On Obama, Guantanamo, and the rights of terrorists

So far...the only opposing ideas is effectivly to 'sweep them under the GitMo rug' - they don't exist, don't look at them - as long as we don't look at them, the problem doesn't exist.

The issue is that the problem does exist..and nobody but Obama is offering any way out of it.

Keeping them in GitMo until they all die of natural or unnatural causes is not a solution...but it is the one being implemented now, eh.

Yep. We should've executed them at capture, and saved ourselves from embarassment...

or..ya know..jailed them in Iraq and tried them for some sort of crime BEFORE taking them out of their country.

Yep. We should've executed them at capture, and saved ourselves from embarassment...

brilliant. that's exactly what saddam woulda done. we should, like totally embrace third world barbarism, dude. and we've really gone a good distance in that direction over the past 8 years.

cheerleader.jpg

GOOOOOOO TEAM DUMBSHIT!!!!!

And yet they shouldn't have been executed and we're not in some holy war with islam.

Wow look, we have smarts in the White House for a change.

The fact that we were held back by the left has emboldened them.

And the fact that this country elected a bowing fool who claims
we are not at war with Islam only makes the enemy laugh at us. :shrug:
You are not at war with Islam..hell, you're not even at 'war' with Iraq, or the "Taliban' or 'Al Quieda" - you seem to be at war with terrorism, but not really...war on drugs, but equally laughable.

Maybe if you could make up your minds, that'd be nice.

brilliant. that's exactly what saddam woulda done. we should, like totally embrace third world barbarism, dude. and we've really gone a good distance in that direction over the past 8 years.

cheerleader.jpg

GOOOOOOO TEAM DUMBSHIT!!!!!

Ahh. I see you didn't quite get it, did you? That knee jerking isn't causing you any discomfort yet? ;)

well why don't you fill me in on what there is to "get?"

That, in the kind of situation we're in, an undeclared war, and the kind of people we're dealing with, illegal combatants, we should let the military handle the prisoners. It has been done that way in every military action, and has lasted until the hostilities stopped. If the politicians wish to play 'games' with their support, and play 'games' with the prisoners, then we shouldn't have been involved in the first place.

Now that that's been said, I have a couple questions for you...

What does the Geneva Convention say about the treatment of illegal combatants?

Why do you think it's written that way?

i'm not sure what the geneva convention says about "illegal combatants" but i don't really care. it's being used as a moral loophole, and that's for donkeyshit. the history of the world is full of instances of combatants of uncertain status. the french resistance could have been called enemy combatants by the krauts. so what? it's very simple. our military should not be in the business of capturing and executing folks. it's barbaric and stupid, and puts us on the same moral level as those we're fighting.

i'm not sure what the geneva convention says about "illegal combatants" but i don't really care. it's being used as a moral loophole, and that's for donkeyshit. the history of the world is full of instances of combatants of uncertain status. the french resistance could have been called enemy combatants by the krauts. so what? it's very simple. our military should not be in the business of capturing and executing folks. it's barbaric and stupid, and puts us on the same moral level as those we're fighting.

Never said we should. Just that its one of the alternatives that will come up if we start treating them like citizens. Just wait and see a bit. Someone 'important' will bring it up if one of those Gitmo folks gets loose...

Oh...and the French resistance was made up of French citizens fighting in their own country. Anyone else caught was usually shot as a 'spy'.

Back