Netherlands question

Shadowfax said:
Well, The Netherlands is kinda the English verion of Nederland (which we call it in here).
You pronounce it as how you spell it...Nederland is pronounced as Naderland, and the a in land is a short one...

I'll attach a wav-file if I can find the mic, makes things a lot easier to explain :D

So you're saying that those commentators were saying it correctly? Huh. Well, I'll be.

actually, i think Holland name is nice, we call your country "Holanda", and it sound very nice.

Any residual Spanish influences in language or architechture from the occupation days? Anything much spanish at all left in the culture today?

unclehobart said:
Any residual Spanish influences in language or architechture from the occupation days? Anything much spanish at all left in the culture today?

There ain't anything left, at least not in the language! Neither in the architecture as far as I know...

We kicked their ass hard enough! :headbang:

Uh, did we? Don't know much about our history :D

The Spanish Netherlands was from something like 1600-1700 methinks. I dare say 100 years of Spanish rule should have left some kind of influences... somehow.

It may have, but (fortunately) it isn't noticible in daily life...we still have our own very open culture, with all kinds of other cultures in it. Not only the Spanish one though, although it will most likely be a part of it.

Seems like a basic rejection of the Calvinist protestants against Catholocism. The Spanish simply couldn't get a decent foothold. It became a semi Vietnam for them.

Yeah, but The Netherlands weren't the only country they lost because of their crazy war to protect the Catholic Church!

Back