Resolutions.

I used to listen to audio books back in the day when I was doing embroidery. T'was ok.

Don't think it would do me much good these days though. Having trouble keeping my mind from wandering when reading or even watching movies.

tonksy said:
Have you tried audio books? I'm hooked! Except for the one we are listening to now, it's read by William Shatner and his voice grates on my nerves.

You are aware these are now available for download through the Cobb Library system, no? 21 day license.

HomeLAN said:
You are aware these are now available for download through the Cobb Library system, no? 21 day license.
Cool beans. I used to go to the library all the time in Louisiana, haven't been here. Rob seems to have some kind of distain for it. We get alot of audio books from his dad.

I never understood audiobooks except for people who take long trips in the car. I like to concentrate on reading and shut everything else out. If you're doing that anyway while you're listening, why not just get it done faster and read it? Or are you doing other things while you're listening like the dishes or something?

And yes, William Shatner's voice is very annoying. I mute him or turn the channel whenever I hear his voice.

tonksy said:
Cool beans. I used to go to the library all the time in Louisiana, haven't been here. Rob seems to have some kind of distain for it. We get alot of audio books from his dad.

It used to be mediocre. That's changed. They've embraced the digtal/web age in a biiiiig way. It's worthwhile, and then some.

We mainly listen in the car but audio books were great when we were painting the kitchen cabinets and the diningroom.

greenfreak said:
I never understood audiobooks except for people who take long trips in the car. I like to concentrate on reading and shut everything else out. If you're doing that anyway while you're listening, why not just get it done faster and read it? Or are you doing other things while you're listening like the dishes or something?

And yes, William Shatner's voice is very annoying. I mute him or turn the channel whenever I hear his voice.
Audiobooks on a long trip would probably put me to sleep. :D I must have music of some sort when driving.

I used audiobooks when getting ready for class and the 20-min drive to/from campus. I stopped listening to them when I got a CD player for the car because the library only carried cassettes at the time.

Inkara1 said:
My New Year's reaolution is 1280x1024... same as it was last year.

You do know that you need a screen with that aspect ratio in order for that resolution to work fine, right?

After much thinking, I have decided that if shit breaks, I will fix it the right way, and not do some temporary half-assed workaround.

Luis G said:
You do know that you need a screen with that aspect ratio in order for that resolution to work fine, right?
I've got a 17" LCD and 1280x1024 is the "native resolution."

I still wonder why do they make those with that 'odd' aspect ratio :shrug:

Audiobooks ar a godsend. I recently discovered our library has them & also has downloadable ones...though they're one long file, as opposed to several "chapters"

The only audiobooks available at our local library are soppy lovestories and really old radiostories.

Do you sometimes feel that the person reading the book is not doing it justice, or that their voice makes you picture a character differently than you initially did?

Some books are butchered by the reader. I had to turn one off because the readers voice gave me goosebumps, and not in a good way.

The best I've heard was Perfume by Patrick Süskind, read by an actor called Toralf Maurstad. He did a mighty fine job.

AlphaTroll said:
The only audiobooks available at our local library are soppy lovestories and really old radiostories.

Do you sometimes feel that the person reading the book is not doing it justice, or that their voice makes you picture a character differently than you initially did?
The interior monologue that cranks up in my head sometimes is terrible for the book, but that's just me. :retard:

Finish the baby room by end of January.
Get a full-time job before then
Get my email-out going to boost my freelance work. Get 2 new customers per month.
Audiobooks are great. I use them during my nightly walks. Everything's on MP3 and although it's more difficult to get free audiobooks of quality, the semi-crappy ones are still abundant.

Gutenberg live-read books
Gutenberg Computer-read books

The best that I've heard thus far was "Dante's Inferno" read by John Cleese.

Back