plant pics

tonksy

first for greenie - the furthermost coleus that once was a plant clipping of hers given to rob and a new friend for it.

the second was sitting on a rack at the home depot with no tag and was unidentifable by the staff. anyone recognize it?

Wow. It has almost no purple left in it! This was the original plant:

giant2.jpg

That happened to me too, I kept taking cutting after cutting and eventually I guess it loses it's pigment. I was growing mine as a tree, it's the one on the far right of this picture:

collection.jpg

Your little friend looks like the one in the middle of my above picture named "Copper Glow"

I have no idea what your other plant is. Almost looks like blue roses, although there is no such thing as a blue rose. There are no blue orchids either. Just like their are no black tulips.

Rob never wanted to prune that coleus. Are you going to keep them under control?? :)

yes, i secretly nipped at some new growth today! i'll let the red get a little bit bigger before i start on it.
the unknown flower is not a rose. smooth soft stems and it looks like only 4 petals.

yes! leslie! yay! thank you, thank you!
*hands leslie a cookie and a gold star

luis, how lovely!

They're pretty. I've looked at them lots and lots.

I read as I was finding a good picture that florists are using them in bouquets now as cheaper wannabe roses.

I have the opposite of a green thumb, whatever that may be. I wanted to try a small indoor herb garden, but I dunno. I've been trying to read up on it a bit, but maybe I will start with one simple house plant and make sure it doesn't die first. And make sure Erik isn't allergic to it.

PrincessLissa said:
I have the opposite of a green thumb, whatever that may be. I wanted to try a small indoor herb garden, but I dunno. I've been trying to read up on it a bit, but maybe I will start with one simple house plant and make sure it doesn't die first. And make sure Erik isn't allergic to it.
the most important thing about indoor plants is light. research each individual plant and see what it's light requirements are. OH! and humidity levels. i about killed a boston fern this winter due to the dryness in the air.
lissa? most herbs like alot of sun so unless you have a very sunny window i would recommend planting herbs in pots on the front stoop.
inky? what does the pothos look like? is it dry and crunchy or very soft? i would hazard a guess that it isn't getting enough indirect light...either that or it is getting too much direct sunlight. it likes a drench and dry method of watering...say 2 times a week. is it pot bound? have you ever repotted it? what the humidity like in your place?

tonksy said:
inky? what does the pothos look like? is it dry and crunchy or very soft? i would hazard a guess that it isn't getting enough indirect light...either that or it is getting too much direct sunlight. it likes a drench and dry method of watering...say 2 times a week. is it pot bound? have you ever repotted it? what the humidity like in your place?
Enclosed is a pic. The A/C shouldn't be an issue because it was winter when I bought the plant so the A/C has only been used once since I got the plant. It's 49% humidity on the other side of the same room, where my meter is. The green leaves feel healthy, but I've had probably 10-15 leaves turn yellow and then dry out in the past few weeks or so. That little light you see on the ceiling is one of three I turn on at night to provide some lighting over the couch.

tonksy said:
lissa most herbs like alot of sun so unless you have a very sunny window i would recommend planting herbs in pots on the front stoop.

We have a few really sunny windows. They get more sun than our porch does :) I am still looking into it, but I think it would be fun to try if I don't kill them.

I've started a pineapple. The green, leafy top was twisted off, and placed in a large jar of water. I hope it gets roots soon, and I also hope my future wife doesn't kill this one. :lloyd:

PrincessLissa said:
We have a few really sunny windows. They get more sun than our porch does :) I am still looking into it, but I think it would be fun to try if I don't kill them.
i wish i had more sunny windows, you should take advantage of them! those chia people make a little herb garden. you could start out with one of those. they're really kinda affordable. remember that if you are successful with growing them that they will need to be repotted when they grow.....
which is exactly inky's problem!
repot that sucker!!

I did when I bought it. The pot wasn't much bigger than what it came in though. I also sometimes wonder if I should have cut the roots before I put it in the new pot.

It has sprouted the occasional new leaf, but it's lost more than it's gained.

Back