Printer?

Mare

Ok, this may be a dumb question......but since I really don't know, its not for me... :blush:

I have a compaq presario computer, I don't have a printer-used to-a compaq one...I want a printer though, Office depot has a compaq but its expensive, walmart here doesnt carry compaq ones...I just want a cheap printer-I know you can get them cheap. So, my question is.........Will any printer be compatible with my computer?

Pretty much any printer in your price range would be, yes. Plus it into your computer's USB port and have the printer's software CD ready, and you should be good to go.

Avoid Lexmark. Their printers are cheap, but the replacement ink cartridges are about the most expensive in the industry. My HP Deskjet 3650 has turned out to be an excellent choice.

I posted this in a reply to a PM, but I figured it's good advice for anyone, so I'll re-post it here.

Inkara1 said:
Yeah, the printer comes in the box with the CD and starter ink. The USB cable is usually not included, though, so you'll need one of those (expect to pay $25-$35 for the cable).

As for brands, Epson, HP, Brother, Canon, etc. are all well-known brands. The Epson I used to have wasn't my favorite, but quite a few people swear by them.

Your best bet is to look at a few printers you like, then find out which ink cartridges they take. Then go to the replacement ink area and see what new ink costs. That extra step can save you $5 or $10 per cartridge.

The USB cable is usually not included, though, so you'll need one of those (expect to pay $25-$35 for the cable).

What is this? :confused:

Woah!! Before you go telling her to buy a USB printer, don't you think you'd better make sure of her OS? NT and 95 won't take USB. Then there's USB 1.1 and 2.0 to consider. Limited USB cable lengths.

Professur said:
Woah!! Before you go telling her to buy a USB printer, don't you think you'd better make sure of her OS? NT and 95 won't take USB. Then there's USB 1.1 and 2.0 to consider. Limited USB cable lengths.

I REALLY need to take a computer class guys-don't I...... :confused: :D

Mare said:
I REALLY need to take a computer class guys-don't I...... :confused: :D

Nope ,we geeks love nothing more than helping others spend $$$ on techy stuff.

Whats the model of your Presario and are you using the same Operating system (Win98/Win95/WinXP)that came installed?

A.B.Normal said:
Nope ,we geeks love nothing more than helping others spend $$$ on techy stuff.

Whats the model of your Presario and are you using the same Operating system (Win98/Win95/WinXP)that came installed?

Compaq Presario 5834....windows 98

Oh, BTW, another dumb question??? This has been happening for 2 days now. When I sign onto internet a error message comes up, something about MODEM....so, i troubleshooted and this is what i have to do to sign on now!

start,settings,CP,system....then see conexiant(spelling?) theres an (!), so i click on that and then click manual settings....OK......Problem fixed...BUT, its happening eveytime NOW, and its frustrating, what the hell is wrong here guys???? :confused: :lloyd:
And I don't want to have to pay some technology company freakin 45-50 bucks for something their gonna give me 50 million ppl in a 4 hr session and then have to pay a year for, ya know....

Mare said:
Compaq Presario 5834....windows 98

Oh, BTW, another dumb question??? This has been happening for 2 days now. When I sign onto internet a error message comes up, something about MODEM....so, i troubleshooted and this is what i have to do to sign on now!

start,settings,CP,system....then see conexiant(spelling?) theres an (!), so i click on that and then click manual settings....OK......Problem fixed...BUT, its happening eveytime NOW, and its frustrating, what the hell is wrong here guys???? :confused: :lloyd:
And I don't want to have to pay some technology company freakin 45-50 bucks for something their gonna give me 50 million ppl in a 4 hr session and then have to pay a year for, ya know....

You'd be fine going with a USB printer.As for the Conexant modem prob,well they can be a real pain and giving advice that may not work would mean you couldn't get back onto the Net to find a solution or further troubleshoot.Usually I suggest removing the offending hardware via CP>system and then rebooting ,but modems sometimes refuse to be detected again and means loss of Internet.Do you have the driver CD for your comp?

A.B.Normal said:
You'd be fine going with a USB printer.As for the Conexant modem prob,well they can be a real pain and giving advice that may not work would mean you couldn't get back onto the Net to find a solution or further troubleshoot.Usually I suggest removing the offending hardware via CP>system and then rebooting ,but modems sometimes refuse to be detected again and means loss of Internet.Do you have the driver CD for your comp?

