Oh, MrBishop, sir, kindly step this way

Kawaii

Those are some powerful arguments. I'm curious about what Bish has to say about this...

A.B.Normal

By using their " methodology" ,There were only 19 suicide hijackers ,so there is no need to screen passengers since hundreds of thousands of people landed safely on Sept.11.

Give me a break,those are lame ,transparent interpretations of information :rolleyes:

Camelyn

" 0.1% of all deaths for children between the ages 0-14 are from firearms"

Bass-ackwards.

Given X total number of violent deaths in children, only Y% is gun-related. The the stats are presented like this in order to give the illusion that the number is insignificant. When you tack on some actual numbers, such as for the year 2002:

- 3,012 children and teens were killed by gunfire
- 1,776 were murdered by gunfire
- 1,007 committed suicide with a firearm
- 193 died from an accidental shooting
- 1,762 were White
- 1,149 were Black
- 568 were Latino
- 433 were under age 15
- 129 were under age 10
- 59 were under age 5

I dare you to use the word "insignificant".

This is my personal fav.

"18-20 year olds commit over 23% of all gun murders. None of these criminals are allowed to purchase a handgun due to their age under current law"

Huh, imagine that. Guess it must be REAL easy to get your hands on a gun then, even if you aren't legally allowed to buy one.

Then follows a whole list (you will note they use *actual* numbers this time) of how many crimes are prevented by owning a gun. Interesting how they are able to absoultely prove an in-action. Here's one from me: I *always* carry my lucky rabbits foot, and I have never gotten hit by lightning, ergo my lucky rabbits foot has been succesful in preventing me from getting zapped.

"More to the point, crime is significantly higher in states without right -to -carry laws."

Not at all taking into accout population density, which is mainly concentrated on the east coast and in large cities, which also tend to have stricter gun laws. Um, can you say per capita, people?

"In Japan, the murder rate is about 1 per 100,000. In the U.S., there are about 3.2 murders per 100,000 each year by weapons other than firearms.
Therefore, if all of the firearms in the U.S. could magically be eliminated, we would still have three times the murder rate of Japan."

Umm, yeah, there's a positive....

MrBishop

I like this one personally...

290,809,777 - total population of USA Dec 31st, 2003

FACT: Of the 250,000,000 annual self-defense cases using guns, more than 7.7% are by women defending themselves against sexual abuse.
* U.S. Dept. of Justice, Law Enforcement Assistance Administration​

290 Million people in the USA, 250million cases of self-defence using guns ANNUALLY. Every year, close to every single man, woman and child in the USA uses a gun in self defence. Year in, and year out!

only 40 million don't have to use a gun in self-defence from the day they are born to the day that they die...if we assume that we're talking about kids too young to actually be able to pick up a handgun, (13 million births per year...let's say kids under age 2 can't pick up guns and actually pull the trigger...that's 26Million..leaves 14 million...close to 8 millions deaths per year..they're dead so that didn't claim self-defence...that leaves 6 million.

OK...

Only 1 out of every 48 people living in the USA don't have to use a gun in self-defence...YEARLY!

Wow...I guess that it's a good idea that you have guns. :)

Source

Inkara1

MrBishop said:
I like this one personally...

290,809,777 - total population of USA Dec 31st, 2003

290 Million people in the USA, 250million cases of self-defence using guns ANNUALLY. Every year, close to every single man, woman and child in the USA uses a gun in self defence. Year in, and year out!

only 40 million don't have to use a gun in self-defence from the day they are born to the day that they die...if we assume that we're talking about kids too young to actually be able to pick up a handgun, (13 million births per year...let's say kids under age 2 can't pick up guns and actually pull the trigger...that's 26Million..leaves 14 million...close to 8 millions deaths per year..they're dead so that didn't claim self-defence...that leaves 6 million.

OK...

Only 1 out of every 48 people living in the USA don't have to use a gun in self-defence...YEARLY!

Wow...I guess that it's a good idea that you have guns. :)

Source

I guess you missed the statistic immediately above the one you quoted on Gonz's page that pegged the number at 2,500,000. That means there's a typo somewhere. I'd venture to guess that the 2.5 million is a lot more accurate than the 250 million. Once every 13 seconds seems more right than 7.6 times per second. I think even Michael Moore would have to agree with me on that one.

Kawaii

Camelyn said:
- 3,012 children and teens were killed by gunfire
- 1,762 were White
- 1,149 were Black
- 568 were Latino
1762+1149+568=3479(Plus asians?)... :alienhuh:

MrBishop

Most of you don't know this but I have a B.A. in Sociology with a minor in Anthropology. The main part of Sociology, or of any social study is Statistics and it's use.

