My dads garden

unclehobart

My dad spent roughly 3 months and some hefty dollars on creating this large traditional English rose wheel. There are like 16 types of roses in it. Cardinal Richelieu, Chicago Peace, Barbara Streissand, Queen Elizabeth, Tropicanas .... etc.

It blooms at various stages throughout the year and is about to have about 250 blooms pop. Sadly there aren't many in this photo because he just trimmed out like 3 dozen for a birthday party.

...but its still neato.

There is also a massive fence climbing rose on the other side of the property. I didn't get a pic of it because it isn't in bloom.

Wow....very pretty! What kind of upkeep does something like that collection require? Lots of water? Shade?

My dad needed to take down 16 trees to accomodate it all. It needs direct bright sun for about 4 hours, and about 4 more hours of heavily filtered light. Each one of the beds was dug 4 feet deep with a tractor and filled with the best of soils. I spent a week planting them all with him last spring. We also laid out a trickle hose direct to each root ball.

He has a standard approach that pretty much has him spraying three different chemicals every two weeks. ...your standard bug repellant and fungicidal defense.

That was part of the mega plan. The entire soil table was raised about 8 inches and sloped properly. The back yard had an insane facelift.

Back