New car

PostCode

Major contributor!
I got pretty tired of stuffin $20 bills down the gas tank so I went out and invested in a four banger. Got a 06 Chevy Aveo. With the stick shift this thing does absolutely great. With only an 11 gallon tank, I drove from Coos Bay to Portland on a half a tank and it actually drives fairly decent too. The goal though was cheap car that would be cheap at the pump.

It sure is nice being able to spend a third of the amount on gas at the pump when it comes time to fill up since we are averaging around $3.15 a gallon.

My brother, on the other hand, just got a $55K inheritance from his grandmother. This last Saturday he went out and paid cash for a brand new Nissan Frontier pickup. Paid $22K for it total with all the extra warranty stuff. They maked it down a wee bit since he paid for it outright.

simplyred

You are a smart man. I recently bought a Chevy Trailblazer. Oh I love it alright. Lots a room, can fit 3 carseats, comfy ride, pretty color....the damn thing is sitting in the driveway right now because I can't afford to take it anywhere!

highwayman

PostCode said:
I drove from Coos Bay to Portland on a half a tank and it actually drives fairly decent too.

I know all about the price of gas on the coast, I live in Vernonia and it has one gas station and with no compitition it can be spendy, usualy I buy my gas in Beaverton on the way to work...

Inkara1

Averaging $3.39 down here. I'm driving a 2000 Neon so it's decent on gas... not as good as an Aveo would be but it beats a lot of other cars. What did your Aveo replace?

The Frontier... 4-cylinder or V6? Either way, he's a lot better off with it than he would be with a Titan, F-150, Ram, etc. while still keeping a lot of the cargo capacity.

PostCode

Major contributor!
Beaverton? Man, that's my home. I grew up there. It's nothing like it was when I was a kid though....nope, not at all.

PostCode

Major contributor!
It replaced the Chevy Caprice V8 5 gallons to the mile POS.

He got the V6 model, jet black. It goes in tomorrow to get a clear coating. Something like a grand, give or take a few bucks...must be nice.

Inkara1

The hatchback will be good for moving computers around and stuff. You do know that the Aveo is really a Daewoo, right?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
PostCode said:
It replaced the Chevy Caprice V8 5 gallons to the mile POS.

He got the V6 model, jet black. It goes in tomorrow to get a clear coating. Something like a grand, give or take a few bucks...must be nice.

What year was the caprice?

PostCode

Major contributor!
Yeah. My wife kept trying to tell me it was the latest Geo Metro. She had the hardest time understanding that it 'replaced' the Geo.

It's an 93' Caprice. Old, but reliable.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
PostCode said:
Yeah. My wife kept trying to tell me it was the latest Geo Metro. She had the hardest time understanding that it 'replaced' the Geo.

It's an 93' Caprice. Old, but reliable.

5 years ago we got rid of an 87 Caprice...so yours is just a year younger than ours was when we rid ourselves of it. You're right though, a reliable car it was.

Inkara1

Actually, getting an import rebadged as a domestic isn't such a bad way to go... you get a fuel-sipping, zippy little runabout, but with the backing of thousands of Chevy dealers across the nation.

Altron

How much did the Aveo cost?

*not to be a grumpy old man, that's Prof's job, but I would imagine that a $10,000 new car getting five times the mileage is going to still be more expensive.

Oh, and GM B-platform cars are great.

Dave

Altron said:
How much did the Aveo cost?

*not to be a grumpy old man, that's Prof's job, but I would imagine that a $10,000 new car getting five times the mileage is going to still be more expensive.

Oh, and GM B-platform cars are great.

IIRC, Aveos are listed around $9800

HomeLAN

Must be the season. I just spent all of yesterday car shopping with my mother.

Finally, after a couple times of doing this over the years, I got her to buy what she actually needs. 2006 Subaru Outback, fairly loaded, but with the 2.5 4-banger. They were giving $2,500 cash back and I weasled them down another $2,000. Nice little car, and considering she lives 15 minutes from the nearest paved road, and the gravel road is iffy, she'll need the all wheel drive.