Prof - Wanna build a rail-gun over the weekend?

I've been trying to get you to come pick up that damn mac, and now you've time to build a rail gun?

Yeah, why not. I suppose you want to use my shed?

See the page? He's got the whole damn step by step laid out, including blueprints. All he's missing is a buyers guide for the local Radio Scrap.

:shrug:

Addison. Maybe KGE. Capacitors like that you really want to get from salvage or surplus. They'll cost maybe $10 a piece as opposed to $149.

there was extensive rail and armature erosion

Ya think? :lol: Let's build one and shoot at crows. Of course, It'll probably be necessary to find out what may be in orbit behind the crow in case we miss...

Addison. Maybe KGE. Capacitors like that you really want to get from salvage or surplus. They'll cost maybe $10 a piece as opposed to $149.

So...it's possible to do a rail-gun on the cheap?

that's just friggin' scary...
basic electronics+basic equipment+basic fanaticism=something that could take out a plane from the ground using a carriage bolt.

So...it's possible to do a rail-gun on the cheap?

that's just friggin' scary...
basic electronics+basic equipment+basic fanaticism=something that could take out a plane from the ground using a carriage bolt.

Hell, why would you go to all that trouble to take down a plane. You can buy various shoulder launched AA ordinance (heat-seekers even) pretty darn cheap and you don't have to spend all that time making it work. The US military has already worked all the bugs out for you. ;)

Um ... yeah. Shouldn't cost much more than the EMP gun. Most of the same parts. With a good surplus yard handy, shouldn't cost more than $500 to replicate what he's got. Most of the cost of something like that is when you screw up and have to start again. He's already done that for you.

Oh, believe me ... that blueberry pos is gonna take a swan dive off the top rack if he doesn't get his ass in gear.

Y'know, the old "Hey 'yall, watch this" just screams out from this thread, doesn't it?

The prototype fired at Dahlgren is only an 8-megajoule electromagnetic device, but the one to be used on Navy ships will generate a massive 64 megajoules. Current Navy guns generate about 9 megajoules of muzzle energy.

The railgun's 200 to 250 nautical-mile range will allow Navy ships to strike deep in enemy territory while staying out of reach of hostile forces.

Rear Adm. William E. "Bill" Landay, chief of Naval Research, said Navy railgun progress from the drawing board to reality has been rapid.

"A year ago, this was [just] a good idea we all wanted to pursue," he said.

Elizabeth D'Andrea of the Office of Naval Research said a 32-megajoule lab gun will be delivered to Dahlgren in June.

Charles Garnett, project director, called the projectile fired by the railgun "a supersonic bullet," and the weapon itself is "a very simple device."

He compared the process to charging up a battery on the flash of a digital camera, then pushing the button and "dumping that charge," producing a magnetic field that drives the metal-cased ordnance instead of gun powder.

The projectile fired yesterday weighed only 3.2 kilograms and had no warhead. Future railgun ordnance won't be large and heavy, either, but will deliver the punch of a Tomahawk cruise missile because of the immense speed of the projectile at impact.

Garnett compared that force to hitting a target with a Ford Taurus at 380 mph. "It will take out a building," he said. Warheads aren't needed because of the massive force of impact.

Source

Great, so now terrorists don't have to fly planes into our buildings, they can just steal a Railgun and do it from 200 miles away!

Well, I guess there's the fact that it's unreasonably large for a group of terrorists to just sneak off with. At least, a railgun that can do any serious damage, anyway...

Back