Netherlands question

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Is Netherlands a country, or is it something like the UK?
if it is like the UK, of which countries it is composed? (Holland? )

sorry for my ignorance on the subject, i had a long talk with ris about the UK, now i know how things are there. But the Netherlands is kinda unknown to me.

The Netherlands are a completely independant country.
We have provincies, but I don't think it can be compared to the UK....? :p[/siz]

What is that thing about the UK then? :confuse3:
In that case I\m the one not familiar with the subject!

Nixy said:
Aren't Holland and the Netherlands one in the same?

Yep. Holland, Netherlands, Les Pays Bas, the Low Country... Basically, it all just means that they're living a few feet below sea level, and if it weren't for the dikes their little wooden shoes would be full of salt water. :p ;)

Shadowfax said:
What is that thing about the UK then? :confuse3:
In that case I\m the one not familiar with the subject!

If i understood and remember right, the UK is the big island and Ireland (not the Republic of Ireland).

Great Britain is only the big island. UK and Britain share the red/blue flag (which has a name, but i don't remember it).

Great Britain is made of: England, Wales and Scotland (and probly other that i'm forgetting ;) )

Luis G said:
If i understood and remember right, the UK is the big island and Ireland (not the Republic of Ireland).

Great Britain is only the big island. UK and Britain share the red/blue flag (which has a name, but i don't remember it).

Great Britain is made of: England, Wales and Scotland (and probly other that i'm forgetting ;) )
The country's name is United Kingdom of Great Britain and North Ireland, so I guess you're right the GB is Scotland, England and Wales. The flag name is Union Jack.

:rofl2:

I come from bloody England and even I don't know what you guys are talking about! :D

That was an exaggeration, btw.

Ardsgaine said:
Yep. Holland, Netherlands, Les Pays Bas, the Low Country... Basically, it all just means that they're living a few feet below sea level, and if it weren't for the dikes their little wooden shoes would be full of salt water. :p ;)

A few feet? :eek:

A LOT of feet :D
We're just about as low as it gets! :headbang:

I hate the name Holland though...it was called that way because we used to be one of best ship-builders in the world, like 4 centuries ago. Ships are made from wood, called hout in Dutch. And some lame person came up with the name Holland. Yuch.

The name "The Netherlands" is much better, because it shows that The Netherlands are made up from multiple provincies. Oh, and it just sounds cool :headbang:

Shadowfax said:
Ardsgaine said:

A few feet? :eek:

A LOT of feet :D
We're just about as low as it gets! :headbang:

I hate the name Holland though...it was called that way because we used to be one of best ship-builders in the world, like 4 centuries ago. Ships are made from wood, called hout in Dutch. And some lame person came up with the name Holland. Yuch.

The name "The Netherlands" is much better, because it shows that The Netherlands are made up from multiple provincies. Oh, and it just sounds cool :headbang:

So just how do you properly pronounce the name? During the Olympics in Nagano, the commentators kept pronouncing it "Naderlands".

Well, The Netherlands is kinda the English verion of Nederland (which we call it in here).
You pronounce it as how you spell it...Nederland is pronounced as Naderland, and the a in land is a short one...

I'll attach a wav-file if I can find the mic, makes things a lot easier to explain :D

[talking to self]I will NOT click on the fle if he attaches it. I will NOT.[/talking to self]

Back