New TV ?

A.B.Normal

The wifes been wanting to get a new TV for several months ,our 27' livingroom set went ,meaning we've pulled the 20" tv from the Bedroom to use as our main set.Its not that we really need two tvs ,but with my wonky work schedule lately the wife misses being able to relax in bed and watch TV when I'm working nights.Its also a pain to play PS2 games and DVDs are lacking on an only 20".I won a cash card at the recent staff party so I figured I'd kick in some and go with an LCD,but I'm a little challenged at what to look for +/- wise.

I'm thinking this
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tventertainment/lcdtv/N3252w/

the 37" version is $200cdn more

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/tventertainment/lcdtv/n3752w/

I worry the 37" is too large as we sit approx 10 feet from the screen.I realize that chances are nobody owns either (since they are "C" Canada only) ,but its more the technical specs of each I need help with.

TIA

I just got 2 LCD HDtv's within the last two weeks. One 32" and one 37". both are bedroom tvs and viewed at less than 10 feet away. Incredible, is about all I can say for LCD tv's !!
get the bigger one and enjoy it.. (you'll wish you had later on anyway) viewing them at 5 to 10 feet is optimal distance and you don't get eyestrain like Tube tv's of the past.
(specs on mine are Identical to your linked choices BTW)

<I think Inky has a 32" LCD also so he may chime in to>

Crutchfield says that they have had customers remark that they wished they had bought a larger screen, but they rarely hear one wish they had bought a smaller one. :shrug:

Crutchfield says that they have had customers remark that they wished they had bought a larger screen, but they rarely hear one wish they had bought a smaller one. :shrug:

I've been keeping an eye on the returns at work,and one of the 37"s was returned with just that as the reason "too big". :laugh:

I used a tape measure to get an idea of how big that would be in the area it would be placed(no the wife wasn't home) ,it is indeed large,but my concern was more for viewing quality from approx. 10'.

*Copied from Crutchfields site*

Suggested viewing distances for HDTV-capable TVs.
We provide a range because the ideal distance will
depend on several factors, including signal quality.
Screen size Viewing distance range .

30" 3.75-6.25 feet .
34" 4.25-7 feet
42" 5.25-8.75 feet
50" 6.25-10.5 feet
56" 7-11.75 feet
62" 7.75-13 feet
70" 8.75-14.75 feet

*Copied from Crutchfields site*

Suggested viewing distances for HDTV-capable TVs.
We provide a range because the ideal distance will
depend on several factors, including signal quality.
Screen size Viewing distance range .

30" 3.75-6.25 feet .
34" 4.25-7 feet
42" 5.25-8.75 feet
50" 6.25-10.5 feet
56" 7-11.75 feet
62" 7.75-13 feet
70" 8.75-14.75 feet

Thanks,you provided good info in your first post, guess I shoulda said
but my concern was more for viewing quality from approx. 10',but Kruz answered my question about distance

although I did say "was" :bgpimp:

Maybe it would be a good idea to visit a TV store and take along a tape measure to see what one looks like from 10 feet? It's hard to picture in your mind what the reality is. (if that makes any sense) :cool:

Maybe it would be a good idea to visit a TV store and take along a tape measure to see what one looks like from 10 feet? It's hard to picture in your mind what the reality is. (if that makes any sense) :cool:

Actually they have both on display at work,but warehouse lighting and livingroom lighting are quite different combined with the fact that they run them all off one source and use multiple splitters ,image quality isn't to be relied on IMO.I've bought furniture from large stores figuring the "scale " was fine,but trying to fit it in the livingroom let alone the front door,was another fact.:santabng:

A bigger screen would have been nice but the 32-inch was the edge of my price range and as it turns out, it's the biggest I could fit into the space. 10 feet will be plenty of distance... if you view it from a foot or two away it looks like crap (although I don't have HD yet... I keep forgetting to call Charter and do that).

You don't get the extra deep employees discount on top of the fantastic savings? Or something.

You don't get the extra deep employees discount on top of the fantastic savings? Or something.

Nope they pay for our memberships and three memberships for close family.We do sometimes get first crack at the markdown end of stock items though.

What I ended up disliking about the plasmas & LCDs was the 720p maximum. 1080p would would be ideal (though nobody broadcasts in it yet) but I like 1080i.

It goes to 11.

It goes to 11.

{forced english accent}So thats one more than 10 then{/forced english accent}

From what I've been reading 1080p is very bandwidth intensive ,so it'll be a while(2010?) before most/any TV broadcasts are done at that rate anyway.Not sure what the DVD player is capable of outputting,I'd just hoped to be good for awhile technology wise if I chose to go that way.The wifes been looking at the standard tvs and I just can't see paying good money for old technology,so I figure I'll surprise her with an LCD. :eyemouth:

{forced english accent}So thats one more than 10 then{/forced english accent}

From what I've been reading 1080p is very bandwidth intensive ,so it'll be a while(2010?) before most/any TV broadcasts are done at that rate anyway.Not sure what the DVD player is capable of outputting,I'd just hoped to be good for awhile technology wise if I chose to go that way.The wifes been looking at the standard tvs and I just can't see paying good money for old technology,so I figure I'll surprise her with an LCD. :eyemouth:

Both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD can go to 1080p...

1. Women lie, size does matter. ;)

2. Re Blu-Ray, I just saw an article (I'll try to find it tonight) about how some experts think that by the time Blu-Ray settles on a standard it will likely be obsolete. Of course, we've heard that before.

Back