Nirvana's long-awaited offering

HeXp£Øi±

It's hard not to shudder at the sarcasm dripping from Kurt Cobain's voice as he sings "Things have never been so swell/ And I have never felt this well" in "You Know You're Right," the sole new song and marquee track on this long-awaited 14-song Nirvana retrospective. But the fact is that Nirvana shows that things really were pretty swell -- on the creative tip, at least.

Considering most of the tracks represent the three-year burst of drummer Dave Grohl's era in the band (as opposed to, say, the pre-Grohl Bleach years), Nirvana showcases a plethora of exceptional songs and inventive rock, foreshadowed by early tracks such as "About a Girl" and "Been a Son" and set into flight by the likes of "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "Come as You Are," and "Heart Shaped Box."

The taut, quiet-to-loud explosiveness of "You Know You're Right," the last song the group ever recorded, is comfortably in line with the rest, meaning that it doesn't foreshadow any new directions in which the band might have been headed. It's still a welcome addition to the Seattle trio's brief but enduring legacy.

Gary Graff
CDNOW Contributing Writer
http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1090944035/pagename=/RP/GENRES/cms_genres.html/fid=342845

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
it won't give me sleepless nights or anything, but it was a tragic ending :(

Like the new song, and i'm really glad Grohl continued with the foo fighters, which is one of my favourite bands :)

freako104

the foo fighters kick ass. although i do prfer nirvana i see it as from his death something great came out of something so horrible.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Nirvana ruined rock -n-roll. They took the magic &amp; pageantry out of it. Cobain was a weak link. Bring back Bon Scott.

unclehobart

I wont buy anything with the Nirvana label on it. I dont want to put a single penny into Courtney Loves pocket.

whoreable

why would i wanna buy an album that has like 2 songs i have never heard and all the rest the same old ones heard a billion times before. all for only 12.99!!!

flavio

Banned
unclehobart said:
I wont buy anything with the Nirvana label on it. I dont want to put a single penny into Courtney Loves pocket.

Quite a strong arguement for piracy :D

Nirvana was a great band and You know You're Right is a good tune.

freako104

unclehobart said:

i thought she wasnt getting any money from nirvanas albums? :confuse3:

unclehobart

sheeeit. Shes Cobains wife. Shes been in a multi year lawsuit to control 100% of the Nirvana name and profits away from the rest of the band.