Oreos in the fridge? WTF?

Sharky

One of my co-workers says his ol' lady keeps their Oreos in the refrigerator. Does this strike anybody else as odd?

It took me months to break HoneyBunny of putting ketchup in the fridge. 1. It does not need refrigeration. 2. Putting cold ketchup on a burger makes the burger cold.

Same thing with margerine. It doesn't spoil - it's basically congealed vegetable oil. Keeping it in the fridge just makes it hard and impossible to spread.

And bread. Refrigerated bread smells funny and gets dried out. When it starts to get stale, use it for toast. Or keep it in the freezer and only thaw what you need at the moment.

*harumph*

ResearchMonkey

Quit it with fish in the fridge, clean it out and . . .:D

Ketchup/catsup :tomato: is OK for a bit, but then it begins to get little itty bitty bubbles in it, then its bad. Just pull it from the fridge when you fire the grill.

Dunno 'bout no oreos.

Sharky

Quit it with fish in the fridge, clean it out and . . .:D

Ketchup/catsup :tomato: is OK for a bit, but then it begins to get little itty bitty bubbles in it, then its bad. Just pull it from the fridge when you fire the grill.

Dunno 'bout no oreos.

Heh . . . fish goes in the beer fridge out in the canoe barn. And my kitchen fridge is spotless, thankyouverymuch. :D

As for ketchup, it's never around long enough to spoil - she buys the smallest bottles 'cause the only thing either of us likes ketchup on is burgers. I like my fries dry and she puts mayo on hers. :eek5:

But for the life of me I can't think of a valid reason to put Oreos in the fridge. :eh:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
If you leave margarine out then it separates...I've forgotten to put mine back a few times and it's NASTY!

Ketchup is good cold, I like that cold zing mixed with a hot burger

I find frozen bread is really no different than refrigerated bread...that said, I usually only use my bread for toast so I keep it in the fridge so as it doesn't go mouldy as quickly...the multigrain stuff I eat mustn't have many preservative because it goes mouldy really damn quick...whereas english muffin or bagels seem to beable to sit out for weeks without going mouldy :shrug:

I should add that I do NOT enjoy refrigerated bread if it is untoasted...

As for Oreos...maybe she just likes them cold. I usually put my chocolate bars in the fridge or freezer, depending on what kind it is. I never thought of refrigerating oreos but it definately sounds like it's worth a try.

unclehobart

There is some science-y stuff that says to never to store bread in the fridge. It has something to do with accelerating the breakdown of the gluten and giving it a dry texture twice as fast as just leaving it at room temp. The best thing for it is to use a ziploc baggie of some sort to prevent it from dehydrating.

unclehobart

Why Refrigerate Ketchup?
Q: Why does my ketchup bottle say to refrigerate after opening? When I was a child, we used to keep the ketchup in the cupboard.

Good question! And it's not only ketchup. The same thing applies to soya sauce and a bunch of other items.

There are four possible reasons for the change. The first, and most cynical, is perhaps because manufacturers don't like to be sued. Warning you to keep the ketchup in the fridge is one way to prevent such problems. If you were to get sick with something that can be traced back to the ketchup and you didn't refrigerate it, the problem is yours, not theirs.

A second reason is that the preparation of many foods has changed. Because of the availability of refrigeration, it is possible to keep foods longer with lower levels of the preservatives. Pickles can be made with less salt and vinegar, which makes them taste less harsh and gives a nicer texture, but the trade-off is that they don't keep as well. That's why some brands of pickles tell you to always keep them refrigerated, even before the first time they are opened.

Which leads us to the third reason - consumer awareness and health. Reducing levels of some of the chemicals typically used to keep foods, such as salt, improves their healthfulness. With increased consumer attention to salt, sulphates, nitrates and other preservatives, which can now be found listed on food labels, consumers are demanding more healthy products. Products change to meet these demands.

And finally, regulation. Through various regulations and agencies, the government is responsible for maintaining a safe food supply. This has brought about dramatic changes in the way foods are prepared and handled. The instructor of the meat-cutting class which I took opined on the first day that we are handling food with such care, and reducing so many risks, that we may be killing off our tolerance to the occasional stray bug. Certainly, the way foods are stored and displayed in many countries varies hugely from what we are used to in North America. At the same time, allowable levels of those same chemicals, mentioned above, used to preserve foods have been reduced, as we learn more about their impact on the body.

