Meet my new friend.

greenfreak

fuzzy_the_spider.jpg

This is Fuzzy. He's a jumping spider. He's very curious and follows me with his eyes when I try to take pictures of him.

Generally, I barely tolerate spiders. But this little guy is cooped up in my orchidarium and he's eating the ants that have taken up residence which can be harmful to my plants.

So he's my friend. But he won't let me pet him. He's only 1 milimeter big right now. I might hurt him. :eek:

greenfreak said:
So he's my friend. But he won't let me pet him. He's only 1 milimeter big right now. I might hurt him. :eek:

:eek2: You must have some really good lenses !!!!!!

SCARY!!!!

well, i guess i can't really say that... we have a spider that's taken up residence on the screen in our bathroom window, she's lived there for probably a couple of months probably. she even made an eggy nesty thing, it hatched last week, and there were little spiderbabies, but we think they all died in the cold, cos they were there and now they're all gone and we dont think they got out the usual way. i actually felt really bad for her, i felt like crying, she's our little spider-friend.

Luis, to be fair, that picture is of a slightly bigger Fuzzy who was 2mm big; I have more than one. But yeah, I have a kick-ass 300mm/macro lens. :D

Ash, didn't you ever read/see Charlotte's Web? Don't be sad! The babies make their own life immediately after "hatching". They're probably off on their own webs somewhere close. :)

Did you put him in there, or did he just show up? Haw about a photo of the orchidarium with him in residence?

He just showed up. He's teeny tiny, you wouldn't be able to see him in a wide angle shot of the orchidarium. But here's what it looks like, I took this right after we put it together.

Empty:

orchidarium_empty.jpg

And full:

orchidarium_full.jpg

What are you gonna do when he runs outta ants?

side note, my biggest macro is a 70-210 zoom. My 300 telescope won't focus closer than 10 feet. And it is a chrome plated bitch to get Practica bayonet lenses since the berlin wall came down.

I'm still happy with mine. I got it at Dixon's in Glasgow when I was there. The Practica BX-40, with a 35-70 zoom, a 70-210 zoom, a 2x, a bayonet-screw mount adapter and a TTL flash. Cost about 400 quid, as I recall. Company had been in business for decades, with a great reputation. 6 months later, the wall was down, and the east germans had put them outta business with their cheap knockoffs. Now I'm reduced to either generic screw-type lenses, or hounding e-bay and on-line second hand shops.

GF, my work just bought me the exact same lens for my sports photography. After playing around with it, ym rule of thumb will be to use the Tamron for outside sports and the stock Nikon 24-85 for sports inside a gym. It would also be nice if the Tamron had a manual focus function, but toherwise it's allowed me to get some much better shots for the paper.

all this camera talk makes me really want a new digital. i was in UP-MI last weekend and one of the people i was with had a cannon 20d digital with a 400mm telephoto. he took some awesome pics with it.

My coworker was thinking about buying the Canon EOS 20D today as a matter of fact. He's getting married on Friday so was thinking about getting it for the honeymoon pictures. That camera is way overkill for what most people use it for. It's a 8 megapixel, we have a 6 megapixel, and we use it weekly (sometimes daily) and sell our photos. Just like computers, the most expensive one is going to be a waste of money if you're only using it for email.

Of course, it's not all about the camera, there's a lot to learn about photography. I'm still getting used to all the manual settings and figuring out which ones work with which situations. F stops, shutter speeds, depth of field, lighting. And then you have the astetics of the picture itself. Shadows, perspective, color, b&w, sharpness, focus.

The one thing I get all the time when people comment on my photos is "Wow, that's a nice picture. What camera do you use?" As if it's just all about the camera and anyone can take a good picture if they buy a $2000. camera.

It's a little annoying.

greenfreak said:

omg! the picture alone is freaking me out!! *runs away*

Back