someone in her family drivers her the. And then, (you might want to sit down for this) they drive her home again. Hell, they might even (could they possibly) go into the shop with her!!!

Nah, it'll never work.

Hey, that's the way we do it, but most of my fellow citizens can't be bothered. Thus the law idea.

Another problem you run into is that some cities (including the one in which i live) have little or no public transportation. We have no subways, trams, or trolleys. We have only two cab companies and one of those two only goes from and to the airport. We have a total of 17 city buses but only 8 run regularly. In most areas it is nearly a 2 mile walk to get food and 12 to get medical. With a population of nearly half a million 25%-30% of which is over the age of 50, elderly drivers are a dangerous necessity.

Professur said:
You know what might work? Responsable families. Yeah, think about it. An elderly woman needs to go to the shops .... and someone in her family drivers her the. And then, (you might want to sit down for this) they drive her home again. Hell, they might even (could they possibly) go into the shop with her!!!

Nah, it'll never work.

*Looks at my wife in wonder...what a freak of nature she is...she does all these things*

ekahs retsam said:
Another problem you run into is that some cities (including the one in which i live) have little or no public transportation. We have no subways, trams, or trolleys. We have only two cab companies and one of those two only goes from and to the airport. We have a total of 17 city buses but only 8 run regularly. In most areas it is nearly a 2 mile walk to get food and 12 to get medical. With a population of nearly half a million 25%-30% of which is over the age of 50, elderly drivers are a dangerous necessity.

I live in a rural area outside the city limits -- population 18,000.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do when the time comes that I can't drive.

There is no such thing a public transportation around here.

Somebody should make me quit driving now. Of course, I can't quit work, so someone would have to drive me the hour there and the hour back. I could nap then. Oh wait. I nap now.
Damn, that was cheap. I paid $26 last month for another five years.

I just re-upped for another six years for 20. Finally gave up the Class E Chauffers, I don't think I'll be needing it anyway, and it would have cost 35 for the next six for that.

Mine's just a standard Class C license... passenger cars, trucks up to F-350 size, that sort of thing. No motorcycles, no 15-passenger vans, no garbage trucks.

Back