Once, while taking StatsIII, our teacher thought to teach us about the proper use of Stats and the rules associated with it, by making us break the rules.

Each group of 5 was given something to prove statistically.
Our group was asked to prove that babies are actually brought by storks.

We proved it without a shadow of a doubt. I wish that I still had that report in digital format because I'm sure that it would make for interesting reading (while being boring as hell at the same time).

Other groups proved that Santa Claus exists, that the Easter bunny is in fact Pink and lives in Vermont, that Elvis works for Walmart and is alive today etc etc... all preposterous statements, proved TRUE via the application of Statistics taken from strong sources like the census bureau.

It's VERY easy to make statistics dance. It's very easy for people who don't understand stats or math to believe anything that has "9 out of 10 times, with a +/- .02% variation" placed at the end of it. I believe that the original numbers (based on the source) placed in the web-site are fairly accurate, but taken out of context, they are useless numbers.

To make a point.

FACT: In 2003, the year where George W. Bush declared 'war' on Iraq and invaded, Canadians were so shocked and appaled by the War in Iraq that the rate of Mass-Murders went up 600% in British Columbia Alone!!! The number of mass-murders in the first month of 2004 has increased by over 60,000%

Truth: Some maniac who had been killing prostitutes and feeding them to his pigs in Port Coquitlam BC, was caught. He'd been killing for close to 10 years, but since he was only caught in 2003, all the deaths were attributed to the 2003 census report. In January 2004, another 40 victims' DNA was located and those 40 deaths have been attributed to 2004's numbers.

Are the numbers correct? Sure. Is there a link between one and the other? Probably not, but it makes for good newsprint fodder and it's statistically correct!!!

'nuff said?

MrBishop

Tit-for-tat Mr. Gonz

<LI>Every 10 seconds a gun is made in America.
That's 3,153,600 guns per year, of all types for those of you without a caclulator.
<LI>A recent Justice Department study shows Americans own 65 million handguns.
<LI>Handguns account for two-thirds of firearm crime and more than 80% of all firearm homicide. Each year, nearly a million violent crimes are committed with handguns.
<LI>On an average day, more than a million Americans are carrying guns outside their workplace. Two million more keep guns in their cars and trucks. If we use the figure of One Million violent handgun crimes a year (all types, including non-fatal, non-shooting), versus 3 million carrying incidents per DAY(!) then we have 1,095,000,000 or almost 1.1 BILLION carrying incidents per year!

<LI>In 1968, Congress banned the importation of cheap, poorly made handguns known as "Saturday Night Specials" or junk guns. No such regulations were applied to guns made at home. Since then, production and sales of American-made handguns have increased dramatically.
<LI>Close to 40,000 Americans die each year from gunfire. Nearly half of these deaths are homicides committed with cheap, easily obtainable, American-made handguns. In a recent year, handguns were used in nearly one million violent crimes.

Professur

Re: Tit-for-tat Mr. Gonz

MrBishop said:
<LI>Close to 40,000 Americans die each year from gunfire. Nearly half of these deaths are homicides committed with cheap, easily obtainable, American-made handguns. In a recent year, handguns were used in nearly one million violent crimes.

OK handguns used in 1 million violent crimes. But that's a useless stat without posting how many violent crimes didn't involve the used of a gun.

It's also a useless stat in that it doesn't in any way address wether those guns would have not been used due to any kind of restrictive legislation.

All in all, it's a useless stat.

MrBishop

Re: Tit-for-tat Mr. Gonz

Professur said:
OK handguns used in 1 million violent crimes. But that's a useless stat without posting how many violent crimes didn't involve the used of a gun.

It's also a useless stat in that it doesn't in any way address wether those guns would have not been used due to any kind of restrictive legislation.

All in all, it's a useless stat.

Oh, I couldn't agree more. Statistics without background information is faulty at best, but I like to play on an even field. These stats are as relevant as those posted by Gonz.

Frankly, I don't see how owning more guns reduces the use of guns (for crimes or not), nor can I see why reducing the amount of guns in the general populace is viewed as a negative thing. I've heard all the arguements from pro-gun people.

If you take guns away from law-abiding people, then only criminals will have guns.

Sure...that makes sence. Now...arrest everyone with a gun, for possesion of a firearm. Take their gun away from them, destroy it and put them in jail. Next!