Orkut, is anybody in?

AlladinSane

I've got an invitation to join and did so. I'm not sure if it is that a good thing. I wasn't able to find anyone from these online communities. Is it that good or a pain in the ass?

AlladinSane

I don't know if it's ok to post here, If it is not please delte the link or inform me:
www.orkut.com
It's supposed to be an on-line community where you get in by invitation. Some kind of "web of friends"

MrBishop

AlladinSane said:
I don't know if it's ok to post here, If it is not please delte the link or inform me:
http://www.orkut.com
It's supposed to be an on-line community where you get in by invitation. Some kind of "web of friends"

You mean...kind of like OTC, but far more anal about who they let in? What's the tie-that-binds? What do these people have in common? Is this based on a hobby, likes, etc?

Can you give us an example of some thread titles so we can guage if we want to bug you to join. THX.

AlladinSane

I didn't explore fully yet. They have like forums, chat and dating system among other petty things, all in a single system for what I could notice.... You can create your own sub-community about whatever you like. Also rate other members and give testimonial about them. I'm not sure if it's too much features to be really enjoyable.
I just thought of asking if it's so popular there like this guys tell me it's here...

BeardofPants

I don't know about this one, but I remember getting an invite to some 'prestigious' members by invite only board. Me, and a whole bunch of other people. Prestigious indeed. :rolleyes:

Stop Laughing

Shirt and tie are no problem for me, I wear that to work everyday. It sounds to me more like the invitation is a kind of membership drive for them. Telemarketers use lines like that all the time, I've 'won' so many vacations according to them I could retire on those vacations. :D

pc_builder

reminds me of sixdegrees.com

anyway, what i hate is this recent practice of companies calling with automated messages "This is not a sales call, but please stay on the line..." What am I on hold for? They called me! I hang up on those calls. If it's something important, they'll have a real person call me.

AlladinSane

MrBishop said:
You mean...kind of like OTC, but far more anal about who they let in? What's the tie-that-binds? What do these people have in common? Is this based on a hobby, likes, etc?

Can you give us an example of some thread titles so we can guage if we want to bug you to join. THX.

Been browsing for some time now. Member of 7 sub-communities, all in portuguese: two about 80's songs, one about The Cure, one about gaming, one of movies, one called 'I think I'll die'(in portuguese), and one that can be translated to something like: 'I'm always fucked up' (unlucky people). These last two are about the most funny things I've seen lately. Some topics:

Tomorrow I won't be here
Crossing the road
Jaw keeps making funny noises
What's the worst shit that happened to you?
Police who has been fucked up by them?
You wake up happy step out and...

All titles translated off course.
Didn't check the english ones by lack of time
Also they have an interesting mating system. You can sign people you have a crush in. They won't be aware you have a crush on them, except if they mark you too on their crush list. Then the system will alert you both about your mutual interest...