People that use language above the level of the receiver.

Hmmmm...

I read the dictionary when I was ten... it was a long summer and I'd ran out of books and the library was closed for redecoration.

Since then... I have found that people often commented on the extent of my vocabulary/lexicon. One friend says that I "sound like summit out of a Dickensian novel!" Coupled with my University education where, as said previously, I communicated with the extremely well read I'm known to be verbose by the standards of some!

My BF has often sheepishly confided that he sometimes utilises the dictionary to interpret my text messages! But i don't see that as MY failing... or HIS!

I think its your boss Staf who has the problem... in a world where looks and money are increasing valued more highly than intelligence and experience... those who still use our little grey cells should be applauded!

Buy her a dictionary!!!!

Inkara1 said:
I try to use the word that best describes the subject in the lowest number of letters and syllables. If someone has to use a dictionary to look that word up... well, as our Russian friends would say, "tufshitski."
Yes, exactly. As it should be.

Oddly enough, I often find myself unconsciously dumbing down my vocab for the sake of getting what I meant to say across (drives MrsBish nuts). That's the whole point of conversation and language. If what I meant to say isn't what you understood, then the whole conversation is moot. The problem with using your whole lexicon is that some people only 'assume' that they understand the word you just used...or they have an idea of what it means. That's just not good enough, especially in a business environment...too much room for misinterpretation.

Straff...your co-worker hasn't learned that its not a good idea to make your boss look stupid, or even attempt to do so.

BTW.... flagelum??!? Who the hell uses flagelum in common conversations? Cripes!! I have gained the majority of my lexicon from reading books, and I have never run across such a word before.

MrBishop said:
Oddly enough, I often find myself unconsciously dumbing down my vocab for the sake of getting what I meant to say across (drives MrsBish nuts). That's the whole point of conversation and language. If what I meant to say isn't what you understood, then the whole conversation is moot. The problem with using your whole lexicon is that some people only 'assume' that they understand the word you just used...or they have an idea of what it means. That's just not good enough, especially in a business environment...too much room for misinterpretation.

In business, that's true, assuming you know your audience. Outside of that area, it might be a good idea to try and help expand the vocabulary of your target. Your kids, in particular, aren't going to benefit much if you limit yourself to small, simple words.

Straff...your co-worker hasn't learned that its not a good idea to make your boss look stupid, or even attempt to do so.

His coworker probably isn't going to be there long enough for it to matter. If I was stuck in an environment that actively encouraged that type of ignorance, I'd be doing my best to get out before it made me homicidal.

BTW.... flagelum??!? Who the hell uses flagelum in common conversations? Cripes!! I have gained the majority of my lexicon from reading books, and I have never run across such a word before.

I've read it before, and looked it up. Besides, who draws that line defining what's normal for conversation and what isn't? Some folks have never run across words like lexicon.

HomeLAN said:
In business, that's true, assuming you know your audience. Outside of that area, it might be a good idea to try and help expand the vocabulary of your target. Your kids, in particular, aren't going to benefit much if you limit yourself to small, simple words.

We don't even use baby-talk with my son with the exception of ca-ca and pee-pee, which he prefers to use and works well enough for us :)

I'm lucky in that a lot of my friends understand what I'm trying to say despite my vocab. and which level its at from one day to the next. Some of my co-workers aren't as lucky :D

HomeLAN said:
His coworker probably isn't going to be there long enough for it to matter. If I was stuck in an environment that actively encouraged that type of ignorance, I'd be doing my best to get out before it made me homicidal.
There's a vast difference between using advanced vocabulary to make your point or describe a situation and delving deeply into your lexicon for an obscure word with your goal being 'showing off' or 'denigrating others'. I won't avoid using 'facetious' when I could've said 'witty', nor will I avoid using 'tenacious' when talking about someone who stubornly holds on to his opinion.

HomeLAN said:
I've read it before, and looked it up. Besides, who draws that line defining what's normal for conversation and what isn't? Some folks have never run across words like lexicon.

Granted... and I have to look up words on occasion when I can't break it down using latin. But when someone uses a word in a conversation which makes everyone do a face like this ( :alienhuh: ) ... you've gone outside of 'normal conversation'. :D

I refuse to act stupid for the benefit of others. I find supidity and ignorance irritating, and generally don't deal with it well. Regularly limiting your own intelligence to accomodate someone else's ignorance quickly becomes a habit, and it's one you do NOT want. I'd much rather prod my fellow human to increase his or her knowledge base. That way, we both gain.

If the other person can't handle that and stops associating with me, I really haven't lost much.

Bish said:
BTW.... flagelum??!? Who the hell uses flagelum in common conversations?

Given the right circumstances....

I write in a far more precise manner than I speak. In speech one can take the time to expound the idea, in writing it had damned well better be concise or everyone thinks you're nuts ;)

Gonz said:
Given the right circumstances....

I write in a far more precise manner than I speak. In speech one can take the time to expound the idea, in writing it had damned well better be concise or everyone thinks you're nuts ;)

but we already think you're......

I mean I use bigger words when speaking, moslty because my spelling is horrible to begin with (and in school it was excellent, just that damn spell checks on computers spoiled me) But I never dumb it down for anyone, though I would hesitate to use words like flagelum.

My favorite long word that I never get to use in any circumstances is defenestration.

chcr said:
My favorite long word that I never get to use in any circumstances is defenestration.

I have used it, in the past tense, when asked what happened to.........

uhmm I mean what does that mean?

(shards of glass glinting in the moonlight as he found out there was a faster way down than the express elevator of the 13th floor)

MrBishop said:

I have. :)

chcr said:

Great word. I actually knew that one.

Sahme on you, Paul. I originally looked that one up after seeing it in Eddings' Tamuli series. Remember, it's a favorite method of disposal for inconvenient Tamul emperors.

Gonz said:
*Right click...highlight..."Collegiate Dictionary"...aha*

That's a good word :D

Yeah, I had to look it up as well. It's a great word. :grinyes:

*BoP resolves to use it at first opportunity... the WORD, not the act!* ;)

*Gonz resolves to use the word to descibe the acted being perpetrated given the chance*

*Ring Ring
*Police Dept, Officer Johnson speaking.
*Yeah, someone has just be defenestrated over on Oak and 12th.
*Just a sec, let me transfer you to sex crimes....

HomeLAN said:

Sahme on you, Paul. I originally looked that one up after seeing it in Eddings' Tamuli series. Remember, it's a favorite method of disposal for inconvenient Tamul emperors.

LOL, I knew it before eddings, I was reading on some mob stuff, and they explained it, hence shards of glass....

HomeLAN said:

You learned it the same place I did. :D Who knew there was actually a word for it?

P.S. anyone ever read anything by William F. Buckley? I always keep a dictionary nearby for his books. They're usually kind of boring though.

HomeLAN said:
I refuse to act stupid for the benefit of others. I find supidity and ignorance irritating, and generally don't deal with it well. Regularly limiting your own intelligence to accomodate someone else's ignorance quickly becomes a habit, and it's one you do NOT want. I'd much rather prod my fellow human to increase his or her knowledge base. That way, we both gain.

If the other person can't handle that and stops associating with me, I really haven't lost much.

:lurk:

Back