Obama appoints still one more tax cheat -- er -- common error offender

jimpeel

It seems that there are now two tax cheats who didn't know they were supposed to actually pay taxes on their earnings and gifts in excess of certain amounts like oh, say, $250,000 over three years for a car and driver.

It also seems that Daschle also forgot about a mere $220,000 in speaking fees from health care groups; but I'm sure there is no conflict of interest there for the Secretary of Health and Human Services.

And so what if he didn't pay $128,203 in back taxes and $11,964 in interest. I'm sure the IRS would give any one of us a pass if we failed to pay a mere $1,000 or so. I'm sure Mr. Obama would be leading the charge in our defense.

Report: Daschle Received $220G From Health Care Groups With Vested Interest
Sen. Tom Daschle, President Obama's nominee to head the Department of Health and Human Services, reportedly received $220,000 in speaking fees from health care groups with a vested interest in the work he would do once confirmed as health chief.

FOXNews.com

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Tom Daschle, the former South Dakota senator picked by President Obama to reside over the nation's healthcare system, received $220,000 in speaking fees from health care groups with an interest in the work he would do once confirmed as health chief, Politico.com reported Saturday.

Daschle, who has come under fire in recent days for his failure to pay taxes, reportedly received thousands from health care groups -- such as the Health Industry Distributors Association -- that stand to gain or lose depending on the outcome of Obama's universal health care initiative.

The Health Industry Associated paid Dashle a speaking fee of $14,000 in March 2008, according to Politico.com.

The speaking fees were detailed in a financial disclosure statement released Friday after it was revealed that Daschle -- Obama's nominee to head the Department of Health and Human Services -- failed to pay $128,203 in back taxes and $11,964 in interest.

Click here to read the full report from Politico.com.

The White House acknowledged Friday that Daschle had "some tax issues," which, the administration says, have been resolved and should not bar his confirmation as secretary.

FOX News confirmed that Daschle alerted the Senate Finance Committee, which is set to oversee his confirmation hearing, that the matter involves more than $100,000 in back taxes and interest for a car and driver that was provided to him for four years by Leo Hindery, a wealthy Democratic donor, longtime friend and business associate of Daschle.

Daschle incorrectly assumed the use of the car and driver was not subject to taxation. But the White House says he discovered the error during preparation for his confirmation and filed amended tax returns with the proper payment and interest.

The unreported income for the car service totaled more than $250,000 over three years.

Hindery founded InterMedia Partners, a private equity firm, in 1988. Daschle was paid $1 million annually for his consulting services, the Senate Finance Committee said.

Daschle also had unreported consulting income of $88,333, in 2007. He also had reductions to charitable contributions totaling about $15,000 over the three years covered, according to a Senate Finance Committee document. The document, marked "Confidential Draft," is a committee statement concerning Daschle's nomination.

The White House issued a statement Friday night affirming that Daschle "is the right person to lead the fight for health care reform."

"Senator Daschle brought these issues to the Finance Committee's attention when he submitted his nomination forms and we are confident the committee is going to schedule a hearing for him very soon, and he will be confirmed," it says.

Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., the committee's chairman, has scheduled a closed-door meeting with committee members to discuss the matter before proceeding with Daschle's confirmation hearing.

The news comes on the heals of an uproar over the tax troubles of another one of Obama's Cabinet nominees. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner was confirmed this week after apologizing for failing to pay $34,000 in taxes on time, an error that he said was a "careless" mistake.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's office released a statement Friday strongly backed Daschle despite the new revelations.

"Senator Daschle will be confirmed as Secretary of Health and Human Services," Reid spokesman Jim Manley said. "He has a long and distinguished career and record in public service and is the best person to help reform health care in this country. Senator Reid looks forward to a swift hearing and is confident Daschle will be confirmed."

A spokeswoman for Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, the ranking Republican on the Finance Committee, issued a statement Friday acknowledging that the committee's vetting process had turned up the tax violations, though she did not say whether Grassley had taken a stance yet on the matter.

Click here to read the Senate Finance Committee report on Daschle.

FOX News' Major Garrett and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

By the way, Daschle's wife is a lobbyist. I thought Obama set a rule against lobbyists having any influence in his administration.