Yup, its disconnected, thnx to a long lost friend that did rebuild the modem once for me or something of that sorts, and never hooked it back up.
This is what I like to call, give the computer to GOODWILL and get a new one!!!! :D

Mare? Do not under any circumstances buy a Lexmark printer. They have some of the cheapest, but the quality isn't very good and the supplies are higher than heck.

Avoid both Lexmark and HP at all costs. Lexmark licences HP's print head technology, so they are actually one in the same, although Lexmark printers are notoriously cheaply made. Stick with Epson or Canon, preferably Epson. With both of these you can buy brand new third party print carts. HP puts the print head on the cart itself so third party manufacturers cannot duplicate it, whereas Epsona nd Canon have their printheads built into the printer. You can get Epson compatible carts for a about a third the price as genuine.

Look into the C6x, C8x, or R2xx based printers.

catocom said:
I just got one of these canons. They do way better than a cheaper version lex, or HP.

http://otcentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=397973&postcount=29

You still need a cable. I get them around here at walmart for about 10-15 bucks.

I just bought a dozen IP1500s for our stores (I'm trying to drag them kicking and screaming into the 21st century). A little noisy, but fast and the ink (same as yours?) is 7 bucks for black and 13 for color. Buy.com is closing them out at 48 dollars per (again, no cable). Office depot has them for a similar price. I have an S450 myself, wonder why they got away from individual color ink tanks ($$$$). I'll keep it for a while, it has the most easily refillable tanks I have ever seen. If your looking for photo quality though, Epson is the top of the line. If I was printing photo quality all the time I'd definitely have a high end 6 color Epson with a continuous flow ink system.

^^ wow, those are some speedy inkjets. but i'll survive with my 4ppm B&W HP Laserjet.

PostCode said:
Avoid both Lexmark and HP at all costs. Lexmark licences HP's print head technology, so they are actually one in the same, although Lexmark printers are notoriously cheaply made. Stick with Epson or Canon, preferably Epson. With both of these you can buy brand new third party print carts. HP puts the print head on the cart itself so third party manufacturers cannot duplicate it, whereas Epsona nd Canon have their printheads built into the printer. You can get Epson compatible carts for a about a third the price as genuine.

Look into the C6x, C8x, or R2xx based printers.
heh, and i was just about to recommend HP. I've never had a serious problem with an HP printer. Not that you're wrong about the evil practices of certain inkjet makers, the only inkjet i have much experience with is my parents' HP 812c and that works great until my brother drains the color cartridge and my Dad remembers how much they cost to replace. I'm a big fan of HP lasers. They are the only printers I've personally owned in the last 5-6 years. Bought a Laserjet IIp way back when it was already older than dirt for $50. 300dpi and 1.5~2ppm but it got the job done. Just gave that away a week ago and bought a toner cartridge for the Laserjet 5L I pulled out of a trash pile about a year ago. It's somewhat faster, the resolution is a whopping 600dpi (fine for text), and it tends to not feed pages very well, but I've got all of $30 invested in it so if it goes to hell it's not the end of the world, I just go find a new old HP laser. Theoretically, this printer ought to last me the next 10-15 years, the toner cartridge is rated for 2000 pages and I print maybe 150-200ppy. That works out to <$3.00/yr for the printer, not counting paper.

well, wal-mart is still wal-mart. IIRC best buy owns a cable company to they make mad profit on cables. a buddy who works there got a $30 usb for something like $1.80. If you find that you need a cable Mare, and you feel adventurous, you may want to check around fleabay and the greater Internet for cheap cables.

catocom said:
I thought the 1500s had just 2 cartriges. Oh well. :confused:

Here's a good deal on an epson I'd like to have, but couldn't afford it right now.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=28-103-164&DEPA=0
It does. :confused:

Tommyj, the older HPs were excellent, I have a 2000Cse (well, the wife does) as well as my Canon and a Samsung laser. My sister is using a Deskjet 870Cse that was mine for years then my Mom's till she died. The new ones don't seem like they have nearly the quality to me.

RE. cables, I use cablesnmore.com mostly.

Back