Obama bites head off bat fetus while signing anti gun bill!

Well not really, but this ought to really torque Jim off!

Assosciated Press said:
Antarctica to Pyramids
lights dim for Earth Hour
By VANESSA GERA – 1 hour ago

BONN, Germany (AP) — From an Antarctic research base to the Great Pyramids of Egypt and beyond, the world switched off the lights on Saturday for the second Earth Hour, dimming skyscrapers, city streets and some of the world's most recognizable monuments for 60 minutes to highlight the threat of climate change.

Time zone by time zone, nearly 4,000 cities and towns in 88 countries joined the event sponsored by the World Wildlife Fund to dim nonessential lights from 8:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

An agreement to replace Kyoto Protocol, which expires in 2012, is supposed to be reached in Copenhagen, Denmark, this December, and environmentalists' sense of urgency has spurred interest in this year's Earth Hour. Last year, only 400 cities participated; Sydney held a solo event in 2007.

Organizers initially worried enthusiasm this year would wane with the world focused on the global economic crisis, Earth Hour executive director Andy Ridley told The Associated Press. But he said it apparently had the opposite effect.

"Earth Hour has always been a positive campaign; it's always around street parties, not street protests, it's the idea of hope, not despair. And I think that's something that's been incredibly important this year because there is so much despair around," he said. "On the other side of it, there's savings in cutting your power usage and being more sustainable and more efficient."

The Chatham Islands, a small chain about 500 miles (800 kilometers) east of New Zealand, switched off its diesel generators to officially begin Earth Hour. Soon after, the lights of Auckland's Sky Tower, the tallest man-made structure in New Zealand, blinked off.

At Scott Base in Antarctica, New Zealand's 26-member winter team resorted to minimum safety lighting and switched off appliances and computers.

In Australia, people attended candlelit speed-dating events and gathered at outdoor concerts as the hour of darkness rolled through. Sydney's glittering harbor was bathed in shadows as lights dimmed on the steel arch of the city's iconic Harbour Bridge and the nearby Opera House.

And in Egypt, the Great Pyramids darkened, as did the Sphinx.

In Bonn, WWF activists planned a candlelit cocktail party on the eve of a U.N. climate change meeting, the first in a series of talks this year seeking a new deal to curb emissions of heat-trapping gases that scientists say are dangerously warming the planet.

As nightfall approached in Europe, Paris planned to darken more than 200 monuments and buildings, including the Louvre and Notre Dame Cathedral.

The Eiffel Tower will extinguish its lights for only five minutes for security reasons because visitors will be on the tower, said WWF France spokesman Pierre Chasseray. But a nightly 9 p.m. sparkling lights feature will not run.

"Above all in the current economic crisis, we should send a signal for climate protection," said Klaus Wowereit, the mayor of Berlin, one in a handful of German cities switching off lights for Earth Day for the first time.

In Switzerland, the city of Geneva plans to switch off the lights on its theaters, churches and monuments. Among these are the Reformation Wall, where floodlights normally illuminate 10-foot (three-meter) statues of John Calvin and other leaders of Protestantism. The city's motto engraved on either side of the statues is: "After darkness, light."

Romania planned to turn off lights at the massive palace built in Bucharest by the late dictator Nicolae Ceausescu.

Still, a key 2010 football World Cup qualifier against Serbia posed a dilemma for Romanians. "Shall we watch the match or turn off the lights?," the 7plus daily asked in its main front-page headline.

The U.N. headquarters in New York and other facilities were dimming their lights to signal the need for global support for a new climate treaty.

U.N. Secretary Ban Ki-moon called Earth Hour "a way for the citizens of the world to send a clear message: They want action on climate change."

China participated for the first time, cutting the lights at Beijing's Bird's Nest Stadium and Water Cube, the most prominent 2008 Olympic venues. Shanghai cut lights at all government buildings and other structures on its waterfront, while Hong Kong, Baoding, Changchun, Dalian, Nanjing and Guangzhou also took part.

In Bangkok, the prime minister switched off the lights on Khao San Road, a haven for budget travelers packed with bars and outdoor cafes. On Bangkok's bustling Silom Road, street vendors hawking pirated DVDs and T-shirts chipped in by turning off the bulbs that light their stalls.

Earth Hour organizers say there's no uniform way to measure how much energy is saved worldwide.

Earth Hour 2009 has garnered support from global corporations, nonprofit groups, schools, scientists and celebrities — including Oscar-winning actress Cate Blanchett and retired Cape Town Archbishop Desmond Tutu.