We all know you like you some lobbyists Jim.

Obama doesn't.
NY Times said:
In what ethics-in-government advocates described as a particularly far-reaching move, Mr. Obama barred officials of his administration from lobbying their former colleagues “for as long as I am president.” He barred former lobbyists from working for agencies they had lobbied within the past two years and required them to recuse themselves from issues they had handled during that time.

Ugh oh
Mr. Obama’s nominee for deputy secretary of defense, William Lynn, has been a lobbyist for the defense contractor Raytheon, and his nominee for deputy secretary of health and human services, William V. Corr, lobbied for stricter tobacco regulations as an official with the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids.

NY Times

Oh shit
Timothy Geithners choice for chief of staff, Mark Patterson, was a registered lobbyist for Goldman until April 11, 2008...
ABC

Hoping for change you can belive in

LOL! No one seems to remember Bush appointing Larry Thompson as the "corporate ethics czar" :rofl:, who was the Director of Providian (the credit card company that defrauded its customers by "losing" their payment checks each month to rack up late fees for its customers; settled a fraud suit to the tune of $400 million in 2002).

However, I agree. Not the best choice for the post.

LOL! No one seems to remember Bush appointing Larry Thompson as the "corporate ethics czar" :rofl:, who was the Director of Providian (the credit card company that defrauded its customers by "losing" their payment checks each month to rack up late fees for its customers; settled a fraud suit to the tune of $400 million in 2002).

However, I agree. Not the best choice for the post.

although I did vote for bush, I never like most of his domestic policies, and
after Colon left I really fell out with him more and more.
He picked the wrong people in most positions. Even the cabinet sec. resigned.

It became clearer, that the conspiracy theory about families, and certain
elite have a different set of laws to go by.

I never like the use of czar.
Reminds me of the ussr.

I guess taxes are for the people...Not the card carrying members of the People's Party!!

Glad to see Dasshole leaving. He has been a joke for years now.

Yes the Fascist Party always pays their taxes!

Oh wait, Mss Wasilla failed to pay taxes on the housing allowance she collects from Alaska for living in her own home.

Obama doesn't.

Ugh oh

NY Times

Oh shit

ABC

Hoping for change you can believe in

Time said:
Not surprisingly, Obama's good-government backers were less than pleased to see the President, only a few days after signing the blanket ban, issue a waiver permitting William Lynn to serve as Deputy Secretary of Defense. The lobbying loophole was allowed, Administration officials explain, because Lynn is "uniquely qualified" for the job. Realists at the Pentagon and elsewhere put it slightly differently, saying the President was simply acknowledging that people who know how to run the Pentagon generally have been involved in the process.

The episode is a painful lesson for Obama. Even though his team asserts that it has put into place the toughest rules ever against lobbyists going to work for the Federal Government, the only thing most folks will remember is that Obama made an exception to that rule for one of his top officials.

Source

Ummm OK, nice propaganda there Gonz, but if you take out the quotes it shows the real substance of the post....

OMG Obama isn't perfect! Does anyone know any painless suicide options? Many of us may need them....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/fir...a-admits-mistake-handling-daschle-nomination/

Obama Admits 'Mistake' in Handling of Daschle Nomination
President Obama tells FOX News he takes responsibility for the handling of Tom Daschle's Cabinet nomination; he also says he's standing firm on a Feb. 16 deadline for the economic stimulus.

President Obama admitted he made a "mistake" in his handling of Tom Daschle's Cabinet nomination, telling FOX News on Tuesday that he takes full responsibility for a process that ended in Daschle withdrawing his name amid tax problems.

The president also said in the interview with FOX News that he's standing firm on a Feb. 16 deadline for the multi-billion dollar stimulus bill being debated on Capitol Hill, despite growing concerns that package contains too much unnecessary spending.

Daschle's withdrawal, along with wrangling over the stimulus, made for possibly the rockiest day of Obama's presidency so far. The president said he will learn from the Daschle debacle.

"I consider this a mistake on my part, one that I intend to fix and correct and make sure that we're not screwing up again," Obama said. "Ultimately I have to take responsibility for a process that resulted in us not having a (health and human services) secretary at a time when people need relief on their health care costs.

