New Stem Cell Method Avoids Destroying Embryos

spike

Biologists have developed a technique for establishing colonies of human embryonic stem cells without destroying embryos, a method that, if confirmed in other laboratories, would seem to remove the principal objection to stem cell research.

“There is no rational reason left to oppose this research,” said Dr. Robert Lanza, vice president of Advanced Cell Technology and leader of a team that reported the new method in an article published online by the journal Nature.

Rest of the article
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/23/science/23cnd-stem.html?hp&ex=1156392000&en=50b7791f82ef2a9f&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Glad that's all settled.

“There is no rational reason left to oppose this research,”

While there may be folks who oppose the research & have a right to do so, it is getting ridiculous how obscenely foolish the we want publically funded research & we want it now group looks.

It's not the governments job to do R&D. That is why they make private sectors laboratories. It's not illegal to research embryos in America.

i'd be really curious to find out how much research gets public funding. my exposure to research says "a lot." and probably a lot of important shit. DARPA, anyone?

but this raises an interesting issue, because it's not killing embryos, and i'm curious as to what (if any) the pro-lifers might object to on this one. is the copy of a "potential"....? i can imagine bioethics fuckers arguing that one for a while.

2minkey said:
i'd be really curious to find out how much research gets public funding. my exposure to research says "a lot."

It should be zero. The gov't should not be in the R&D business. They just fuck up everythng they touch.

again, what about ARPA/DARPA? how much cool shit has come out of stuff that was funded as gubmint, particularly defense, research?

the other issue is that private companies don't have the patience in many cases for long-term shit. they want profit now. they want it THIS QUARTER. (if you don't believe me, go talk to a production control person, or better yet, plant manager, in those plants you truck shit to.) we ain't got the patience. and that's a cultural fact. the flip side o'that is how the chinese are fucking us, very slowly and deliberately.

(don't ask me to explain cross-cultural ROI expectations... it's a pretty obscure thing at the moment...)

Gonz said:
It should be zero. The gov't should not be in the R&D business. They just fuck up everythng they touch.

goverment supplies research grants to universities, without those grants a whole bunch of us would have polio right now.

Wasn't that the March of Dimes group?

minkey-DARPA has one possible exception-military funding is written into the Constitution. Even then, there is enough private money to make all kinds of killing machines.

From their site
On a summer day in 1921, Franklin D. Roosevelt became one of its victims and the March of Dimes was born.

Over the next 17 years, the National Foundation focused on funding research to develop a vaccine against polio. While researchers worked tirelessly in their labs, volunteers helped polio victims and their families around the country.

In 1948, with funding provided by the March of Dimes, Dr. Jonas Salk was able to grow the three known types of polio virus in his lab and eventually to develop an experimental killed-virus vaccine.

the sabin vacciene was funded with the help of public monies.

and so was salks research

and roosevelt was misdiagnosed, he never had polio

but i don't think the dudes writing the cosntitution envisioned anything like that level of military-industrial complex going on. nevertheless, it's done some good shit. seems like giant-ass government projects have done a lot for this country. er, projects, not programs, that is. the public motivation from WW2, essentailly a gubmint project, made us what we is today. or, maybe, what we were...

As my question has always been what has government R&D ever invented or discovered? Prof reminded me that NASA is a government project & yes, that is a massive help, but the gov't still hasn't discovered a cure for anything.

Funding a massive project, in conjunction with private industry, with specific attainable goals is possibly within the parameters of the Constitution (general Welfare of the United States) but something like embryonic research, which is, at this point, noting more than stabbing in the dark hoping to hit an hoped for bullseye, is a waste of funds.

article 8 said:
To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;
They specifically limit the amount of involvement.

Gonz said:
As my question has always been what has government R&D ever invented or discovered? Prof reminded me that NASA is a government project & yes, that is a massive help, but the gov't still hasn't discovered a cure for anything.

And Burt Rutan's team is more than capable of leaving NASA in a smoldering heap of debris with a 100th of the funding. NASA was a gov't funded project ..... with a program, funding and a timeline. Now it's gotten to White Elephant status and needs to be addressed in that fashion. Let's face facts; over the last 40 years, NASA's been hamstrung by those gov't ties. The shuttle was a great program, great idea. But someone really should have asked themselves why the USSR shelved their shuttle before it ever got to the testing stage. It's because, while it may be the ultimate heavy lift orbiter ... it tries to squeeze too much into one package. Launch vehicle, Payload carrier, Crew reentry vehicle, and space lab all in one.

Did you know we are sitting on 2 million gallons of fuel, a nuclear weapon and a thing with 270,000 loose parts that was built by the lowest bidder. Kinda makes you feel good dont it?

and that was all well and good, but that was designed in the fucking '70's. First flew in '81. What the fuck was R&D doing for the last 25 years? I'll tell you. Trying to patch holes in a 1970's design. When Challenger blew up in '86, they damn near started back at square one. Patching, and patching, and patching. Challenger blew up because of a failed O-ring. What took 2 years of grounding to fix about an O-ring? It didn't. It was the thousands of other things that all needed to be addressed. Same thing when Colombia was lost. Failure was attributed to foam off the external tank. Fleet was grounded for how many years this time? And they had the same foam shedding when they finally did launch Discovery, didn't they? So what, exactly, were they fixing for all that time?

And now, what are they doing? Completely discarding the only practical experience they've had for the last 30+ years, and pulling out old '60 Apollo tech. They've got their R&D kids over at the fucking Smithsonian pulling apart the relics. (No, I'm not fucking kidding).

2minkey said:
again, what about ARPA/DARPA? how much cool shit has come out of stuff that was funded as gubmint, particularly defense, research?

Let's see...Turbochargers and Superchargers...advanced alloys...bulletproof glass...WD-40...the Internet (a DARPA project, BTW)...GPS...RADAR...SCUBA...Advanced aircraft design...nuclear energy...nylon...velcro...food preservation (canning)...

and that's just off the top of my head. ;)

2minkey said:
the other issue is that private companies don't have the patience in many cases for long-term shit. they want profit now. they want it THIS QUARTER. (if you don't believe me, go talk to a production control person, or better yet, plant manager, in those plants you truck shit to.) we ain't got the patience. and that's a cultural fact. the flip side o'that is how the chinese are fucking us, very slowly and deliberately.

(don't ask me to explain cross-cultural ROI expectations... it's a pretty obscure thing at the moment...)

That is a recent developement (since the 1970's) about profit "now".

When it comes to the subject or "Stem Cell", this is where my lib side shows.
I say open it up wide open.

Makes more since than jailing terrorist to me. (which we do now)

Again funding something that could greatly help the taxpayers health and open up a slew of employment would be far better use of taxpayer money than continuing to deplete the military in various extremely expensive farces.

Again funding something that could greatly help the taxpayers health and open up a slew of employment...

Assumption.

...would be far better use of taxpayer money than continuing to deplete the military in various extremely expensive farces.

The Constitution. If it needs amending, then amend it. Otherwise, follow it.

The Consitutions neither prohibits funding medical research nor encourages wasting money on unnecessary military actions.

Back