quitting is for christians

Slim Pickens

I would like to point out that in true Catholic dogma, Tracy has never been "married", as true Catholic dogma does not recognize marriages from other faiths, with a few exceptions (Anglican, Episcopalian, etc.) Plus, as already pointed out, Tracy is Christian, not Catholic. We used to live in the most concentrated (per capita) Catholic area in the country-South Louisiana. We had many friends who were practicing Catholics, as well as some of my in-laws in my Mom's family. I always saw Lent as a great opportunity to go through a "cleansing" experience to come closer to God.
BTW, I would like to note that I have found intolerance and hypocracy in several Christian denominations-Tonks might remember "Six Flags over Jesus" in DS, LA :devious:

chcr

Too cute for words
Actually, no small number of christian denominations will tell you that catholics are not, in fact, christians.

Professur

Slim Pickens said:
I would like to point out that in true Catholic dogma, Tracy has never been "married", as true Catholic dogma does not recognize marriages from other faiths, with a few exceptions (Anglican, Episcopalian, etc.) Plus, as already pointed out, Tracy is Christian, not Catholic. We used to live in the most concentrated (per capita) Catholic area in the country-South Louisiana. We had many friends who were practicing Catholics, as well as some of my in-laws in my Mom's family. I always saw Lent as a great opportunity to go through a "cleansing" experience to come closer to God.
BTW, I would like to note that I have found intolerance and hypocracy in several Christian denominations-Tonks might remember "Six Flags over Jesus" in DS, LA :devious:

I'm anglican.

Starya

Ah ain't gonna be givin up nuthn! Nuthn!

But as soon as payday is here I might "give up" my old monitor. :grinyes:

MrBishop

Gotholic said:
To give up things you like during lent is a Catholic behavior. Even if I was wrong to assume she was Catholic (whch I may have) it is still a general Chrisitan belief to repent for one's sins.

It would contradict the Christian faith to believe it is alright not to repent. I was only pointing that out - nothing more.
Lent is not just for Catholics though... Anglicans (protestants) do Lent just as well as the next guy. :)

No Colas for me; diet or otherwise :(

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Jeez, what a hornets nest.

I, believing that lent was Catholic, almost exclusively, and being raised in a Catholic home (paternally), saw what appeared to be a conflict of interest & commented on it.

How Unc & Tonks (and now Slim) chose to deal with their life is none of our business.

Having said life open on a public bulletin board lends creedence to comment on it though. In my never to be humble opinion, ganging up on Gotholic is uncalled for. Just as some openly discuss their views & lifestyle choices (sexuality, living in sin, out of wedlock births, atheism, etc) he is equally allowed to express his views from a religious perspective & the Catholic church does not condone such actions. I don't particularly agree with the teaching or the preaching, but if we're gonna not knock open sexuality, why knock mortal sin?

tonksy

I just find it odd that's my situation's not a problem until I mention the slightest hint of religious belief. Then people come out of the woodwork to push me down and talk about what a huge sinner I am. Well yeah, duh, I am a sinner. So are we all. How is it remotely Christian to act in that manner? OOH OOH I'm a bigger Christian than you. God likes me more :rolleyes:

Professur

paul_valaru said:
screw you I`M the chosen people

40 years to cross a desert that's only a week's walk across. Yeah, God wasn't yanking your chain at all. He just(23, bastard) wanted you to see the scenic route.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
tonksy said:
I just find it odd that's my situation's not a problem until I mention the slightest hint of religious belief. Then people come out of the woodwork to push me down and talk about what a huge sinner I am. Well yeah, duh, I am a sinner. So are we all. How is it remotely Christian to act in that manner? OOH OOH I'm a bigger Christian than you. God likes me more :rolleyes:

*Ponders continuuing the discussion, hoping that the intellectual debate can be seperated by the emotional one & realizes this is not the RW*

tonksy

Gonz, my problem is not with you, you presented yourself maturely and stated a question, listened to my responses, and asked counterquestions. Someone else did not...but you are right, this is not the RW.

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
40 years to cross a desert that's only a week's walk across. Yeah, God wasn't yanking your chain at all. He just(23, bastard) wanted you to see the scenic route.

I always wondered about that. Given the history of the Jewish people, you have to wonder what they were chosen for. j/k :lol:

chcr

Too cute for words
It always amazes me not just (look, I spelled it right) that people believe in god but that they further believe that god is benevolent. :shrug: Have they not been paying attention?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
First he flooded shit & killed all but a select few.

The he said, damn, sorry...fuck it you're on your own.

seems clear enough to me that he is ROFLHAOPHP

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Being Baptist, I don't do the Lent thing. I had a Catholic friend in college who gave up pizza. This is a guy who ate pizza daily, so it really was a sacrifice for him. Naturally, a bunch of us ordered pizza all the time to torment him...but he made it. That 41st day, we took him to the best pizza place in town (chcr, remember Maseratti's?) and bought him whatever he wanted. Dude ate a large by himself except for a couple slices. His dedication really impressed me.

If I were to try and do this, I would try to give up cornbread. I don't think AE would want to be around me after a week or so though. SnP likes him some cornbread.