Out-of-state driving question

Jeslek

Banned
OK, say I'm driving in Nebraska. The speed limit on the interstate is 75 miles per hour. There I go, doing 85, and the cops pull me over. What happens if I present my Ontario driver's license? Do I get fined and pay the fine on the spot? Or do they take you in? Does it go on my record here in Ontario or do they create a new one just for me?

Any info would be appreciated. :)

Janimal

Depends on the state. I think some states have the option of taking you in if you are a certain amount above the posted speed limit. Most will just give you a ticket and let you pay it by mail. It probably won't go on your ticket in Ontario unless the state has a reciprocal reporting arrangement.

Jeslek

Banned
Professur said:
Y'know, if you did the limit instead of speeding, it wouldn't matter.
I never do the speed limit, and I do use a police radar when I'm not in Ontario. Florida has a speed limit of 55. I just don't go that slow. It frustrates me and makes me a worse driver IMHO.

Cleveland

In North Carolina, if you are going over 15 miles beyond the posted, you May be hauled in at the officer's option..... However, I do know that they were not reciprocal to Ohio 10yrs ago.... IE: if you had an Ohio license, tickets in NC wouldnt show up for you....

This however varries greatly from state to state...

Janimal

BZZZT!!! Wrong answer, please play again.

Florida does not have a set 55mph speed limit. Not since the feds recinded the law. Depends are where you are. The interstates are mostlly 65 or 70. (OK, so that's still not enough for some people, but there ya go)

Jeslek

Banned
Well I'm always polite, nice, and honest to officers. It goes a long way. I just don't want to sit in jail for 24 hours just because some officer got cranky and I just so happened to be doing 72 in his 65 zone.

I'm also not keen for stuff like that to show up on my Ontario record... The insurance companies are nosy enough. I don't like this thing that the government knows so much about me at all.

Jeslek

Banned
Janimal said:
BZZZT!!! Wrong answer, please play again.

Florida does not have a set 55mph speed limit. Not since the feds recinded the law. Depends are where you are. The interstates are mostlly 65 or 70. (OK, so that's still not enough for some people, but there ya go)
Ooops, sorry about that. Got it confused with Hawaii. Florida is 70 on the interstate... Hawaii is 55. I just usually associate Florida with anything silly. (yeah I know I shouldn't do that :p)

Professur

LastLegionary said:
I just don't go that slow. It frustrates me and makes me a worse driver IMHO.

Then you probably shouldn't have a license. You know that the speed limit is a law, not a suggestion ('cept in Montana).

Jeslek

Banned
Professur said:
LastLegionary said:
I just don't go that slow. It frustrates me and makes me a worse driver IMHO.

Then you probably shouldn't have a license. You know that the speed limit is a law, not a suggestion ('cept in Montana).
Then I probably shouldn't have a license. And please remember the next time you fail to make a full, honest-to-God, three-second stop that you shouldn't have a license either. :rolleyes:

Gaunt

I've passed on the shoulder of a country road with only space enough for 1.5 cars (seriously) while going 90mph. Yoink!

Professur

LastLegionary said:
Then I probably shouldn't have a license. And please remember the next time you fail to make a full, honest-to-God, three-second stop that you shouldn't have a license either. :rolleyes:

I need my licence as part of my job. I make full stops. But don't be an ass and confuse that with speeding. Have you ever blown out a tire at speed? Didn't think so. There's a helluva difference in losing a tire at 55 and at 75. At 55 you've a chance. At 75, you're already dead.

You don't get flats, you say? You look after your car? How about the guy in front of you? The speed limits are set in accordance with the road, visibility, and driver reaction times. Maybe you're a soooo much better driver than everyone else. After all, you've had, what, two whole years of driving experience?:rolleyes:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Listen to Prof.

To answer your question, since it's a Canadian license, you'll probably have to post bail (an amount equivalent to the fine plus court costs surprisingly). If it were a license from the states, you may have to do the same thing or they'd allow a mail in fine. Same state, no problem. It varies from state to state. Under most circumstances, outta state drivers get to pay first & fight later.

Jeslek

Banned
Gonz said:
Listen to Prof.
Nah, you bragged you did 97 mph in a TRUCK... Me doing 75, the legal speed limit in a lot of stats, in a small car shouldn't worry you.

To answer your question, since it's a Canadian license, you'll probably have to post bail (an amount equivalent to the fine plus court costs surprisingly). If it were a license from the states, you may have to do the same thing or they'd allow a mail in fine. Same state, no problem. It varies from state to state. Under most circumstances, outta state drivers get to pay first & fight later.
Its unlikely I will get caught since I don't make a habit of breaking the law... I just want to be prepared SHOULD something happen. I like to know what I can expect etc.

Thanks for the info.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
speedy said:
Nah, you bragged you did 97 mph in a TRUCK... Me doing 75, the legal speed limit in a lot of stats, in a small car shouldn't worry you.

I've been driving over 25 years, over 15 professionally.

Jeslek

Banned
True, and I admit to only 3 years, but it is the posted speed limit, and if some state says 65 I will probably still do 70 or so. I am a very careful driver though, and I don't take risks. Nor do I tailgate.