PHP coders unite

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I figured this was as good a place as any to ask, so are there any PHP coders out there that would like to write a PHP/MySQL website system (content, links, board, etc) with me?

Yeah, I know, kinda out of the blue, but it's an idea I've been toying around with for a while, just don't have the resources to pull it off myself.

I just started trying to lewarn PHP lately. It's surprisingly like a proprietary language we used at my last job.

Any good sites/tutorials that you liked Fury?

i tried learning php but like all my other coding ambitions i lost my interest in about an afternoon.

I'd say time is my problem with it.
I haven't even updated my html website since 8-11-02.:disgust2:

I'm learning PHP and MySQL from a book by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson titled "PHP and MySQL Web Development".

fury said:
I'm learning PHP and MySQL from a book by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson titled "PHP and MySQL Web Development".

Sounds interesting, but until I can get the rest of the hardware for my upgrade I can't use MySQL. :(

But I'll make a note of the book - is it relatively easy to follow?

You don't really need beefy hardware to run MySQL itself. Some people are doing their PHP and MySQL development/testing on Pentium 100-133 type stuff to simulate about how much processor time they'd get on a webserver. The main reason you'd need beefy hardware is to run an active website (e.g. OTC) on it.

The book appears to be aimed at intermediate users with at some light programming experience, but I believe it can still be of good use to a beginner if they're willing to drink the massive amounts of coffee required to get the brain going good enough. At least they've got a sense of humor. e.g. "If for instance we have a class car and a class bicycle, both can have different move operations. For real-world objects, this would rarely be a problem. Bicycles are not likely to get confused and start using a car's move operation instead."

That'd be interesting to say the least. Step on your bicycle and start to move the pedal and hear "VROOOOOOMMMMM....sputtersputter...VROOMVROOOOOOOMMMMM" :beerbang:

It's not the hardware as such, although I do want another bigger hard-drive... it's the OS. I want the hard-drive to dual or triple boot and install Linux for the MySQL database. I need to learn how to use MySQL.

I'm halfway through upgrading to the new system (I still need the case, processor, hs and fans) but I can't go ahead and complete it until all the financial crap with my niece is sorted out.

I write my own html, css, some javascript, visual basic specifically for database (access) and some sql - at the moment. Though of course I use text editors to lighten the load a little with the uncompiled languages - primarily AceHTML Pro 4, Dreamweaver 4 and TopStyle Pro 2.51. Plus a number of other programs. :)

Ah, OK. Yeah, you probably shouldn't run webserver type stuff on a 9x-based OS, it's best to get a non-Windows operating system like Linux or FreeBSD (I hear it's much faster and more stable for server operation)

I ran MySQL on 98, and on 2000 with no problem, except for
hackers. If you don't put it on line, you wouldn't have to worry about that.;)

I tried to install it on ME a while back but it wouldn't play ball. :(

I may dual boot with 2000 and linux redhat on the new comp and see how that goes.

Back