Obama bites head off bat fetus while signing anti gun bill!

The 'grid' doesn't have to do the work, Jim.

You use X amount of power/hour/day.
You put
Y amount of power into the grid from Coal-fired
Z amount of power into the grid from Oil-fired
W amount of power into the grid from hydro-electric.

If W = X , turn off Y and Z
If W + 1/2Y = X , turn off Z and half of Y

etc..

It's really not that difficult to estimate demand, aim a little bit higher and turn off what you don't use. *If you keep everything on, you're wasting electricity :shrug:

Nice sentiment, but that's all it is. You can't "turn off" Y and Z because Y and Z cannot be ramped up on demand from zero to full demand. We have covered this on the wind power threads and how the coal fired plants have to be kept online to make up for when the wind doesn't blow; and they can't be ramped up instantly when it doesn't. That's what happened recently when the utilities miscalculated the wind power put into the grid; and when the wind ramped up the grid went down completely due to the spike.

Wind-power is unreliable...it's the wrong example.

The only way to stop the reliance of oil/coal powered plants is to replace them...and mothball them. Nobody's expecting coal/oil plants to go from zero to hero in seconds or even minutes..but hours of advanced notice..:shrug:

I know let's just freely waste all raw materials, all energy sources and mine the shit out of everything while recycling nothing! I mean why did god put that shit in the ground if he didn't want man to have dominion and rape the planet?

Back