Privacy? Long gone & forgotten

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I hate cameras, in public or private. This is only a test for a larger system.

CHICAGO — Surveillance cameras — aimed at government buildings, train platforms and intersections here — might soon be required at corner taverns and swanky nightclubs.

Mayor Richard Daley wants to require bars open until 4 a.m. to install security cameras that can identify people entering and leaving the building. Other businesses open longer than 12 hours a day, including convenience stores, eventually would have to do the same.

USA Today

its only a privacy issue if they are aimed in your windows. all those places are public spots.

a private company that allows access to the general public. still regarded as a public place.

Spot said:
a private company that allows access to the general public. still regarded as a public place.

That's how I read the laws too. As much as I disagree with cameras at businesses and mounted on traffic lights, you're in public and by definition forfeit a certain amount of your reasonable expectation of privacy. That's why I stay home so much. Well, that and the rampant morons... :lloyd:

Now wait a minute. IF a company, out of its own interests, puts a camera up...so be it. I don't have to frequent that establishment. If the government demnds they put a camera up...we've now taken one step over the boundry.

There is such a thing as being alone in a crowd. Not when big brother is watching however.

Where you draw your boundaries for government interference never ceases to amaze me. I just chalk it up to your inimitable charm.

Gonz said:
Now wait a minute. IF a company, out of its own interests, puts a camera up...so be it. I don't have to frequent that establishment. If the government demnds they put a camera up...we've now taken one step over the boundry.

There is such a thing as being alone in a crowd. Not when big brother is watching however.
If they just listen to your phone calls it's ok though right?

Anyone else see how they were trying to use the surveillance cameras ant the convenience store in Nebraska to figure out who won the big powerball jackpot Saturday? Privacy has been gone for a long time. Some people are just starting to notice.

chcr said:
Anyone else see how they were trying to use the surveillance cameras ant the convenience store in Nebraska to figure out who won the big powerball jackpot Saturday? Privacy has been gone for a long time. Some people are just starting to notice.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to chcr again.

I've just come to assume that any sound that breaks the boundaries of my own brain and comes out of my mouth is probably public record.

chcr said:

And those of us who complained were told we had no right to privacy :shrug:

You have no right to privacy. Look it up. That doesn't mean I have to like it. (or that I've just noticed).

SnP said:
Where you draw your boundaries for government interference never ceases to amaze me.

Gimme examples & I'll clarify.

Gonz said:
You have no right to privacy. Look it up. That doesn't mean I have to like it. (or that I've just noticed).
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were one. You don't have a right to privacy. It used to be respected rather more than it is now though.

Gonz said:

Gimme examples & I'll clarify.
Listening to your phone calls?

SouthernN'Proud said:
I bet you can figger it out.

A country at war does things that would normally be considered outrageous & can get away with it, and they should be able to. This is typically done to an identifiable group...not the nation as a whole.

I assume that's where you're heading.

Back