Pope: Migrants Should Heed Host's Values

highwayman

Wise words that need to be heeded...

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...94910.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines
VATICAN CITY -- Pope Benedict XVI urged immigrants on Sunday to respect the social values of their new countries and said laws are needed to protect their dignity.

Benedict, addressing pilgrims and tourists in St. Peter's Square, said migration should be seen as a resource, not a problem. Without naming any country or nationality, he lamented the "painful" conditions refugees, exiles, the homeless and the persecuted often endure.

unclehobart

Laws are needed to protect their dignity?

feh

Dignity comes from within. If someone has to legislate your dignity, then you never had any.

Gotholic

Laws are needed to protect their dignity?

feh

Dignity comes from within. If someone has to legislate your dignity, then you never had any.

In this day and age, laws are needed. They shouldn't be, but they are.

Like marriage, no one ever thought, "Hey! there is no law stating that marriage is between a man and a woman! We better make sure there are no loop holes". Now we need to define marriage as between one man and one woman. When really it should be common sense.

You probably don't agree with me, but that is just my take on the matter.

tonksy

In this day and age, laws are needed. They shouldn't be, but they are.

Like marriage, no one ever thought, "Hey! there is no law stating that marriage is between a man and a woman! We better make sure there are no loop holes". Now we need to define marriage as between one man and one woman. When really it should be common sense.

*He says, chumming the waters.

spike

I don't think he's actually proposing legislating feelings. Probably just poor wording on the part of the Pope.

Gotholic

It's really quite clear that "common sense" is a myth. If it were common there would be more of it.

Common sense is real, but it is deteriorating.

Re: Dignity is the wrong choice of word.

dig·ni·ty
–noun, plural -ties.

1. bearing, conduct, or speech indicative of self-respect or appreciation of the formality or gravity of an occasion or situation.
2. nobility or elevation of character; worthiness: dignity of sentiments.
3. elevated rank, office, station, etc.
4. relative standing; rank.
5. a sign or token of respect: an impertinent question unworthy of the dignity of an answer.
6. Archaic.
a. person of high rank or title.
b. such persons collectively.

I think "dignity" wasn't so bad of a choice.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Common sense is alive & well. Unfortunately, it's buried deep under a pile of MEMEMEMEMEMEME.

chcr

Too cute for words
Common sense is real, but it is deteriorating.

I'm only 50 but there hasn't been any in my lifetime. I've read a lot of history as well and it seems that throughout history sense has been "uncommon" rather than the reverse. It's an oxymoron (IMO, of course).

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I'm only 50 but there hasn't been any in my lifetime. I've read a lot of history as well and it seems that throughout history sense has been "uncommon" rather than the reverse. It's an oxymoron (IMO, of course).

Biteyourtongue. I think I've displayed some. *handonhip

chcr

Too cute for words
Biteyourtongue. I think I've displayed some. *handonhip

Sure you have, Gato. That doesn't make it significantly less "uncommon." Point is that calling it "common" sense implies a level of sense that is clearly not supported by the facts. ;)