Prisoner of Azkaban

markjs

Banned
Two thumbs up! I just wish I could have seen the movies first and read the books after (save the best for last). I have a friend that won't even consider reading a Harry Potter book. He says Rowling is a hack and the books have no literary value. This is without even reading a review. Personally I think they are a moder children's classic and being an adult of almost 35 I respect the authors work and thouroughly enjoy the books and movies.

markjs

Banned
On the new Dumbledore, I thought that his acting was different than the orginal, but the look of him and the voice were close enough to maintain a necessary continuity.

Larner

Two thumbs up? For that skimming of the book? OMG, Sport!

I loved the cinematography, but felt I was only getting the highlights of the book. No real character development, no real story development. Trelawny was scalped to the bare minimum, as was Dumbledore, and we didn't get enough interaction between characters other than Hermione punching Malfoy to shake a stick at.

Jackson did far better with any one of the LOTR movies that Cuaron did with POA.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
NEW DUMBLEDORE??? momma nooooooooooooo

I rewatched the first and second movies in the past week...saw the first last Sunday and the second on Tuesday. Probably going to see the third one this weekend...I really need to get around to reading the books too.

chcr

Too cute for words
Nixy said:
NEW DUMBLEDORE??? momma nooooooooooooo

I rewatched the first and second movies in the past week...saw the first last Sunday and the second on Tuesday. Probably going to see the third one this weekend...I really need to get around to reading the books too.
Richard Harris died Nixy.

kuulani

I just don't like the new Dumbledore ... he didn't come across as "Dumbledore" to me, he looked just like a guy in pajamas. Richard Harris was a waaaaaaay better Dumbledore.

Although I probably will buy this one when it comes out, it wasn't as good as the first two. MY husband didn't read the book, and I had to explain so much to him that wasn't even hinted at in the movie.

markjs

Banned
Larner said:

I loved the cinematography, but felt I was only getting the highlights of the book. No real character development, no real story development. Trelawny was scalped to the bare minimum, as was Dumbledore, and we didn't get enough interaction between characters other than Hermione punching Malfoy to shake a stick at.

Jackson did far better with any one of the LOTR movies that Cuaron did with POA.

What is any movie derived from a book? I thought it was the best Haeey Potter film of the three.

BeardofPants

Larner said:

I agree with you on the cinematography bit... there was some really beautiful stuff in there, like the pendulum swinging. As for Jackson.... :grumpy:

BeardofPants

Oz said:
*hands BoP two valium and a humungus bucket of martini*

There there......it'll all fade away soon....

That's what they said three years ago when the monstrosities first previewed, and I've still got a sore ass where I shoved... erm.... NM. :blush: Gimme some of that valium :trippy:

Professur

No sir, I don't like it. Nope, don't like it at all.

It might have helped if the new director actually spoke english. The new dumbledore was pathetic. Nasal voice, and what's with the Cap't Lou rubber bands in the beard?

Seems to me they forgot a few things. Like the school robes for one. Magic for second. Hagrid's house wasn't down a freaking mountainside. There's no way in hell they could have hit the Whomping willow with it stuck out on a cliff like that.

If this is the future of the Harry Potter franchise, I'll pass. I thought the last book lacked the depth and character of the first few. If Rowland (or whatever her name is) signed off on this screenplay, she's evidently been reading too much of her own press and not enough of her own writing.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
NO SCHOOL ROBES?? Oh my oh my...

I'm gonna see if the boi wants to see it tomorrow afternoon matinee...then I'll give my opinions.

kuulani

Professur said:
Seems to me they forgot a few things. Like the school robes for one. Magic for second. Hagrid's house wasn't down a freaking mountainside. There's no way in hell they could have hit the Whomping willow with it stuck out on a cliff like that.

I didn't think the scenery matched up with the book either. Did you see how small they made the Whomping Willow? Now, how the hell could Mr. Weasley's car get stuck in that?!

& they made the Patronus spell seem so easy to do. C'mon now, the fact that they showed Harry producing one on his second try, puh-leeze! & they didn't explain why his patronus was a stag. My husband was confused about that.

& they didn't offer an explanation on who Wormtail, Moony, Padfoot & Prongs were either.