Mo-Ray-Al, K-Bec

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Hey you two (three, 5 however many), I have a question. I'll preface it with, I used to go to Plattsburgh a few times a year (haven't in some time), make the delivery & then ferry across to VT. Since that is as far north as I've gone, is the remaing 60 miles, plus your surrounding area, moutainous? It seems to start leveling just south of PLattsburgh. Nice ride between Albany (way out of Albany & there anyhow.)

Too bad. It is almost worth the drive to go camping down south of you.

:confused:

We camped at the Ausable Chasm KOA. pretty nice, if a bit worn. But if I was looking for serious camping, I'd be looking at NH. The drive from Platsburg, through VT and NH to Maine is just freaking insane. There's one village, with this monsterous rock towering over it. Fills nearly 100 degrees on view from the main road. Drives me to distraction when we stop there for lunch on the way through.

For you it is definately worth the drive. For me it's over 500 miles. I prefer backwoods, or at least rustic, unimproved sites camping in mountains. Around here we can go to the lakes & camp & look at flatland & ash trees all day :yawn:

500 miles? That's an easy day's drive for you, isn't it?;)

If you want unimproved ... Ask Bish for his camping photos from Algonquin park. I'd love to rough it, but I started cranking out the V's before I got the camping bug, and you just can't expect a 5 year old girl to deal with crapping in the woods. So I bought a camper, and that's our camping.

Is that a soft spot old man? Kids been crappin' in the woods as long as bears.

500 miles is a few hours but for 1000 west I get the Rockies. (If I wanna drive)

couple hours up north here we used to go mudding by a pristine uninhabited lake...gorgeous...gotta offroad a couple hours to get in there but it's worth it :shrug:

Professur said:
500 miles? That's an easy day's drive for you, isn't it?;)

If you want unimproved ... Ask Bish for his camping photos from Algonquin park. I'd love to rough it, but I started cranking out the V's before I got the camping bug, and you just can't expect a 5 year old girl to deal with crapping in the woods. So I bought a camper, and that's our camping.

Algonquin Park's the place to be for rustic, although the mountains ain't all that high...there are plenty of rivers and lakes to keep you canoe-camping for a while. Stayed just under 2 weeks last time canoe-portage, canoe, climb over beaver-dams, canoe, slog through swamps, canoe, sleep.

Let me tell ya...you fuckin' sleep like a babe-in-arms after a days worth of portage. :) Nice place...most of the work that had been done to make it into a 'campers' place have gone to pot. You can still find a few wooden toilet-seats sitting over a gaping hole in the ground, but I wouldn't sit on one for too long...they didn't look all that secure. I think that we saw about 4 people during those 2 weeks...mostly as we started and as we were getting back to the lot where we'd left the car.

It's very nice. For decent camping, I'd look close to Malone...in Chateaugay NY...lots of decent untouched land to explore and some damn good fishing too.

Eh Prof, in 2005, we're planning on returning to Algonquin w/ JAG in tow. Perhaps a week in the woods, but the same deal as our last trip. If MrsBish ain't expecting...might you be interested?

The X and I camped at Mont Tremblant Provincial Park a few times. Absolutely beautiful. Farther east, the Saguenay-Lac St Jean region is breathtaking as well. Bish and I went on a whale-watching trip in Tadoussac in this region years ago. It was cold on the water (September), but totally worth it.

Another place I love dearly is the Adirondack region, Lake George, in particular. Not the commercial area, but the tiny villages and campgrounds outside of it. My favourite being Bolton Landing, where I spent my honeymoon in a cabin right on the lake. Every morning, a family of ducks would walk right under the window to get to the water.

And prof is right. New Hampshire is lovely, and the top of Mount Washington is a totally different world, treeless and covered in colourful lichens.

*sigh* I gotta get back into the camping thing. Kids are old enough, I think.

Gonz said:
Very pretty. Mammoth was/is one of my favorite places on earth.

I would LOVE to see that place in person. Never been farther west than Ontario. Been south as far as North Carolina. This country is just too damn big for day trips :)

Leave about 9am. Drive south to I90, keep going west until you reach Cleveland. Sleep.

Wake & drive west some more. I90 merges with I80...stay om 80 the rest of teh way. Stop in Omaha Nebraska. Sleep.

Drive west. Stop in Wyoming. Sleep.

Drive west until you get to the Sierra's. Enjoy. You'll need 8 days driving & 40-50 to enjoy properly.

Gonz said:
Leave about 9am. Drive south to I90, keep going west until you reach Cleveland. Sleep.

Wake & drive west some more. I90 merges with I80...stay om 80 the rest of teh way. Stop in Omaha Nebraska. Sleep.

Drive west. Stop in Wyoming. Sleep.

Drive west until you get to the Sierra's. Enjoy. You'll need 8 days driving & 40-50 to enjoy properly.

I WILL do it someday, you know. I may be retired, but I WILL do it! :) I have this dream of spending my retirement exploring North America. Visiting places I've only heard about, and discovering those secret gems...

30 more years or so and a good retirement savings plan and I am there baybee :D

And then you'd be only about half a day's drive away from me... well, much, much longer if the roads through Yosemite are closed for the winter when you come.

Camelyn said:
I WILL do it someday, you know. I may be retired, but I WILL do it! :) I have this dream of spending my retirement exploring North America. Visiting places I've only heard about, and discovering those secret gems...

30 more years or so and a good retirement savings plan and I am there baybee :D

My old boss did that. Retired, bought an RV, and took off. Traveled for about a year, and then got bored with it. Settled in North Carolina and now refuses to sit for more than 2 hours at a stretch.

When we started camping, it was before V2 started school, and since I absolutely hate crowds, we went in late sept. All that you found at the campsites were retirees, driving huge RVs. Converted coaches, with full electronic suites. Self leveling hydraulics, rear cameras for backing up, pulling pretty much whatever they pleased, from SUVs to Bonnevilles and Towncars. Most of them were no fixed addresses. Sold the house, bought the RV and headed for wherever the mercury was right.

Cam, your youngest might still be a tad young for roughing it. But tenting in the back yard will tell.

Back