Rep. McKinney Beats the Rap in D.C.

highwayman

This proves a ditzy rep is above the law...

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/6/16/222710.shtml?s=ic
A grand jury declined Friday to indict Rep. Cynthia McKinney in connection with a confrontation in which she admitted hitting a police officer who tried to stop her from entering a House office building.

The grand jury had been considering the case since shortly after the March 29 incident, which has led to much discussion on Capitol Hill about race and the conduct of lawmakers and the officers who protect them.

"We respect the decision of the grand jury in this difficult matter," said U.S. Attorney Kenneth Wainstein.

His statement, released late Friday, also included support for the officer involved, Paul McKenna, and the Capitol Police. He said, "This is a tremendously difficult job, and it is one that Officer McKenna and his colleagues perform with the utmost professionalism and dignity."

HomeLAN

Color me disappointed, but completely unsurprised.

Gee, wonder what would've happened to me if I'd slapped a cop? Oh yeah, I'd be under the jail. How about a white, male republican house member? I'm betting indictment.

Dear little Cynthia is right about one thing, though - her race and sex certainly did play a role. They got her excused.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
OK, the Republican Tom DeLay steps down from his post & then subsequently resigns because of charges to a crime that didn't exist at the time.

Democrat Cynthia McKinney gets off scott free from an admitted & witnessed act of violence & Democrat William Jefferson has to be removed from the Ways & Means Committee pending a bribery charge.

Ethics, huh?

HomeLAN

United States Rep. Cynthia McKinney, embroiled in controversy since a March 29 altercation with Capitol Hill police and facing a tough Democratic primary in her Georgia district, has demanded that the Atlanta Journal Constitution retract an editorial critical of her.

Contrary to other media reports, McKinney has not yet filed a lawsuit against the newspaper, according to her attorney.

Capitol Hill Officer Paul McKenna stopped McKinney in March when she tried to bypass a metal detector. She was not at the time wearing a pin identifying her as a member of Congress. According to the police report, McKinney struck the officer "in his chest with a closed fist."

In a July 30 editorial, the Atlanta Journal Constitution (AJC) wrote that McKinney "slugged [McKenna] with her cellphone," and the newspaper criticized the congresswoman for a statement she made in 2002 about the worst terrorist attacks in U.S. history.

According to the Atlanta paper, McKinney had "suggested that President Bush had known in advance about the Sept. 11, attacks but did nothing to stop them so his friends could profit from the ensuing war."

In a July 31 letter to the editor and publisher of the newspaper, McKinney's lawyer, J.M. Raffauf, demanded a retraction based on Georgia libel law. The letter did not explicitly threaten a lawsuit, but demanded a retraction.

In the letter, Raffauf called the newspaper's characterization of the Capitol Police incident a "false allegation [that] is not supported by any witness or any other evidence." It accused AJC editor Cynthia Tucker of "maliciously attempting to spin this into a felony by falsely alleging that she assaulted the officer with a deadly weapon."

Under Georgia law, if a potential plaintiff requests in writing that a newspaper retract allegedly libelous statements and the newspaper does retract them within seven days, the plaintiff would not be entitled to punitive damages.

Conversely, if the potential plaintiff requests a retraction but the newspaper refuses, the plaintiff may seek punitive damages through a libel suit, using the letter as evidence of a request for retraction.

More

The amusing part is that Tucker, the columnist she names, leans so damn far left that she's in constant danger of tipping over.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
has demanded that the Atlanta Journal Constitution retract an editorial critical of her.

She can maintain & espouse her opinion of Bush but the local rag had better not do the same of her.

HomeLAN

Thus far, the AJC has told her to stick it where the sun don't shine. A rare display of backbone from our local rag.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
HomeLAN said:
Color me disappointed, but completely unsurprised.

Gee, wonder what would've happened to me if I'd slapped a cop? Oh yeah, I'd be under the jail. How about a white, male republican house member? I'm betting indictment.

Speak for yourself. If I'd've slapped a cop the result would've made the Rodney King beating look like a picnic.

HomeLAN said:
Dear little Cynthia is right about one thing, though - her race and sex certainly did play a role. They got her excused.

I beg to differ. It was her status that got her off. That she was a minority and female was just gravy.

Winky

I think Blacks have the right to beat down the police any time they want!

er no wait

um nevermind...

2minkey

bootlicker
Gato_Solo said:
Speak for yourself. If I'd've slapped a cop the result would've made the Rodney King beating look like a picnic.

I beg to differ. It was her status that got her off. That she was a minority and female was just gravy.

and i thought everybody was equal like THE LAW says. better get my head out of "leave it to beaver" world and face the cruel, cruel truth.

i guess status does equal justice.

2minkey

bootlicker
Winky said:
I think Blacks have the right to beat down the police any time they want!

er no wait

um nevermind...

no dude it's the police that THINK they have the right to beat on african-americans... or at least that's the way it was in detroit.

and that's COOL. because cops are cool. like the guy i met one st. patrick's day who intro'd himself as a detroit cop, that was "hoping to be personally involved" in the next malice green type beating. http://www.celebritymorgue.com/malice-green/

now that guy was COOL! someday i want to be like him. step one: begin authority-worship program. better go get signed up....

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
2minkey said:
no dude it's the police that THINK they have the right to beat on african-americans...

Why would they want to beat on Teresa Heinz-Kerry?

Cerise

As I remember the whole thing started because the police didn't recognize her with her new look:

McKinneyDual.jpg

I was a lifelong Heinz ketchup user until:

kerry_howells.jpg

I felt I had to switch to Hunt's

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out

DECATUR, Ga. (AP) -- Cynthia McKinney, the fiery Georgia congresswoman known for her conspiracy theories about the Sept. 11 attacks and the scuffle she had earlier this year with a U.S. Capitol police officer, lost a runoff election Tuesday for her district's Democratic nomination.

Attorney Hank Johnson, a former county commissioner, won the nomination with 59 percent of the vote, surpassing McKinney by more than 11,000 votes.

Source