Repellent.

Professur

I'd heard that new regs have reduced the maximum amount of deet in repellent sprays to 30%. Whalll, while browsing the shelves, I just happened to spot a bottle of Deep Woods with a slightly different label. Jackpot. 95% deet. Stock up while you can still find it, folks.

Stocked up when they did it here several years ago.....I'd have to look to see what the count is now in Repel bottles. Its low, I know that. You have to really read to find the good stuff. Some excellent stuff came in a bright-orange bottle, VERY strong, worked great. Name esapes me. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd have to go dig it out of the camping boxes.

Never seen orange bottles, that I can recall.

With West Nile scaring the bejessus outta everyone up here, I'm seeing a shitload of new "repellent" products. I'm thinking of giving the Druid soap a shot. Dunno what the active ingredient is supposed to be, tho.

This stuff came in small blaze-orange/black squirt bottles similar to the Repel stuff in white/green bottles. Potent liquid. Seems the liquid stuff does better than the aersol repellent.

Never heard of the Druid stuff....is it like a lotion then?

There's a line of Druid products. I was thinking of the bar of soap they offer. That way, if it doesn't work, at least I can still get clean with it.

bensmax2.jpg

Looks like its also 95% DEET.

Boy, I'm glad we don't have to contend with mozzies.... yet! Damn things always think it's party time when I'm around. :(

it probably increases the risk of cancer in lab rats when they're ejected with 8oz. for three years

Well deet is been linked to problems with children and growth. Also it has been linked to yes cancer (which everything causes some risk of) among some skin problems! I miss the good ole days of the high content of deet where I didn't get bothered by a bug whatsoever now its like spray on every 10 mins to keep them away!

down here it isn't the mosquitos so much as the damned biting gnats. Ouch.

I found some mystery stuff called DeBug-D that seems to work pretty well. It keeps everything away... gnats, mosquitos, horse/deer flies, small animals, reptiles, females...

Maybe all the bugs know something we don't know which is why they stay away. :laugh:

I'm already at a high risk for skin cancer, I'll stick to Avon's Skin-So-Soft, thanks. ;)

Deet was killing pets when they put it in flea & tick spray. While each of the chemicals used to create it are safe, when combined, they make a lethal concoction. I don't think it was ever responsible for human deaths but I'm not sure...:retard: I think it was Hartz Mountain Blockade that started the anti deet movement...

What I heard was that deet can supposedly cause neurological problems. Don't have any idea if it is remotely true though.

Back