My New Home Network.

sbcanada

I'm switching from Cable to ADSL. Why? Because my cable modem disconnects 20 times a day and apparently they can't fix it. They haven't a clue why it does it. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, since we're switching, I am going to set up our network in our house a little differently. The closest phone jack from the phone panel is in my bedroom in the basment. Since I maintain the network, makes sense to have easy access to it so I'm putting all the network hardware in my room. :bgtup:

Below is a diagram of what I am thinking of doing with it. Keep in mind that that is exactly all of the network equipment/cables I have. Tell me what you think of the setup and if I can make it better in any way. :cocktail:

alex

hmmm, Another "my cable access keeps disconnecting" claim. That is exactly why I switched from cable to DSL. My cable access was fine for 7-8 months then suddenly started acting up and they never could fix the problem. DSL hasn't hicupped yet *knocks on wood*

Nothing wrong with that network diagram. It's basically identical to mine except I have an 8 port hub and my puters are in one room :cool:

Arris

Arris said:
So you can transfer files from one home PC to another real fast. I have doubts that anyone really requires that sort of home network, unless you have an office at home where multiple people are passing big media files about or something.

Oops didn't mean to quote myself :nuts:

1400mb divx, 10 a time, burn cds over the network without caching, 100mbit can burn, but sometimes fail, 1gbit never ;)

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I'm pretty happy with my 100mbs, but if I had the chance, I'd go to a Gbit too.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
yeah, unfortunately it's so damned expensive :(

but then again, compared to the 10MBit network i had this 100MBit is damned fast :D

cheap way is get about 6 1000mbit cards, put one each in the clients and the rest in a central server (any ol board will do) and use some xover CAT5 E or CAT 6 cables, bam switch with expansion for 2 or 3 more depending on how much inital clients you have . I did it with 5 in 1 and the 3 others in clients, cheap switch, since the cheapest i'd want is over 800 quid :retard: entire project cost me 200 (got a sweet wholesale deal on some 1gbit cards) but i had spare parts enough to build 2 more rigs, so making one for this was no problem.

sbcanada

alex said:
My cable access was fine for 7-8 months then suddenly started acting up and they never could fix the problem.

My cable access was fine for about a year, and then it started to go to hell in a hand basket. First it would just "freeze." The modem was connected but not doing anything and we had no access. Had to reboot the modem every time. They came over and fiddled about in the cable box outside and left. Now the modem just disconnects about 20 times a day, most often when we are actually using it. They've been here 3 times. Replaced the modem, ran tests. Found nothing wrong so they left and hoped for the best. Still not fixed so I call the tech support and start all over again from the junior-tech up to the next and so on. :(

The damned thing still disconnects and I'm not waiting for them to fix it especially since ADSL is now a better package for the price.

This is for you, "CableRocket": :anifingr:

:bgtup:

alex

There's a whole thread at Xibase that basically describes the exact same occurances for me......hope you got down time credit.