My new Home Office setup

Aunty Em

Now that's what I can comfy... so what's yours like?

Oh yeah, Casper has taken a liking to the beanbag cube, but he keeps sliding off it cos he curls up too close to the edge and the beans settle so he gets dumped... which is really funny when it flips over and lands on top of him as it's so light... :lol:

Mine's not a Home Office, so much as a home orifice...there's shit everywhere. :eek5:

Nice setup BTW

What I'd really like is a Stressless recliner with a PC table attachment so I can put my wireless keyboard in front of me when I do a lot of typing... I've got a little TV table that I use atm. I wouldn't mind one for my lounge too. There's about 4 different styles I like, but I'm just gonna have to wait till I can afford them. :)

If you're wondering what a Stressless is, it's a scandinavian make... my Norwegian friend Knut is a screenplay writer who works from home and he uses one when he's writing on his laptop.

Inkara1 said:
Alex, what's behind that blocked-off door? Is that the closet your skeletons are in?

My computer room is actually my dining room. That door goes between the kitchen and dining room. The skeletons are in the master walk-in closet :D

nice setup, but too small for me. i need lots of room for all the computer books i have.

*makes mental note to never believe alex when he says "could you get a chair out of the closet"*

Mine's 14 feet of table, with 4 machines below it, and 3 monitors, router, UPS's, etc. on top. Takes up one entire wall of my big basement room.

I need to pick up some of the crap and Post some pics. Three and a half walls of equipment. To be fair a lot of it is music stuff but...

samcurry said:
nice setup, but too small for me. i need lots of room for all the computer books i have.

*makes mental note to never believe alex when he says "could you get a chair out of the closet"*

Erm, that's just the computers i use, all the books on the shelves are computer books, plus I have another bookcase full and more shelving and draws with computer stuff in em, plus a big cupboard, plus the desk you can just see the edge of... that's for building computers on... God knows how many cd-roms as well and my laptop is in the lounge and I've got 2 pcs stored on the floor in my bedroom atm plus 1 pc and 2 cases under the desk. Oh yeah, and 2 monitors... It's quite a big room without a bed in it. :)

I just decided to get rid of some gear and cut back to 2 desktops and the laptop... well till I get round to building my 64 bit that is....

Oh, a word of advice: If you happen to have a Klipsch 5.1 surround setup, know that it consumes 500 watts of power. Knowing that, it's best to not plug it into the smaller of two UPSes, of which the larger is a 350VA model, since that can make the battery fail, or the circuitry within the UPS... not sure which, but it makes the UPS make an extremely annoying, never-ending beep noise as long as it's turned on, regardless of if anything's plugged into it or not.

So plugging it into the 1400 watt UPs souldn't cause any trouble ...... should I ever care about what a Klipsch 5.1 is.

I bought that speaker setup ($350) because I knew I wouldn't be happy with the Logitech or Bose like I would be with the Klipsch.

HPIM0882.jpg

Pretty much how it currently looks. At the date of this picture, the PC was driving all three monitors. I have added a Dell P4-1600 behind the LCD, driving the LCD.
I added a VCR, a DVD changer, a TV tuner, and a VGA scan converter. The VCR and the TV tuner are going to the 19" CRT. The DVD can go either to the 19" via S-Video or to the 22" via component video and the VGA scan converter. There's also a Microsoft Cordless Laser Desktop 6000 hooked up to the Dell. It's an annoying semi-bent keyboard, but considering that the mouse retails for like $60 and I got the whole thing from work for $50, not counting the $25 rebate I sent out. It's nice because I leave the keyboard on the top of the Dell minitower and I can just move all the shit around without messing with wires. BTW, the Logitech MX1000 beats the MS Laser 6000 senseless. No competition, the MX1000 is hands down a better mouse. Just like my IBM Model M is a better keyboard.
There's also a Pelican HD video switch. It's cheap and distorts the video, but the audio sounds fine to me. It's routing all the audio through the reciever, because the Opto only has one aux input.
And of course, note the imported 'Lovely day for a GUINNESS' mousepad. :toast:

To clarify, that is over 500 square inches of screen, 2.5GB of RAM, 400GB of disk space, and 5.6GHz of processing power squeezed into a five foot table.

Naturally, it wouldn't be complete without the old pics.

November '05
HPIM0643.jpg

September '05
HPIM0577.jpg

HPIM0572.jpg

July '05
HPIM0460.jpg

I had pics dating back to Spring '03, but they're MIA. I used a weird image host then, and 9/05 is the oldest one on photobucket.

Back