McDonald's Corp. planned to dim its arches at 500 locations around the U.S. Midwest. The Marriott, Ritz-Carlton and Fairmont hotel chains and Coca-Cola Co. also planned to participate.

the world switched off the lights on Saturday for the second Earth Hour,

funneh. i turned a few extra on

In Australia, people attended candlelit speed-dating events

oh how precious

In Bonn, WWF activists planned a candlelit cocktail party on the eve of a U.N. climate change meeting, the first in a series of talks this year seeking a new deal to curb emissions of heat-trapping gases that scientists say are dangerously warming the planet.

hope they had plenty of ice on hand to keep their dwinkypoos chilled. gettin hot out there you know

The Eiffel Tower will extinguish its lights for only five minutes for security reasons because visitors will be on the tower

oh you betcha. cant imagine saving the planet at the risk of not selling a few dozen tickets now can we? this is important stuff we're doing here

In Switzerland, the city of Geneva plans to switch off the lights on its theaters, churches and monuments.

but not on anything that might generate revenue for the government. this is important stuff we're doing here

Still, a key 2010 football World Cup qualifier against Serbia posed a dilemma for Romanians. "Shall we watch the match or turn off the lights?," the 7plus daily asked in its main front-page headline.

oh my what a connundrum. save the planet or be entertained? i mean, this is important stuff we're doing here. we're activists by golly, you people better listen to us and get busy inconveniencing yourselv...GGOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!

The U.N. headquarters in New York and other facilities were dimming their lights to signal the need for global support for a new climate treaty.

exactly who does one make a climate treaty with? the weather channel?

China participated for the first time, cutting the lights at Beijing's Bird's Nest Stadium and Water Cube, the most prominent 2008 Olympic venues.

and anyone who reads a newspaper knows that these venues arent even used after the olympics. gee willikers what a sacrifice. this is important stuff we're doing here

Shanghai cut lights at all government buildings

a government office open after 5pm. yeah right. this is impor...ah nevermind

In Bangkok, the prime minister switched off the lights on Khao San Road, a haven for budget travelers

screw the poor, but lets not inconvenience the wealthy. oh no. this is important stu..oh sorry

On Bangkok's bustling Silom Road, street vendors hawking pirated DVDs and T-shirts chipped in by turning off the bulbs that light their stalls.

hey look we even have the criminals doing their part! maybe this really is important stuff we're doing here. wonder how many people got their pockets picked with the lights off though...

Earth Hour organizers say there's no uniform way to measure how much energy is saved worldwide.

translated - dont ask us if this amounted to spit in the ocean because we dont have a damn clue. but this is important stuff we're doing here

McDonald's Corp. planned to dim its arches at 500 locations around the U.S. Midwest.
yeah we might dim em but cut em off entirely? go screw yourself, we got big macs to move here

what a load of bullshit. i hope the happy slappy circle jerk is over now. we all got each other all sweaty thighed and feel good about all the important stuff we accomplished which of course cannot be accurately measured but trust us it was a whole lot. we know. we're activists. we know this kind of stuff. now turn your lights off cretin, we said so

what a waste of humanity

Obama bites head off bat fetus while signing anti gun bill!

I just got a petition, and an application from the nra today :D

....what a waste of humanity

I can think of a lot about post #2 that qualifies. Actually though the whole thing became tedious and dull after a few lines, but that gem did of course, catch my eye.

Jim will have a great reply though, I have faith. That's the thing about Jim, is that even when I totally disagree, he certainly makes it interesting! Maybe someday you can be half as smart and witty yourself!

Oh, that's today? Hey, 8:30 is nine minutes from now.

Guess I'll turn off the lights in the rooms I'm not in... wait, I already do that. Well, maybe I can switch the one light that's on in the room I'm in to a compact fluorescent... oh, I did that too. Aw, jeez... guess I can't make a stand for the environment after all. :(

Very nice. Just think how much power it'll take to restart all those dimmed/shut off items.

Even if you agree that there's a problem (let alone what or how severe the problem is) I would think it's still wildly unlikely to be solved by empty rhetoric or meaningless gestures. :shrug:

I did a little arc welding for the occasion,
but it's ok, I built a modern art of obama.

no not really, but I could have

I doubt you pay taxes. Most other ten year olds I've known are unemployed. If there was a benifits check somewhere for me, then plenty of my own taxes would have paid for it, and I'd probably save it for my senior years. Why don't you go play now, you know you have to get up early for school tommorrow!

If there was a benifits check somewhere for me, then plenty of my own taxes would have paid for it,

highly unlikely. the overwhelming majority of obama disciples are liberal. the overwhelming majority of liberals live off the sweat of other brows. simple deduction dictates that the odds are quite good that indeed you are not gainfully employed

besides anybody who gets up and goes to work would never vote to have their pockets raided by a community organizer hellbent on raising taxes to provide an endless stream of handouts. there are a few spacktards who did it without knowing what they were doing, but since you libbies are so smart one must conclude that you simply voted yourself some benefits out of my pocket

simple really

Back