Road-kill cuisine

MrBishop

Allright...fess up! Who else has eaten road-kill? I'm talking about the fresh stuff that you mowed down yourself.

Twice in 1 month, I've had road-kill. One, I hit myself...the other was hit by a family friend.

I took out a quail of good size (luckily, the minivan didn't crack a windshield)... which was damn tasty, thank you.

The friend dented a good chunk of his hood thanks to a suicidal deer, and I got to split a rack of ribs last Saturday night at my in-laws. Might tasty, and no bullet-fragments to eat around. :)

So...beyond the odd squirrel, cat, dog or skunk...what have you hit and eaten?

Bish, given that harvesting road kill is a felony in quebec, I'd recommend you delete this post haste.

Oddly enough, I never have.
I had a weimeraner that used to kill geese but by the time I pulled her off of them and put her back in the house or backyard and cleaned the feathers out of her mouth one of the neighbors had always removed all evidence. Never did find out which one it was but they got at least 5 goose dinners that way.

Should have tossed the dog into the house then grabbed the bird..
It could have been another animal that made the get away...

And get bloody feathers are over the house? Naw, Turtle liked to pull out the feathers and always had quite a mouthful stuck to her teeth, tongue, gums, and the roof of her mouth. Weird dog.

Bish, given that harvesting road kill is a felony in quebec, I'd recommend you delete this post haste.

You're assuming two things...one, the kill was ...er...harvested in Quebec and two, that there's any evidence worth a shit anymore. ;)

That actually kind of grosses me out. Road kill stew is fun to sing about in Boy Scouts, but I don't think I could ever actually bring myself to eating it.

Well.... you've got a dead deer on your hands. If you'd shot it, it'd be just as dead...so, what else do you do with 80-100lbs of venison? Leave it for the buzzards?

In my case, the quail didn't even hit the ground, but got stuck under the wipers.

If you don't have a tag, definitely. Otherwise it's got another name: Poaching.
And while I don't know for sure the laws in Ontario and NY, I know for Quebec, you're not allowed to tag roadkill, even if you have a tag to use.

Any reason for that?
If you ran over an eatable animal and decide to eat it why should that be a felony? :confuse3:
The two obvious reasons would be because the Dept of Natural Resources (game wardens) wouldn't make any money on it and because it's not a deer counted as 'harvested'. Mostly it's politics, but a lot has to do with preventing hunters from illegally taking more deer than the herd can support. I know some states you have to call the game warden if you hit a deer. Depending on local laws, the warden will either collect the deer himself to be destroyed, some will allow you to claim it if you have an unused hunting tag, and some will actually issue you a tag over and above your entitled hunting tags and allow you to take the deer as harvest. It all depends on the local laws. Quebec doesn't allow anyone other than the warden to take roadkill, or even to put down an injured animal.

I don't know about you guys, but over here we have these things called bugs that fly through the air and splat against the front bumper and radiator grille. Then, when you hit something and turn it into roadkill, it seems like those bugs might be driven in, in addition to the natural road grime that collects on the front of a car. Meanwhile, a bullet only gets into one area.

Inkara1 said:
Then, when you hit something and turn it into roadkill, it seems like those bugs might be driven in, in addition to the natural road grime that collects on the front of a car.

There is a secrete to that, cook the meat first and don't use the mangled parts, venison is venison when you are hungry...

And get bloody feathers are over the house? Naw, Turtle liked to pull out the feathers and always had quite a mouthful stuck to her teeth, tongue, gums, and the roof of her mouth. Weird dog.

Remember, she ate the bathroom door, also...VERY weird dog...

Back