One-Third of World: Bad Toilets

Maybe CNN needs to enter 1/3 of the world & pass word from this 100 year old knowledge.

I figured at least a third of the world didn't have toilets at all. :shrug:

The most important part of that is the knowledge of why rather than the crappers themselves.

Is it really that hard of a concept to pass along?

River flows this way--->

Do these task from the direction of the flow in order:
Draw water for cooking and cleaning
walk 20 paces
Bathe
walk many paces
Pee and poo

...and make sure you aren't downriver from another community on the river.

Its not hard.

River flows this way--->

walk 20 paces
Bathe
walk many paces
Pee and poo

Its not hard.
It's the last bit that's the toughie...that and you need relatively fast moving water for contaminants not to spread.

I daresay, pick another river, build a town around a spring, or make some makeshift reservoirs... something... anything has got to help... even if it is nothing more than boiling all of the suspect water for all occasions. It may be a right PITA to keep that much water clean... but it sure beats the constant bouts of cholera and the like.

I wouldn't think that the water supply would need to be moving very fast to be clean. Its the stagnant stuff like lakes and bogs and communities every 300 feet along all rivers that make it foul beyond reckoning.

River flows this way--->

walk 20 paces
Bathe
walk many paces
Pee and poo

Its not hard.
Yes, evidently it is. I used to camp a lot, and you'd be amazed how many people who consider themselves educated don't have the most rudimentary understanding of sanitation or it's importance.

I can clearly see some self-aggrandizing charitable organization sending 5000 flush toilets to Bumfuck, Africa with nothing at all in the way of septic systems or sewage instruction, can't you?

Yes, evidently it is. I used to camp a lot, and you'd be amazed how many people who consider themselves educated don't have the most rudimentary understanding of sanitation or it's importance.

I can clearly see some self-aggrandizing charitable organization sending 5000 flush toilets to Bumfuck, Africa with nothing at all in the way of septic systems or sewage instruction, can't you?
A portable toilet will work for about 4 days... until it fills up. Then someone will get the grand idea to knock a hole in the tank with a pickaxe so it just spills right out onto the ground and water like it always did... now with the added bonus of everyone using the same seat to squat on. Can you say toilet seat heaptitis and lice transmission? I knew you could.

shit! hepatitis? Bollux ..that reminds me .. damn ...:grumpy:

er- where was i?

oh yeah - some of the public toilets here are a disgrace, frankly!

More than a third i'd say.

you'd be amazed how many people who consider themselves educated don't have the most rudimentary understanding of sanitation or it's importance.

Go hiking sometime with a forest rookie. 30 minutes and the green starts showing. It truly is amazing what some people will do.

Nearly one half of the world doesn't have running water. My standard answer to this is "It's not happening here, so who cares?". Heartless as that seems, our 'first-world meddling' in the affairs of third-world countries has produced more suffering and strife than their lack of sanitation...

Back