New land speed record set in Cheshire

Professur

UK cabbie clocked at 420mph
Supercharged Cavalier caught on camera

A UK cabbie has broken the previous speed record for a petrol-driven reciprocating-engined vehicle by clocking up an impressive 420mph in a 30mph zone in Newport, Gwent.

Back in 2004, sales manager Peter O’Flynn was captured by a speed camera in Cheshire doing 406mph in a humble Peugot - a record now shattered by Tom Matthews' 12-year-old Vauxhall Cavalier.

Matthews' magnificent achievement came as he was driving a woman home at 2.20am, The Sun reports. He later received confirmation of the new record in the form of a notice awarding him the appropriate prize of a 60 quid fine and three penalty points.

Modest Matthews, however, declined the honour, saying: "I drive an old Cavalier - not a jumbo jet. According to this, I've broken the land speed record."

He continued: "There has been a printing error. If they insist I was going that fast I should be a Grand Prix driver - I'm wasted in taxis."

Mid and South Wales Safety Camera Partnership blamed "an employee processing error" for the cock-up, and duly apologised. ®

source

It's the points that can bite ya...
On the Peugot trial hadn't they put that car on the track to prove how fast it could go? If memory serves it could barely maintain 95 mph....

well, he must have been doing that speed if he was in Gwent AND in Cheshire!

* :cheshire cat grin: *

... probably nearer 42000000 mph!!

Bloody taxi drivers! Bloody speed cameras! Bloody traffic wardens!(* BB Ducks*)

I like the Peugeot one... the guy was caught doing 406 miles an hour in a Peugeot 406. Fitting.

Back