Post-Easter pets

MrBishop

Easter...the best time of the year to buy baby rabbits and chicks who will either die from malnutrition, mistreatment or will merely be given back to the farmers who sold them in the first place to the parents of LOUD children with big demands.

I mention this because this weekend, my son was playing with the girl who lives out back and she brought out her 'pet' chicken. Yes, they do grow fast don't they?

Her father bought her the chick. He also bought a wire cage (too small now), some food and gets to feed it (since she gave up feeding it after about day). He will soon have to explain a) what's about to happen to said chicken. & b) that a baby chick is indeed the same thing as a chicken...like the one she eats.

Have you ever bought a chick or rabbit for your kid? A pet for Christmas? and had it come back to bite you in the butt.

My cousins one year got rabbits for Easter. They were instructed before hand how much work they would be though. One of the rabbits died after ayear or so (he got sick) and the other is still alive. My cousin is ALL about her rabbit. He hangs out in her room with her, she takes really good care of him. I don't think there's a problem with giving pets for holidays providing that all of the discussion and instruction that should occur before any pet is bought occurs before the holiday. Buying a pet for a holiday just cause you can't tell you kid "No" however is BS. It shows weak parents and unfortunately the animal usually suffers :(

I've never asked Christina about it, but I'm sure she gets pissed off at people doing that to rabbits. She's spent the past decade raising mini lops.

This little girl just turned 3... no f'n way that she gets it about the importance of feed and care of small animals.

I have had rabbits as pets and as dinner. They are, however, of different varieties.
I love having them as pets, I had an outdoor hutch. I couldn't do that here as the winters are too cold and I do not want them as inside pets.
I love roasted rabbit drowned in cajun spice and cooked with carrots. Rob is not a fan so I always had it on poker nights when he was away....although I still make it regularly on poker nights even though the game is at our place more often than not. It's become a personal tradition, I guess.

I'll have a breast

hahaha one day I said "Man I wish my breasts would thaw out" (I was making chicken breasts for dinner) and my roommate was like "Buh??" it was hilarious!

We have some nice Treadaway boys that have a cajun meat market here. They make a passable boudin but the chickens, turkeys, and rabbits are terrific!

Back