my absence

catocom

Glad to see it's getting worked out. :nerd:
What is it upgraded from, and what's the HD?? 5400rpm maybe?

If it was upgrade from a reg. SDram to DDR, I'm sure there will be a nice diff.

HomeLAN

Not entirely sure. My impression is that the old one was a Cirrus chip, in the 300-400 range, PC100. The HD is a 40 gigger, could be 5400, could be 7200.

It was an old e-machines job, so it's kinda pot-luck.

catocom

Oh yes, that wiiill be a very nice jump. :glasses:

I've got an old cirrus M300 chip around here somewhere that was in a old comp. They were OK in their day, but not quite like the k62s, or PIIs though.

MrBishop

HomeLAN said:
Not entirely sure. My impression is that the old one was a Cirrus chip, in the 300-400 range, PC100. The HD is a 40 gigger, could be 5400, could be 7200.

It was an old e-machines job, so it's kinda pot-luck.

I used to sell the e-machines...in that size, the HD would've been a 7200 only. They hadn't bothered buying the 5400's

Very nice upgrade. :D

A.B.Normal

catocom said:
Oh yes, that wiiill be a very nice jump. :glasses:

I've got an old cirrus M300 chip around here somewhere that was in a old comp. They were OK in their day, but not quite like the k62s, or PIIs though.

M300 is rquivalent to a P233 or was it PII233 either way its way slow,a buddy of mine has a Packard Bell with an Cyrix M300.I knew he was in trouble when I asked him what kind of computer he got and his reply was "it kind of grey,but the saleman at the Brick (where he bought it) has one and he really likes it". {the Brick is a Value Furniture store}. :rofl4:

catocom

Yeah, before I tore it down to use the parts elsewhere, the benchmarks
from the M300 weren't even close to a PII300.
(and the m300 was on a 100mhz but as apposed to a 66mhz on the PII300)
It also has nowhere near the cache.
64k on the M300 vs 512k on the PII.

chcr

Too cute for words
tonksy said:
well steve has come and gone...took my puter with him. it has issues apparently. :mope:

Just think how good it will be when he brings it back. I've noticed on any number of occasions that he's pretty sharp. :lloyd:

Inkara1

I'll mention that I've got a motherboard sitting around in an anti-static bag with a 1200MHz T-bird and 512MB of PC-100 RAM (I had to cut costs somewhere during that upgrade) just begging to be used. But, to be fair, I'll also mention that the fan on top of the processor sounds like a vacuum and is as loud. It's a Global Win WBK-38 HSF unit, I believe, with the fan at 7000 RPM.

HomeLAN

Inky, I've got the same setup for her, and we'll use her old 512 MB PC133 RAM. Just got to get it going. And the fan is quiet. :p

Thanks, chcr. This has been one of those projects that make you wonder exactly which bad sign you were born under.

HomeLAN

BTW, tonks, I'm sorry for cussing in front of the kids. Big no-no.

Sometimes I wonder why my v2.0 isn't already cursing like a long haul trucker.

catocom

If the old mobo is trashed, don't just throw it away.
I'll give salvage price for it, $10 of someting. ;)
I might be able to use some caps off of it, or maybe replace some,
and refurb it. If not I'll just put it with the growing pile of dead AMD
mobos i've been adding up lately. :p

catocom

I've had very bad luck with AMD mobos, aand chips as of late :crying4:
I think I've got 4 dead "sets" now.
Is why I've switch over to intel mostly. At least for the time being.
All the stuff was heavily abused though, so it's really not all AMDs fault,
and it is all older stuff TBirds, and Durons. I haven't had any problems
with the xp line ....yet (knock on wood)
I think the problem with mine was I know one was a bad chip, and messed a mobo up. Then the mobo messed another chip up. Then I had a mem stick
go out (I think) and messed up another "set".
Just bad luck I guess, mostly.
I'll probably come back to AMD shortly though when the XPs get really dirt cheap. :D

tonksy

HomeLAN said:
BTW, tonks, I'm sorry for cussing in front of the kids. Big no-no.

Sometimes I wonder why my v2.0 isn't already cursing like a long haul trucker.
you cussed? i'm sure it was warranted.

tonksy

HomeLAN said:
Oh, yes. Do you not remember "What the FUCK?!" the fourth time it BSOD'd? Bothered me all night.
well...weren't they in their highchairs in the kitchen then? if so, the only thing they heard was their own tears of despair over last night's supper.