Planning on visiting the United States?

:crap: Eish, bad news for us SAfricans then :(

All that effort to get a visa, just to visit Disney Land or something, hardly seems worth visiting the 'Land of the Free'. It takes like six months to get a visa!!!

Indeed. As a yank, I think the only places that I had rather visa free access to was Canada and Mexico... but even those days are changing.

... and Jewish Israeli nationals. Continue with the screening of Arabs though.

Aunty Em said:
As far as I know we've always needed a visa from the UK.
I don't think so. All you require is indentification and a valid passport.

Canadians that travel by car should have three pieces of identification with a photo (ie birth certificate, driver's license, and student ID), or a passport.

Jerrek said:
Aunty Em said:
As far as I know we've always needed a visa from the UK.
I don't think so. All you require is indentification and a valid passport.

If you plan to stay on business or vacation for less than 90 days. If you plan on staying longer you need a visa.

Ah yes, thats right. It is really fascinating how some countries limit your stay. For example, when I enter the United States I can stay there for as long as I want. When I entered Singapore, (no visa required) they limited me to two weeks. Malaysia limited me to 1 month first, and then 2 months after that (I've been there 9 times). Switzerland had no limit, Netherlands had a one day limit without a visa, Germany, Italy, and France required visas, and Israel had a limit of 90 days I think.

We are asked for it anyway, and it seems that it is harder for us to get it, so it gives the same.

Jerrek said:
... and Jewish Israeli nationals. Continue with the screening of Arabs though.

three pieces of identification with a photo (ie birth certificate, driver's license, and student ID), or a passport.

Your Birth certificate has a Photo? and really what good is a baby pic for ID purposes:D j/k

well it makes sense damnit, we americans should be able to go wherever we please but we need to keep the rif-raf outta the states. we're the only people on this who matter anyways...

in case you didn't assume so, that was a total load of crap ;)

So what kind of guidlines does Canada have? What's to stop someone from going to Canada, then get free access to the states?

Puter, you can enter Canada, but once you try to cross into the United States they will still require you to present your ID and passport. If you are Canadian (ie birth certificate), you do not require a passport. If you are not, say a British national, then you will be required to present your passport and visa.

Hmm. I went to Canada a few years back, and it seemed a pretty informal check at the border.

It is :) But you still presented them with some kind of ID? And when they see something other than Canadian or American they *should* technically be more strict but sometimes they are not.

If I remember right, I had to show them my Driver's license, just show them, they didn't take it to look at it. In fact a cursory glance is about all they gave it. Of course this was about 10 years ago, they may be a little stricter now.

Back