Our ambassadors of peace speak

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
What, oh what would we do without the level headed, just, kind & thoughtful peacemaking of Rev Jackson & the heiress to the elven throne (after Babs, of course) Ms Sarandon?

"This is going to be an ugly, unnecessary fight. Most of the world is saying 'no' to it," civil rights leader the Rev. Jesse Jackson (news - web sites) told the crowd at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington. "Pre-emptive, one-bullet diplomacy, we cannot resort to that."
In Washington, actress Susan Sarandon, who supports numerous liberal causes, accused Bush of having "hijacked our losses and our fears." Sarandon said terrorism could not be fought with violence and that most Americans did not want a conflict.

"Let us resist this war," Sarandon told the cheering crowd. "Let us hate war in all its forms, whether the weapon used is a missile or an airplane."

Rest of the silliness

B

Bubba

Actually, Jackson said something today that I agree with for a change. There is too much empasis on the war with Iraq and not enough on the economy.

Ardsgaine

Silly gits.

Notice how they keep going on about the numbers of casualties we will suffer? They said that about the Gulf War and Afghanistan too. :rolleyes:

HeXp£Øi±

There will be more casualties. This won't be desert storm. I think it would be a mistake to ever walk into a war expecting a breeze. That's when the trouble begins. I won't ever expect another desert storm. Saddam has learned a lesson. He'll be backed up into Bagdad this time. We won't be able to wipe out his forces as before without killing many civilians. This could be long and arduous process, of course that doesn't make it any less necessary.

Ardsgaine

HeXp£Øi± said:
There will be more casualties.

You state this as a fact. How do you know?

I think it would be a mistake to ever walk into a war expecting a breeze.

It would be a mistake for the pentagon planners to send soldiers over there without considering worst-case scenarios, etc, but they've shown that they have the ability to plan and execute operations with a minimal loss of human life. I don't think it's a mistake for me to say that, based on their past performance, they're going to mop up the desert with Saddam's troops.

Saddam has learned a lesson.

I doubt it.

He'll be backed up into Bagdad this time.

Then he'll be easy to find.

We won't be able to wipe out his forces as before without killing many civilians.

That's possible, but on the other hand it's really hard to fight while hiding under a burka. They can't hide and fight at the same time. Either they're going to go underground and fight a guerilla war, in which case they'll be giving us control of the city; or they're going to try to hold city, in which case they'll have to bunch up and present us with a target.

This could be long and arduous process

It could be, or it could be relatively easy as these things go. We don't know. Susan Sarandon and her compatriots don't know either. They're just trying to frighten people into opposing the war.

of course that doesn't make it any less necessary.

Absolutely! One hundred percent agreement there. Even if we knew that lots of people were going to die, that by itself wouldn't be an argument against fighting.

HeXp£Øi±

Let me put it this way, it would be an absolute miracle if we could pull off a desert storm again. I don't know anything for a fact but i do study military history and i know just how ridiculously lopsided desert storm was. Don't get me wrong, i totally support US action against Iraq, but i'm not so foolish to believe that we'll walk away unscathed just because we did once before. As far as Saddam learning a lesson, US officials are already expecting to take this into Bagdad because Saddam has already moved forces there. Bagdad is a major city. It's going to be ugly. They can hide and fight at the same time. Just like they did in Somolia. Which means many civilians die. Sure we can still get to them, but it's going to be ugly. I hope and prey that it goes smoothly, but my high hopes are restrained by strategic realities.

HeXp£Øi±

And by the way, please don't ever even think that i in any way even remotely relate to, or agree with Susan Sarandon.

Ardsgaine

HeXp£Øi± said:
And by the way, please don't ever even think that i in any way even remotely relate to, or agree with Susan Sarandon.

Naw, man. I wouldn't do that. I've just gotten tired of her and the rest of the liberals telling us that Iraq is going to be a bloodbath. They said it about the Gulf War and they were wrong, and they said it about Afghanistan and they were wrong. Doesn't the media ever notice just how often those people are wrong?

HeXp£Øi±

It doesn't bother me if they complain about it being a bloodbath. It's a bloodbath over there right now, if we don't go in it's going to continue to be a bloodbath and when we do go in it will be a bloodbath. It doesn't have to be just Americans dying for there to be a bloodbath. Iraqis are human being as well and a million of them have died since sanctions began eleven years ago. It's time to end the bloodbath. It will not end until Saddam is gone.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Ards, I could respect your opinion and willingness to sacrifice lives if I knew your ass would be one of those at risk. Are you going to be there or are you only so willing because its other people's lives?

Ardsgaine

Squiggy said:
Ards, I could respect your opinion and willingness to sacrifice lives if I knew your ass would be one of those at risk. Are you going to be there or are you only so willing because its other people's lives?

So the only people who have a right to say we should go to war are those in the military? You want the military making that decision? Since we currently have a civilian government in charge of that, perhaps we should let the military choose all our leaders too.

No? I didn't think so...

I don't have to be in the military to participate in this debate, sport. As far as my personal courage goes, I'm at least brave enough not to be intimidated by your rhetorical blathering. :rolleyes:

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Ardsgaine said:
So the only people who have a right to say we should go to war are those in the military? You want the military making that decision? Since we currently have a civilian government in charge of that, perhaps we should let the military choose all our leaders too.

No? I didn't think so...

As a matter of fact , if you really believe in it, you should be there. Thats a lame argument hiding a selfish motivation to have others die to make you more comfortable. I don't care for that idea.

I don't have to be in the military to participate in this debate, sport. As far as my personal courage goes, I'm at least brave enough not to be intimidated by your rhetorical blathering. :rolleyes:

And so, I have coined the phrse "Faux Patriot"

unclehobart

The right think that the left is a sheep herd. The left thinks that the right is a sheep herd. One side thinks that the other doesnt or will not think. Poking each other with a stick at the personal level serves no end.

Ardsgaine

unclehobart said:
The right think that the left is a sheep herd. The left thinks that the right is a sheep herd. One side thinks that the other doesnt or will not think. Poking each other with a stick at the personal level serves no end.

You're right. I'm just unwilling to be poked without poking back.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Ards, I can actually appreciate the "right wing" view on this subject. I do have a problem with those willing to let others die for "their" beliefs and not willing to do it themselves. If you believe in what you are saying, you would be willing to die yourself for that cause. You can't expect anyone to ask less of you if you're going to climb under the "Team America" blanket and call yourself one of us. That aside, I can respect those who support theirbeliefs, in thought and action, even if I don't agree.