Obama bites head off bat fetus while signing anti gun bill!

RandomJackass... you're a funny guy! I love the title.

Damn, Earth Hour was yesterday? Ah well... I was grilling some dead animal flesh over the fire pit yesterday. The lights in the house were off regardless.

Honestly, there is no way that anyone is going to be able to get everyone in the world to comply with this. Businesses (see statement regarding McDonald's in the article) aren't going to cut all lights for an hour. Regular folks may do that as a lark once a year but not on a regular basis.

Wasn't it Jimmy Carter that advised/asked citizens in the US to move their thermostats up in the summer? (The message was to conserve energy.) I think that most American's do just that, they conserve energy where they can.

It's funny that after gasoline hit $4/gallon (more in some places) that Americans drove less when the outcry was that Americans couldn't possibly use less gasoline than they were. Gasoline consumption is still very low in the US and has not increased to it's historic norm.

Americans are pretty flexible and resourceful when they put their minds to it.

Funny...we saved 15% of electricity usage across Quebec. - That's 15% more electricity we sold across the border than usual ;)

Funny...we saved 15% of electricity usage across Quebec. - That's 15% more electricity we sold across the border than usual ;)
Quebec used 15% less electricity? Or they sold 15% more electricity across the border (I assume, to the US)?

Quebec used 15% less electricity? Or they sold 15% more electricity across the border (I assume, to the US)?
Our personal usage for that hour dropped 15% - but since we sell all of our 'spare' electricity to NY, VT, and MASS, and it's not enough for their usage our dropped usage turned into electricity sold to them instead.

Thing about hydro-electric is that we produce "X" electricity...we can regulate it to a certain point by slowing the flow through the generators, but why bother? Every spare megawatt of power gets sold...and it's all renewable, green power.

To tell the truth...Earth Hour is a joke for us and for places that use nuclear reactors. It's not like we stop burning coal or oil during that hour...and thus save CO2. At best, you can say that since we sell the northern USA our spare power, we stop them from having to burn as much oil/coal for power. So we're creating less CO2, by proxy. :glasses3:

Wasn't it Jimmy Carter that advised/asked citizens in the US to move their thermostats up in the summer? (The message was to conserve energy.) I think that most American's do just that, they conserve energy where they can.

I know he went on TV wearing a sweater and told everyone to wear a sweater and turn down the thermostat in the winter.

Jiminy said wear a sweater but Al didn't even dim his dining room light.

You do realize that this means that your production did not decrease; and you polluted as much as usual -- right?

You then sold that 15% to other users who then used it to create even more pollution -- right?

So you are part of the problem, not part of the solution -- right?

You claim bragging rights to that?

You do realize that this means that your production did not decrease; and you polluted as much as usual -- right?

You then sold that 15% to other users who then used it to create even more pollution -- right?

So you are part of the problem, not part of the solution -- right?

You claim bragging rights to that?
Me said:
To tell the truth...Earth Hour is a joke for us and for places that use nuclear reactors. It's not like we stop burning coal or oil during that hour...and thus save CO2. At best, you can say that since we sell the northern USA our spare power, we stop them from having to burn as much oil/coal for power. So we're creating less CO2, by proxy.

We pollute less than people who draw power from coal-burning, oil-burning plants. We are 'polluting as much as usual' - but our 'usual' is a hellovalot lower than your 'usual', eh

We sold our extra to another grid... a grid that draws from several sources, including polluting sources. One would think that our purchasers would lower the amount of electricity coming from 'dirty sources' first.

No...we are part of the solution. You just fail to see it.

Alberta
Calgary, 10 MW

British Columbia, 72.67 MW (1.1%)
Victoria, (3.1%)
Vancouver, (1.3%)

Newfoundland and Labrador, (1%)

Nova Scotia, 15 MW (1%)

Ontario, 920 MW (6%)
Toronto, 455 MW (15%)
Mississauga, (10%)
Ottawa, (6%)
So-so across Canada
Quebec saved about 150megawatts

If that hour was so all fired important ... why did Mr.Gore feel the need to continue to floodlamp the trees on his property during it?

Oh, and just out of curiosity .... did anyone bother to tot up the difference in the carbon output of the coal power plants (in general, high efficiency with filtered smoke stacks) for that hour ... compared to the carbon produced by all the burned oil lamps and candles for that same hour? You don't really think people just sat in the dark during that time, did you?

Our personal usage for that hour dropped 15% - but since we sell all of our 'spare' electricity to NY, VT, and MASS, and it's not enough for their usage our dropped usage turned into electricity sold to them instead.

Thing about hydro-electric is that we produce "X" electricity...we can regulate it to a certain point by slowing the flow through the generators, but why bother? Every spare megawatt of power gets sold...and it's all renewable, green power.

To tell the truth...Earth Hour is a joke for us and for places that use nuclear reactors. It's not like we stop burning coal or oil during that hour...and thus save CO2. At best, you can say that since we sell the northern USA our spare power, we stop them from having to burn as much oil/coal for power. So we're creating less CO2, by proxy. :glasses3:
Well then either way, it's good then that you keep up the production and sell it to these states. My stepfather used to work up north (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, etc.) in a union that built, repaired and maintained various energy facilities for various companies. He would talk about the trash burning boiler plants and such. He never mentioned working in a coal burning plant, but they're there.

<snippety snip>
You don't really think people just sat in the dark during that time, did you?
Maybe they didn't sit in the dark. ;) Maybe they did other things in the dark... you know? ;) ;) ;)
"I know what you're trying to say girl. You're tryin to say 'Ooh yeah, it's business time.' It's business time.... mmmmhhhmmmm...
It’s business, it's business time! I know what your tryna say.
You're tryna say its time for business.
It's business time ooh. It's business, it's business time."

... bow-chicka-bow-bow!

One would think that our purchasers would lower the amount of electricity coming from 'dirty sources' first.

Unless, and until, you can come up with a way for the grid to differentiate between the electrons from "clean" sources, as opposed to "dirty" sources, you remain part of the problem.

The 'grid' doesn't have to do the work, Jim.

You use X amount of power/hour/day.
You put
Y amount of power into the grid from Coal-fired
Z amount of power into the grid from Oil-fired
W amount of power into the grid from hydro-electric.

If W = X , turn off Y and Z
If W + 1/2Y = X , turn off Z and half of Y

etc..

It's really not that difficult to estimate demand, aim a little bit higher and turn off what you don't use. *If you keep everything on, you're wasting electricity :shrug:

Back