All of these changes suggest that keeping your ketchup in the fridge is the best option for food safety.

So, because of the changes, for your own health, and since KitchenSavvy also doesn't like to be sued any more than anyone else does, always follow label directions.

http://kitchensavvy.typepad.com/journal/2004/12/why_refrigerate.html

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I Like my ketchup, mustard, relish out of the fridge, also my butter, even if it is hard, and my chocolate has to come from the freezer

chcr

Too cute for words
Why does any one eat margarine? I've read a few studies that show the harmful side effects tend to outweigh the cholesterol gain. :shrug: Besides, I've never had one that didn't taste like shit compared to butter. If I have to replace butter to live then I'm going to die. Betcha a dollar I will anyway.

Re oreos in the fridge, I don't get that one either. The milk for dipping them in goes in the fridge.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
It hardens the icing making it easier to seperate the two halves so you can lick the center off the chocolate cookie goodness.

have fun unc

nalani

hehehe .. I put my oreos - and all cookies - in the fridge because it's so hot here that the cream melts and doesn't properly 'release' from the chocolate cookie *nods* ... and it keeps it fresher and no ants can find them in the fridge :D

I put ketchup in the fridge too .. always have .. not sure why though, come to think of it.

Butter is always in the fridge otherwise it's only fit to pour on popcorn at the end of the day :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If you can't spread your bread topping (butter/margarine/etc) without destroying the slice, it's too hard. Keep it covered on teh countrertop. Ketchup...don't eat it.
Oreos? dunno. Can't imagine a good reason.

JJR512

Perhaps unclehobart's quoted article, which mentions that some brands of pickles want to be refrigerated from the start, and the reasons therefore explain why I like Claussen pickles best. I've found them to be milder and not as harsh, exactly like the article mentions, and they are the only pickles I know of that are kept on a refrigerated shelf at the grocery store. All the other brands are on the regular (room temperature) shelf.

Sharky

*LOL @ Unc and P_V*

To keep 'em cold? :retard3:
Uhhhh huh. But why? :p

As for Oreos...maybe she just likes them cold. I usually put my chocolate bars in the fridge or freezer, depending on what kind it is. I never thought of refrigerating oreos but it definately sounds like it's worth a try.
Yes - an experiment is in order. I'm gonna buy some Oreos and put 'em in the fridge. Can't go wrong, eh?

Why does any one eat margarine? I've read a few studies that show the harmful side effects tend to outweigh the cholesterol gain. :shrug: Besides, I've never had one that didn't taste like shit compared to butter. If I have to replace butter to live then I'm going to die. Betcha a dollar I will anyway.

Re oreos in the fridge, I don't get that one either. The milk for dipping them in goes in the fridge.
"Country Crock" brand isn't bad. But yer right, for cooking and toast, you can't replace butter. I keep a stick in the fridge and the rest in the freezer.

hehehe .. I put my oreos - and all cookies - in the fridge because it's so hot here that the cream melts and doesn't properly 'release' from the chocolate cookie *nods* ... and it keeps it fresher and no ants can find them in the fridge :D

I put ketchup in the fridge too .. always have .. not sure why though, come to think of it.

Butter is always in the fridge otherwise it's only fit to pour on popcorn at the end of the day :D
Oooh, good idea about ant-proofing. Didn't think of that. And for some reason I crave popcorn right now. :cool:

Perhaps unclehobart's quoted article, which mentions that some brands of pickles want to be refrigerated from the start, and the reasons therefore explain why I like Claussen pickles best. I've found them to be milder and not as harsh, exactly like the article mentions, and they are the only pickles I know of that are kept on a refrigerated shelf at the grocery store. All the other brands are on the regular (room temperature) shelf.
Oh hell yes. Claussen pickles rock. Nice and garlicky. Crunchy, too, not soggy like the non-refrigerated ones. :licklips:

unclehobart

For me, it comes down to the basic principle of how long it takes you to go through a jar/bottle of whatever condiment you are using. Colder temps in a fridge retard the growth of harmful bacteria and whatnot. If you only take 2 weeks to go through a bottle of ketchup, then do with it as you please... just keep it out of the direct sun. You're asking for trouble keeping it in the direct sun.