memory brands

tommyj27

Not really Banned
what brand of memory does everyone recommend? i'm looking to get a 512mb stick of PC2700 for my laptop, but as usual there's a lot of brands to choose from. i've always gone with crucial as my tried and true middle-of-the-road choice, but it seems rather expensive. anyone have any comments, good or bad, about kingmax, kingston, geil, corsair, or others?

catocom

Well I can tell you from a very bad experience,
not to get PNY. :thumbdn:
Crucial, Corsair, Kingston, Ocz, Infineon, Micron, and Samsung
I've all had pretty good luck with, all though, I have run across
a few bad modules in the Kingston-1066-16bit, and Samsung-ddr400 area.
They gave no hassle replacements though.

Inkara1

All I've used the past few years was Crucial. Well, I used a PNY stick a couple years ago for my second genome system, but it didn't give me any trouble. But I haven't bought any RAM since early 2002.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Whatever is on sale at BB or Staples when I need it. It's awfully hard to justify a potential 50%-250% increase in price when one has only had one bad stick....ever.

sam_fisher

i would have to recommend these as i deal with ram every day.

For OCing: (and in order of preference)
Corsair XMS
KIngston HyperX
Mushkin
OCZ gold

Standard Use: in a server, workstation, or laptop (also in order of preference)
Kingston Value Ram
Corsair
Crucial
Samsung

sam.

Mirlyn

I've put crucial and the cheap sticks in servers. I've replaced a crucial stick once (under RMA), and thrown away countless cheap sticks. Now its crucial or nothing. :)

I treat any machine with any role or uptime with the same concern as servers when it comes to hardware like memory or power supplies.

sam_fisher

Mirlyn said:
I treat any machine with any role or uptime with the same concern as servers when it comes to hardware like memory or power supplies.
man after my own heart. ditto.

sam.

Mirlyn

sam_fisher said:
man after my own heart. ditto.

sam.
Kicked myself in the ass one too many times for saving a few bucks here and there and then end up paying for it. ;) Even moreso for friends and clients. Just a personal experience and observation. I've met lots of people who've had good luck with the cheapies, but I can't say they've swayed my opinion at all. To me, most things like those are "pay now or pay later" deals.

Nihilistic

Capitalizing Bastich
I use Geil, no problems yet, so id have to say its not a bad brand. Corsair and kingston is nice too.