Now that's unusual

Mirlyn

HomeLAN said:
Pay for play, perhaps? Or are those listed in popularity?
Popularity.....I don't think google lets you pay to change the order of search results.

Inkara1

Odd that Google's listed fifth... behind Yahoo and AltaVista. I can understand being listed behind Yahoo in terms of popularity... but AltaVista? That was the best search engine... in 1998.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
they've still got babelfish going for them, if it weren't for that, i would have forgotten the name long ago

tommyj27

Not really Banned
and is altavista now owned by yahoo? all the links on the site point to av.rds.yahoo.com

pc_builder

tommyj27 said:
and is altavista now owned by yahoo? all the links on the site point to av.rds.yahoo.com

Yes. I went searching through AltaVista's news archive, and, to make a long story short.

Overture Services aquired Altavista early in 2003. Then, in late 2003, Yahoo bought Overture... So now Yahoo owns Altavista.

pc_builder

Inkara1 said:
So is AltaVista "Yahoo's own search technology" that they're replacing Google with?

:confused: All I know is I've never used Yahoo's own search technology. All I've ever gotten were Yahoo sites.

Inkara1

Yahoo used to contract out to a third party to provide search technology. They have their web guide that's has sites added in by actual people, and then the search engine that sends its spiders out to find sites. For the last few years, Google provided that technology to Yahoo, but Yahoo recently terminated the agreement because they wanted to use their own search technology.