No slippery slope?

Professur

Gun control redux

Controls plea after toddler shot

Rashid Rullah remains critically ill in hospital

Campaigners have called for legislation to make airgun owners liable for their weapons' misuse after an 18-month-old boy was shot in the garden of his home.

Rashid Rullah remains in a critical condition after being accidentally shot by his five-year-old sister at Washwood Heath, Birmingham, on Sunday.

Their grandfather said the father was using an airgun for target practice and turned his back to answer the phone.

The Gun Control Network (GCN) said such incidents were preventable.

'Terrible consequences'

It could be days before surgeons operate on the toddler, after what police have said appeared to be a "tragic accident".

The boy's grandfather, Bakht Rammand, told the BBC doctors were waiting for swelling to go down before performing surgery.

GCN, which campaigns for tighter controls on guns of all kinds, called for legislation to register airguns, and make their owners liable for the misuse of their weapons.

It said in a statement: "The tragic shooting of the toddler Rashid Rullah highlights once again the terrible consequences of the 'boys' toys' culture surrounding airgun ownership.

"This culture results in easy access, casual regard and non-accountability.

"Because airguns are not treated as 'real' weapons they are not thought worthy of registration or regulation."

Airguns and their owners could be registered, and they should be
Andrew Picken, father of shooting victim

The GCN said airguns were responsible for about half of all firearms offences, and more than a quarter of all serious firearms injuries.

The organisation said that children have picked up air weapons left lying around and the result has been that other children, often siblings or friends, have been killed, blinded or injured.

"The adults who own these guns are rarely held to account," the GCN said.

"There is no law requiring them to store their weapons safely, nor is there any record of ownership."

Rashid was treated by an ambulance crew at the family home in Bennetts Road before being taken to hospital.

His father, Bakht Zaman, 29, had turned his back on the children at the terraced house to answer his mobile shortly before 1900 BST, Bakht Rammand said.

He said on Monday: "Rashid's sister is really active and she got hold of the gun and pointed it at her brother.

"He was on the high ground and she was on the low ground. It hit him right in the middle of the back of his head."

Mr Rammand said the boy's mother, Fazilat Zaman, 25, was at his grandson's bedside.

The father of 12-year-old Mitchel Picken, who was killed in 2006 as his friends played with an air weapon, also joined the call for stronger controls.

Mitchel died after being shot in the eye in Stockton Brook, Staffordshire. Another boy was later cleared of his manslaughter.

Mitchel's father, Andrew Picken, said: "The government cannot hide behind recent changes in legislation, which failed to take the airgun problem seriously enough and make owners responsible for storing their weapons safely.

"Airguns and their owners could be registered, and they should be.

Soon to be registered .... sharp sticks and anything not marketed by Nerf.

source

Oh, and FYI ... high powered air weapons ARE already subject to the canadian firearms registry. I was considering buying a plain old BB gun for one of my kids in the US, and decided to ask at the border about any difficulties with bringing it in. I was told that I really needed to phone the bureau with the model number of the unit I was considering before buying it. Over X fps (can't recall exactly) air powered finds itself classed with .22lr.

yep.

and I personally beleive high power air guns should have an age, area of use restritions.
Ditto for paint-ball and Airsoft guns.

Tell me about it. My son and several of his classmates got pelted by plastic pellets from an air gun. Some 7-8yr old on his balcony across the street was having a blast (pardon the pun) trying to hit 5-8yr olds.

The cops were called and the kid's gun taken away. Not sure what happened to the parents. I have in my van 3 of the pellets that I found after a cursory search, next to the playground.

I found out by accident. My son told me, then I asked the supervisors at his day-camp..then they told me.

i think all kids should be suspended in harnesses (to prevent impact with the ground causing tissue disruption), within antiseptic bubbles, within vaults with oxygen circulation systems, with a dozen ex-SEAL sentries posted outside at all times because they might get hurt otherwise!

Oxygen is poisonous in too high quantities.

I suppose that the alternative is the best idea...oh Lord of the flies.

Where did I put that pig's head on a stick?

A teenager has died after being punched in the face in an "unprovoked" street attack.
(Advertisement)

Dominic Barritt, 18, of Clacton, Essex, suffered a severe head injury after he was assaulted in the centre of Walton, Essex, in the early hours of Saturday, police said.

He died in hospital on Monday afternoon with his mother at his bedside.

Detectives are studying CCTV footage in the hope of identifying Mr Barritt's killer.

House-to-house inquiries are also taking place in the area of the attack, which happened outside a convenience store.

Detective superintendent John Quinton said there had been a "good response" to witness appeals.

He added: "Dominic was the victim of an unprovoked attack and his family are hoping the community can help us arrest the man that hit him."

Any witnesses to the incident are asked to call Essex Police on 0300 3334444.

The movement to ban hands in public will be along shortly.

Source

Hand are not created strictly to kill, maim or injure. Guns are...

/me kicks story off the slippery slope. "You must be this relevant to ride this slide"

Hand are not created strictly to kill, maim or injure. Guns are...

/me kicks story off the slippery slope. "You must be this relevant to ride this slide"

Actually, guns are made to keep me from getting killed, maimed, or injured. Oh, and they also provide some pretty good meals too!

Couldn't walk over & talk to the parents? Had to get the law involved over kid stupidities?
:shrug: I wasn't there...the supervisors are 17-19 and have a buttload of kids to mind.

As for bringing the cops in... we aren't talking about water balloons, eh.

Actually, guns are made to keep me from getting killed, maimed, or injured. Oh, and they also provide some pretty good meals too!

Actually guns are made to kill, human or animal, the design is to end life. I don't think we should ban guns. Just gun owners. :p

yes. and laws are there to help the empowered can retain their power. obviously evil, just like guns. *yawn.*

so let's ban laws. or, no, let's ban the people that follow laws.

Back