"So this is a mistake -- probably not the first one I'm going to be making in this office, but what I'm absolutely committed to doing is fixing it," he said.

Obama, who had tapped Daschle to steer a sweeping health care reform effort, said the next order of business is to find another "highly qualified" health and human services secretary.

Obama denied influencing Daschle's decision to withdraw, which caught a number of senators by surprise Tuesday. Though Daschle caught flak for revelations that he had failed to pay more than $130,000 in taxes, the former Senate majority leader has strong personal ties on Capitol Hill, and several Democrats said they thought he still could have won confirmation.

Obama said the decision was Daschle's.

"We can't send a message to the American people that we've got two sets of rules -- one for prominent people and one for ordinary people," Obama said, defending his administration's standards. (That, however, is exactly the message that is being sent. Those in power can get away with not paying their taxes, they can lie about who they will allow into their administration, etc. -- j)

Meanwhile, Obama said he's standing by a Feb. 16 deadline for the economic stimulus package, dismissing much of the criticism in the media and elsewhere about the size of the bill and its contents.

"I think actually that we are closer to getting it right than all these critics," Obama said. "There is no magic bullet to these situations."

He stressed that the package, which is tagged at close to $900 billion on the Senate side, boosts unemployment insurance, provides support for people who lost health care and makes investments in green technology and infrastructure that will jolt the economy.

He said the so-called "pet projects" at issue amount to "less than one percent of the entire package.

"This is not going to be a package that makes everybody happy, but the main criteria I have -- is it going to put people back to work? And I think it actually will," he said. "We can't afford to wait."

But the bill's fate was unclear as both Democratic and Republican lawmakers voiced concerns about the way the money would be spent.

Republicans have been honing their opposition to the stimulus, calling on Democrats to make major changes.

Though Obama has reached out to Republican governors who support the plan like Vermont's Jim Douglas to help make his case, the Republican Governors Association on Tuesday sent around a memo urging members to speak out against wasteful elements of the package.

House Republican Whip Eric Cantor's press secretary also sent a strategy memo to other press officers pointing out inconsistencies in the bill. It highlighted a Gallup poll Tuesday that found most Americans either reject the stimulus bill or want "major changes" to it.

The poll "makes clear that Americans understand that the stimulus plan, in its current form, must be dramatically altered," the memo said.

ABC News said:
Obama Takes Blame in Daschle, Killefer Controversy
Obama abandons his nomination fight for Daschle, second appointee, declaring he 'screwed up'

By JENNIFER LOVEN AP White House Correspondent
WASHINGTON February 4, 2009 (AP) The Associated Press
18 comments

Barack Obama on Tuesday abruptly abandoned his nomination fight for Tom Daschle and a second major appointee who failed to pay all their taxes, fearing a lingering ethics dispute would undercut his claims to moral high ground and cripple his presidency in just its second week. "I screwed up," Obama declared.

"It's important for this administration to send a message that there aren't two sets of rules — you know, one for prominent people and one for ordinary folks who have to pay their taxes," Obama said near the end of a day of jarring developments, little more than 24 hours after he had said he was "absolutely" committed to Daschle's confirmation.

"I'm frustrated with myself, with our team. ... I'm here on television saying I screwed up," Obama said on NBC's "Nightly News with Brian Williams." He repeated virtually the same words in interviews with other TV anchors.

Source

I am sure you see it a whole different way Jim, but I find it refreshing to have a man in office willing to admit mistakes. When did the last administration ever do that? They just rationalized and justified their mistakes, and sometimes criminal behavior.

Hell, come to think of it, I can't remember Reagan or Clinton really admitting mistakes in such a manner and I respected both of those men a great deal.

:beerbang:

Source

I am sure you see it a whole different way Jim, but I find it refreshing to have a man in office willing to admit mistakes. When did the last administration ever do that? They just rationalized and justified their mistakes, and sometimes criminal behavior.

:beerbang:

Bush openly admitted that he erred on WMDs.

"It is true that much of the intelligence turned out to be wrong. As president I am responsible for the decision to go into Iraq. And I'm also responsible for fixing what went wrong by reforming our intelligence capabilities. And we're doing just that."
-G.W. Bush in a December 13, 2005 speech

Back