MS giving out software...

Mirlyn

...to those in college? Yep. Our business school just subscribed to MSDNAA. Not sure what I think about it. On one hand, yeah, free (and legal) software, but on the other hand, this is a sneaky way for Microsoft to get themselves entrenched in the minds and experience and know-how of tomorrow's IT field. Interesting business strategy.

Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise
Mell - General Programming Collection
Mell - Visual Studio .NET Collection
Microsoft Exchange Server 2000 Enterprise Edition
Microsoft MSDE for Visual Studio 6.0
Microsoft MSDN Library 6.0a (Full)
Microsoft MSDN Subscriptions Library (Disc 1)
Microsoft MSDN Subscriptions Library (Disc 2)
Microsoft MSDN Subscriptions Library (Disc 3)
Microsoft MSDN Subscriptions Library (Full)
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SDK
Microsoft Project Professional 2002 (Single-User)
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition
Microsoft Visio Professional 2002 (Single User)
Microsoft Visual J# .NET
Microsoft Visual Studio 6 Pro - Disc 1
Microsoft Visual Studio 6 Pro - Disc 2
Microsoft Visual Studio 6 SP 5
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server (with SP4)
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (with SP4)
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server (with SP4)
Microsoft Windows CE .NET 4.2 Disc 1
Microsoft Windows CE .NET 4.2 Disc 2
Microsoft Windows CE .NET 4.2 Disc 3
Microsoft Windows CE .NET 4.2 Disc 4
Microsoft Windows CE .NET 4.2 Disc 5
Microsoft Windows CE .NET 4.2 Disc 6
Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX 3.0
Visual SourceSafe 6.0d
Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional - Full Install
Visual Studio .NET Academic Student Tools 2003
Visual Studio .NET Academic Teaching Tools 2003
Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 - CD1
Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 - CD2
Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 Prerequisites Disc
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
Windows Server 2003 Web Edition
Windows XP Embedded
Windows XP Professional with SP1a (Single User) ISO Image

Free?

When my neph..., err, I went to IU, they were on the same/similar program. It was $5. per disc for anything MS. Kinda nice.

Mirlyn said:
...this is a sneaky way for Microsoft to get themselves entrenched in the minds and experience and know-how of tomorrow's IT field. Interesting business strategy.

Apple did the same thing back in the late 80's/early 90's with public schools. How many of us played Oregon Trail to no end on Apple II's? Or learned how to use a computer on a Macintosh. I went to 4 different schools in 2 states and they all had Apples and Macs. My cousins in Illinios had the same thing.

rrfield

Same thing in Iowa too. How pissed was I when I got out of high school and learned that 99% of the businesses out there used IBM's? Very. We learned all this stuff for it to be "Kinda" useful in the real world. I think it's a great idea, give it away, hook em young. It may sound like unsound practices to some, but I think it's a hell of a lot better than it could be. Even if they didn't give it away, you'd still have to buy it to learn how to use it to get a job in the real world.

Gonz said:
Free?

When my neph..., err, I went to IU, they were on the same/similar program. It was $5. per disc for anything MS. Kinda nice.
so they're charging what it's worth?

yea, pretty much. Which is why I don't hate them too much. Let me pay full MSRP one time & watch out though :D

PuterTutor said:
Same thing in Iowa too. How pissed was I when I got out of high school and learned that 99% of the businesses out there used IBM's? Very. We learned all this stuff for it to be "Kinda" useful in the real world. I think it's a great idea, give it away, hook em young. It may sound like unsound practices to some, but I think it's a hell of a lot better than it could be. Even if they didn't give it away, you'd still have to buy it to learn how to use it to get a job in the real world.

Drug dealers do this too.

i got a full corp license version of officexp and windowsxp when i was working for cardiff uni, cost me about 25quid each. certainly one of the better perks to that job.

Back