Respiratiors

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Ha!!!. Eat my shorts.

Look, ya cheap bastard. This is your safety we're talking about here. That phrase "good ventilation" is not as general as you think. Good ventilation means outdoors and upwind.

Risk phrases
(The meaning of any risk phrases which appear in this section is given here.)
R35. (R35 is the only risk phrase given in Annex I. However, clearly a strongly corrosive material can cause serious harm if inhaled or ingested, so this should be treated as though R20 R21 R22 were also specified.)

Did you even check the risk phrases?

Professur

I've tried everything. But it's not the ants existance that's my problem, but they're carpenter ants. The ants themselves disappear up my shopvac along with the sawdust and it gets flooded after every workday. That's not the problem, tho. It's the newspaper that they stuffed the walls with. I have to repair the wood damage, but opening the wall exposes the saturated paper and fentex inside. That's the dangerous bit.

chcr

Too cute for words
If it's so bad, why isn't it killing the flammin ants??

Isn't there something specific for carpenter ants? Seems like, anyway. If I remember tonight when I get home (and if I can be arsed to) I'll look at a couple of books (paper things bound in covers, used to be an acceptable way of finding things out once upon a time ;) ). Seems like I've read somewhere about that. I know they're hard to get rid of once you have an infestation, but you know it too.

catocom

Yes. Use KY.

Cat, please tel me you don't use vaseline for lubrication while wearing a condom, and if you do, stop now. Petroleum jelly is fine for neoprene and many other synthetics, but it destroys rubber. If in doubt use KY or some similar water-based lubricant (Don't personally know about the anal lube there prof... :lol: ).

Nixy's right though. I'd either get the proper mask or hire it done myself although I have used cat's solution for spraying laquer.

chic, I've never used a condom.:bgpimp:

I did some checking, and Petroleum jelly is bad for most rubber types.
I saw some suggestions for using it with o-rings in jet maintenance jobs, but
rubber for like fuel... is different from just regular rubber I guess.

I learned something.:nerd:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Isn't there something specific for carpenter ants? Seems like, anyway. If I remember tonight when I get home (and if I can be arsed to) I'll look at a couple of books (paper things bound in covers, used to be an acceptable way of finding things out once upon a time ;) ). Seems like I've read somewhere about that. I know they're hard to get rid of once you have an infestation, but you know it too.
Please do, we have a problem too. :(

chcr

Too cute for words
From a book on pest control from the Handyman's Companion Magazine:

Carpenter ant damage usually indicates water damage and wood decay.

Many times you can see what looks like sawdust near their galleries. This sawdust or frass, is shredded fragments of wood that has been ejected from the galleries. This is a good indication that a nest is nearby. But sometimes this evidence is undetectable, but using a screwdriver to probe the wood near a suspicious are may reveal the excavated galleries. Also, you use the blunt end of the screwdriver to tap along baseboards and other wood surfaces, listening for the hollow sound of damaged wood. If a nest is nearby, often the carpenter ants will respond by making a rustling sound within the nest, similar to the sound of crinkling cellophane.

Deltamethrin and Cypermethrin (those are active ingredients, not brand names) are supposed to be good. They recommend aerosol delivery (sprays) and quarterly treatments.

If you're going to use an aerosol, look for "low VOC" (volatile organic compound) and only spray when you can get everyone (including pets) out for a few hours if at all possible.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member

I seem to remember using Chlordane Dust back when I lived with the parents in the 70's. I'm not sure if its been banned, but it probably will be soon enough. If its effective, it doesn't last long...

]Try here for additional info.

K62

It's why the military doesn't allow facial hair. The seal around the face cannot be made with hair in the way.

That's right.. Any of our boys heading to the gulf need to be clean shaved for that reason.

chcr

Too cute for words
More people have died since & because of its banning than ever could have been hurt from its continued use.

That's the honest truth. Surprising that every time any sane person suggests reinstating it the "environmental" folk have a collective cow.