People aren't buying the newest processors.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
I wondered when this would happen, and I think this will continue. People are not going to spend money on super-fast computers, unless they're for gaming. I'm just wondering how bad a hit AMD and Intel are going to take in the next year.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/09/16/cheap.chips.ap/index.html

ris

been coming a while that - saturation of the market. i can see digi camera being big this christmas though and that might push comp sales a bit.
mobile phones are in the same position as well, people aren't fussed with 3g phones and image messaging when low-cost calls and texting is all they need :)

unclehobart

I probably ought to swap out the daul 1.2s I have on this machine and slap in some 1.73s. Instant gig ... and only 200-225 bucks.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
Heh unc, would it be possible to take a pic of your mobo with cpu's?
I'm really eager to see how that looks! :)

unclehobart

I'll give it a whirl. I have an external roadrunner fan set that gets in the way... but keeps the cpus nice and chilly.

unclehobart

you get the idea

Attachment(s):

soverydirty.jpg, 121.42kb

11_1032469386.jpg

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
i'm sure that's a live! soundcard.

the video card seems to be nvidia based.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
1.4 @1566...why upgrade? Improve the other crap, we're, temporarily, fast enough.

I read last night that AMD has dropped to 8% of the marketshare. It seems that marketing works.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I have a Celeron 400 but will GLADY acceot donations of "slow" computers from you guys if you call 1.2ghz "slow"

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
Nixy said:
I have a Celeron 400 but will GLADY acceot donations of "slow" computers from you guys if you call 1.2ghz "slow"

Hehe, al I've may have to offer in the near future is my 1.2 GHz AMD processor...but that won't be much use when you're having a celly now :)

Psycho

I'm running an Intel 1.8 because it was the best in it's price class at that time, I needed a new computer (P133 before this) and I like Intel, so don't give me the 'AMD is cheaper and better' story again ;), but I'm not really a gamer. When I'm running 3DSMax or one of the newer games the difference is noticable, but 99% of the time I don't notice anything compared to Sf's 1.2 Ghz, so I probably won't upgrade for a looooong time either...

...I do want that digital camera though :)

HomeLAN

Luis G said:
i'm sure that's a live! soundcard.

the video card seems to be nvidia based.

It's a Live! soundcard.

The video card is a Matrox G400. That's the one Unc wants to replace post haste.

Psycho said:
so don't give me the 'AMD is cheaper and better' story again ;)

But i'll still give you the 'my slowest AMD (1Ghz) can prolly give your 1.8Ghz a run for its money, and my fastest (1.91Ghz) will blow it to bits story :)'

:p